Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mental resilience

Ignoramus30509 wrote:

On 2011-01-06, Wes wrote:
Think about people you would take with you to a recon mission, and
those you would not.

Very few and those would tend to be game hunters.

Oddly enough, the friend who I had in mind as someone I would go to a
recon mission, happens to be a game hunter. Interesting observation Wes.

There is a long history of those that hunt excelling in the military. Everything from
guys walking point, sniping, or being gunners on bombers back in WWII.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 11:22:01 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Only 1,500 people died out of 336,000 people, however this was due to
the very localized nature of the incident and the fact that the other
334,500 people were able to evacuate a relatively short distance to
areas where infrastructure was intact. Had this not been the case, the
bulk of those 334,500 other people would not have survived.

I don't think any real collapse of civilization is likely in any of our
lifetimes, however I do think that the Great Global Tidy Bowl Swirl (tm)
is going to continue and overall conditions will continue to
deteriorate. I'm not so much into the "survivalist" thing, but I do
think it is a reasonable goal to become as self reliant and self
sufficient as practical so as to minimize the impact of the continued
decline on yourself and your family.

What amazes me is that the insurance company and gov't both allowed
them to rebuild in the same sinkhole after it dried out. Amazing.
Head-up-their-asses Dumb, too.

Two points to remember:

1. Insurance companies exist to make a profit, not to make anything
safer. The insurance premiums the people rebuilding are paying are
supposed to be proportional to the risk of claims. The insurance
companies will make a profit from those premiums if they have calculated
the risks of future claims properly.

2. The government might be able to buy out and eliminate people living
in some Super Fund spot where the people don't want to live anyway, but
there is/was no way they could get away with eliminating a place like
New Orleans. They would have ended up stuck re-enginering the entire
city for trillions of dollars if they pushed too hard. As it is they
didn't want to pay just to rebuild the levies properly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

All they had to do was scream 'RACISTS!!!'

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus30509 wrote:

Why is it, that some people are more resilient to stress and keep
acting rationally, whereas some others, at the first trouble, break
down completely, start getting hysterical, blame others instead of
being constructive, etc?

Think about people you would take with you to a recon mission, and
those you would not.

Genetics. Contrary to the feel-good ideal of "all men created equal",
the reality is that is anything but the truth.

Oh, were _created_ equal. What you do with that from that point on is
up to you.

Yea, the Nobel laureat and the poor slob living in the group home were
created equal... Sorry, that "created equal" ideal is simply not true.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 14:31:15 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus30509 wrote:

Why is it, that some people are more resilient to stress and keep
acting rationally, whereas some others, at the first trouble, break
down completely, start getting hysterical, blame others instead of
being constructive, etc?

Think about people you would take with you to a recon mission, and
those you would not.

Genetics. Contrary to the feel-good ideal of "all men created equal",
the reality is that is anything but the truth.

Oh, were _created_ equal. What you do with that from that point on is
up to you.

Yea, the Nobel laureat and the poor slob living in the group home were
created equal... Sorry, that "created equal" ideal is simply not true.

DBAD, Pete.

The best grok of this I have heard is from Michael Prell. He said, in
the _Underdogma_ book preview I read:

The Declaration also held that 'all men are created equal.' But it did
not promise all men that they would live their entire lives equally,
or achieve equal outcomes. Alexis de Tocqueville correctly called
American equality the "equality of conditions" writing that, because
our abilities are all different, "man cannot prevent their unequal
distribution." Among the unalienable rights spelled out in our
Declaration are the rights to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of
Happiness. If one man’s pursuit of happiness makes him wealthier than
another man, it is the duty of the American government to secure that
man’s wealth, not to disparage him for having earned it, or to
confiscate it or, as Barack Obama said, to‚ spread the wealth around
to underdogs.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope

What type of finish should I put on my handmade mallet to increase its resilience? NOSPAM Woodworking 3 March 31st 08 01:35 AM
Mental Whiplash charlie b Woodworking 15 June 16th 06 06:24 PM
Mental Abuse [email protected] Electronics Repair 11 February 15th 06 01:25 AM
Which mental deficient ... raden UK diy 9 January 23rd 06 02:37 AM
OT - A visit to the mental asylum Cliff Metalworking 5 December 3rd 05 05:22 PM