Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sorta on topic... 110V devices in 220V countries

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've heard that many tribal people have no concept
of microbes. The oxen may be grazing and performing
bodily waste near the well.

Very true. The village we go to has no clue. In fact, when we went there,
the ground was covered by feces from the goats and wild turkeys. The kids
would walk barefoot with cuts and get white-pussy infections. We would clean
them out and send them home with a band aid over the cut and instructions on
how to change it and use anti-biotic ointments.

My point here is that most of the kids had no clue what a band aid was or
that the cut was infected. they just saw it as an injury that may go away or
may not...

Basic education and skill building via long term relationships is what I'm
into. The infrastructure work I do there is all a means to accomplish that
goal.

All they know is that their well watr turns red when exposed to air. They
know water that is not clear is no good so they will not drink it. They
would rather drink from the stream 3-4 miles away that the kids and aminals
**** in.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
You should look into solar chargers. Africa has a lot of
sunshine. Maybe a bit too much, at times.

If we had a bit more time, I'd offer to wire you such a
device (suitcase with power cord, step down transformer, and
lots of 110 VAC outlets).

They work better in the daytime than at night... which is when they want
to recharge their stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:27:15 -0500, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

[...]

In rural west Africa in many places even the concept of a (pit)
latrine is somewhat foreign. This week THAT tree or corner is the
"outhouse", a few weeks later a different one.
I found the soil to be very smelly compared to East Africa. So it's
not just animal feces.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For some devices. Wall warts that convert to DC output
should be OK.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Boris Kapusta" wrote in message

Frequency is some countries may not be 60hz so voltage might
not be
the only concern.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You have a skyscraper size task ahead of you. If the
villagers do learn about microbes (etc) they may very well
be blessed with improved health, etc. I wish you all the
best. It has every potential to be rich and rewarding.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, there you go again. Using logic, common sense and
intelligence to blow holes in my otherwise good idea. Gaaah!
I can't stand it when my perfectly good idea is shown to be
useless.

(Glad you noticed now, instead of after I built a charge
panel!)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Courtney" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
You should look into solar chargers. Africa has a lot of
sunshine. Maybe a bit too much, at times.

If we had a bit more time, I'd offer to wire you such a
device (suitcase with power cord, step down transformer,
and
lots of 110 VAC outlets).

They work better in the daytime than at night... which
is when they want
to recharge their stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sounds like a terrible case of infection gone wild.
It would be a great improvement, if they would
understand and use indoor plumbing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

In rural west Africa in many places even the concept
of a (pit) latrine is somewhat foreign. This week
THAT tree or corner is the "outhouse", a few weeks
later a different one. I found the soil to be very smelly
compared to East Africa. So it's not just animal feces.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 19:58:19 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sounds like a terrible case of infection gone wild.
It would be a great improvement, if they would
understand and use indoor plumbing.

Outdoor privys would be a good start. Gotta learn to stand up before
you walk, before you run, so to speek.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rural west Africa in many places even the concept of a (pit)
latrine is somewhat foreign. This week THAT tree or corner is the
"outhouse", a few weeks later a different one.
I found the soil to be very smelly compared to East Africa. So it's
not just animal feces.

You are correct. It was not uncommon to have kids simply walk a few feet
away from us and relieve themselves on my last trip. ...Lack of education
IMHO as the parents and otehr adults didn't do that. ...Of course, the pit
they used was in a hut that was about as nasty as climbing halfway into a
septic tank so I almost don't blame them. ...I used the wooded areas rather
than the pit.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

In rural west Africa in many places even the concept of a (pit)
latrine is somewhat foreign. This week THAT tree or corner is the
"outhouse", a few weeks later a different one.
I found the soil to be very smelly compared to East Africa. So it's
not just animal feces.

You are correct. It was not uncommon to have kids simply walk a few feet
away from us and relieve themselves on my last trip. ...Lack of education
IMHO as the parents and other adults didn't do that. ...Of course, the pit
they used was in a hut that was about as nasty as climbing halfway into a
septic tank so I almost don't blame them. ...I used the wooded areas rather
than the pit.

This thread reminds me of my days in the Boy Scouts. On one camping
trip I was teaching the class on the proper way to dig a latrine. One
smartass unzipped his pants to **** in the hole I was digging. I dumped
a shovel full of dirt into his pants before he could ****, and continued
the lesson without pausing. The other Scouts teased him about it the
rest of the week... ;-)

Teflon coated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Are you guys taking up donations to get the JF a privy?

What is a "JF"?