DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Name That Tool (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/316219-name-tool.html)

Winston December 30th 10 06:26 AM

Name That Tool

During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(They are very unevenly shaped pieces.)

Right now, I squat and grab. This is getting
old fast.

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
...With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

I've cruised and Googled over the last few days.

Closest I've gotten is the HF Long Reach Locking Pliers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609.html

They won't work because the jaws won't open nearly wide
enough and the adjustment is too fiddly for such
brittle material.

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 07:12 AM

Name That Tool

John R. Carroll wrote:
Winston wrote:
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(...)

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

Fireplace Tongs.

I should have been clearer. Sorry.

Most of the time, the chunks are entrapped by our famous
Bay Area Adobe Clay. Some only budge when I stand on
the end of my slate bar. (ca. 1300 lbs. of force)

By the time I've loosened them, they still require
substantial convincing before they agree to come along.
So I need a tool that has a wide ratio for a firm grip.

(Note the post hole digger's 5:1 mechanical advantage
for example.)

I cruised but didn't find a pair of tongs that could
do that.

Most were 1:1 at best and some were a lot worse.

Thanks for looking into this, John.

Gunner Asch[_6_] December 30th 10 07:35 AM

Name That Tool

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 23:12:21 -0800, Winston
wrote:

John R. Carroll wrote:
Winston wrote:
[...]

Check out the videos...

http://www.fencepostpuller.net/index.html

As a side note..the few times Ive had to pull "plugs"..Ive simply used a
wire cable lanyard, looped around the plug and a boat winch on a stand
to simply suck them out of the ground.

Gunner

difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

--Gene Spafford, 1992

PrecisionmachinisT December 30th 10 08:25 AM

Name That Tool

"Winston" wrote in message
[...]

Pole and post setting crews oftentimes will have an oshkosh spoon shovel on
their truck.

Rich Grise[_3_] December 30th 10 09:17 AM

Name That Tool

Winston wrote:

During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(They are very unevenly shaped pieces.)

Right now, I squat and grab. This is getting
old fast.

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

I've cruised and Googled over the last few days.

Closest I've gotten is the HF Long Reach Locking Pliers:

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609.html

They won't work because the jaws won't open nearly wide
enough and the adjustment is too fiddly for such
brittle material.

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Super-duper pooper scooper?
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....p-flypage-4346

Good Luck!
Rich

Wild_Bill December 30th 10 10:40 AM

Name That Tool

I think it's called an assistant fencing trainee.

I'm thinking that you would likely need to fabricate something like long
tongs with sharp opposed points (like block ice tongs), or a spoon on one
side and point on the other, but with a slip-joint that adjusts quickly
(like ChanLlock pliers) to accomodate the different shapes/sizes with a
secure biting grip.

Brazed carbide tips in a very large dental-type tool. The tongs sections
could possibly be square tubing, with some heavier gage metal near the jaws
and joint.

I can't remember seeing anything specifically made for retrieving something
like irregularly-sized rocks down in a hole, but I vaguely recall something
that had a lever at one end to close jaws at the other end.

There is a tool shaped like a hoe, but it has a smaller, spoon-shaped end,
and the idea is to get the spoon end past the object to be extracted from a
hole, then lift it out. This tool probably works well in fairly large
diameter holes though.

--
WB

Jim Wilkins December 30th 10 12:42 PM

Name That Tool

On Dec 30, 5:40*am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
I think it's called an assistant fencing trainee.

I'm thinking that you would likely need to fabricate something like long
tongs with sharp opposed points (like block ice tongs), ...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_48125_48125

I turn the chain grab hook sideways and hook the lever hoist into the
D ring, to protect the hoist chain.
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/F...88505171720306
That shows the tripod and hoist, not the tongs which I bought later.
The points aren't sharp so concrete shouldn't damage them much. I have
to pound them into a log with an axe.

jsw

Winston December 30th 10 02:06 PM

Name That Tool

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
wrote in message
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(...)

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

Pole and post setting crews oftentimes will have an oshkosh spoon shovel on
their truck.

That'd work well in loamy soil, I think.
I'm in sticky adobe clay which hangs onto
the chunks, so I need something that actually
hangs on to the chunks so I can waggle them
free. 5:1 or 10:1 mechanical advantage would
really help a lot.

Thanks!

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 02:10 PM

Name That Tool

Rich Grise wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Super-duper pooper scooper?
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....p-flypage-4346

I need something with a higher mechanical
advantage and small jaws that permit waggling
the chunks free of adobe clay soil.

Sorta like a post-hole digger with 2" wide
blades and an adjustable jaw.

Thanks!

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 02:30 PM

Name That Tool

Wild_Bill wrote:
I think it's called an assistant fencing trainee.

Heh!

I'm thinking that you would likely need to fabricate something like long
tongs with sharp opposed points (like block ice tongs), or a spoon on
one side and point on the other, but with a slip-joint that adjusts
quickly (like ChanLlock pliers) to accomodate the different shapes/sizes
with a secure biting grip.

So I could weld inline blades to the jaws of a large
pair of channel - lock pliers for instance.
Maybe slice some 2" sch. 40 black pipe diagonally
to form the blades.

Brazed carbide tips in a very large dental-type tool. The tongs sections
could possibly be square tubing, with some heavier gage metal near the
jaws and joint.

Yeah, say 1" square tube for starters.
I could clamp the handles to the grips and
weld them in place.

I can't remember seeing anything specifically made for retrieving
something like irregularly-sized rocks down in a hole, but I vaguely
recall something that had a lever at one end to close jaws at the other
end.

That'd work if the top lever had a significant
mechanical advantage over the jaws.
Maybe an Acme thread down the middle with a
speed wrench on the end of the handle?

There is a tool shaped like a hoe, but it has a smaller, spoon-shaped
end, and the idea is to get the spoon end past the object to be
extracted from a hole, then lift it out. This tool probably works well
in fairly large diameter holes though.

I really want to grasp the rubble from the top and waggle
it free of the sticky adobe.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 30th 10 02:34 PM

Name That Tool

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800, Winston
wrote:

During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(They are very unevenly shaped pieces.)

Right now, I squat and grab. This is getting
old fast.

I grok that in its entirety.

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

I've cruised and Googled over the last few days.

Closest I've gotten is the HF Long Reach Locking Pliers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609.html

They won't work because the jaws won't open nearly wide
enough and the adjustment is too fiddly for such
brittle material.

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

That would be the rare and wondrous Concrete Magnet, of course.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.

Winston December 30th 10 02:57 PM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

The blades are too large. Most often the blades
hang up on the interior of the hole, blocking
access to the chunk. Even if I can surround the
chunk with the blades, the chunk falls out the
bottom at earliest opportunity. I'm looking for
a better 'size match' to the load.

(...)

That would be the rare and wondrous Concrete Magnet, of course.

Difficult to adjust damping factor.

Sometimes small boulders shoot out of the hole
damaging cottages in the neighborhood.

They also eat "D" cells like you wouldn't believe.

--Winston :)

Ned Simmons December 30th 10 03:20 PM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:10:06 -0800, Winston
wrote:

I need something with a higher mechanical
advantage and small jaws that permit waggling
the chunks free of adobe clay soil.

Sorta like a post-hole digger with 2" wide
blades and an adjustable jaw.

My first thought was an appropriate pair of blacksmith tongs, but they
wouldn't cover the gripping range you're looking for. A bit of cutting
and welding on a pair of these might give you what you're looking
for...
http://www.channellock.com/480-BigAZ...Jaw-Plier.aspx

--
Ned Simmons

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 30th 10 04:05 PM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:06:01 -0800, Winston
wrote:

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
wrote in message
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(...)

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Thanks!

Pole and post setting crews oftentimes will have an oshkosh spoon shovel on
their truck.

That'd work well in loamy soil, I think.
I'm in sticky adobe clay which hangs onto
the chunks, so I need something that actually
hangs on to the chunks so I can waggle them
free. 5:1 or 10:1 mechanical advantage would
really help a lot.

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

Or buy an open/heavy-duty style grabber
http://tinyurl.com/2f5fv47

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 30th 10 04:45 PM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:57:08 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

The blades are too large. Most often the blades
hang up on the interior of the hole, blocking
access to the chunk. Even if I can surround the
chunk with the blades, the chunk falls out the
bottom at earliest opportunity. I'm looking for
a better 'size match' to the load.

$5 garage sale PHDs, Cut and grind safe to size, knock down the
handles for lighter weight, Roberta's yer auntie.

Fold one lip up half an inch @ 60 degrees? and cut a bit off the other
side. That'll give you a leverage point for the adobegoo wrestling.

Or just roll your own with 5/8" square tubing and some 1/8" CRS. I may
do that myself, during the winter downtime.

That would be the rare and wondrous Concrete Magnet, of course.

Difficult to adjust damping factor.

Sometimes small boulders shoot out of the hole
damaging cottages in the neighborhood.

What? You don't have a Null Shield on it yet? Silly person.

They also eat "D" cells like you wouldn't believe.

That they do. I'd get a Zephyr replacement battery if I were you.

(Vague "Knight and Day" reference. Wunnerful movie; must see!)

NOTE: From now on, I'm going to ask PHD braggarts if they dig many
holes with 'em. When they give me the weird look, I'll innocently say
"Oh, when you mentioned PHD, you weren't referring to a Post Hole
Digger?"

LJ--not a Piled Higher and Deeper owner.

Jim Wilkins December 30th 10 05:34 PM

Name That Tool

On Dec 30, 9:57*am, Winston wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:26:25 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':
http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

Why not continue to use a regular post hole digger?

The blades are too large. Most often the blades
hang up on the interior of the hole, blocking
access to the chunk. Even if I can surround the
chunk with the blades, the chunk falls out the
bottom at earliest opportunity. *I'm looking for
a better 'size match' to the load.

--Winston *:)

Cut one down and bend the ends in??

jsw

Rich Grise[_3_] December 30th 10 05:59 PM

Name That Tool

Winston wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)
What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Super-duper pooper scooper?

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....p-flypage-4346

I need something with a higher mechanical
advantage and small jaws that permit waggling
the chunks free of adobe clay soil.

Sorta like a post-hole digger with 2" wide
blades and an adjustable jaw.

Would flooding the hole soften the clay?

Good Luck!
Rich

Denis G.[_2_] December 30th 10 06:34 PM

Name That Tool

On Dec 30, 12:26*am, Winston wrote:
[...]

If you had a skidsteer or a backhoe and wanted a specialized tool,
you'd want a grapple. I've never seen a manual one, though. They're
all hydraulically powered.

Winston December 30th 10 07:48 PM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Or buy an open/heavy-duty style grabber
http://tinyurl.com/2f5fv47

Bookmarked!

But those'r all 1:1 advantage.
.... and I don't think they'd last long under the
contemplated static + dynamic load.

Think D9 dozer, not Tonka Toy!

Thanks!

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 07:51 PM

Name That Tool

Ned Simmons wrote:

(...)

My first thought was an appropriate pair of blacksmith tongs, but they
wouldn't cover the gripping range you're looking for. A bit of cutting
and welding on a pair of these might give you what you're looking
for...
http://www.channellock.com/480-BigAZ...Jaw-Plier.aspx

Two Great Minds, Ned. :)

I was contemplating the exact thing, with
Sch. 40 pipe sliced diagonally to be used
as blades.

Thanks!

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 07:54 PM

Name That Tool

Rich Grise wrote:

(...)

Would flooding the hole soften the clay?

Oh Yeah it does!

That is part of the problem.
I have to delay digging for the third day.
The soil is so saturated that digging 'down' causes
the walls to collapse. The holes aren't getting
deeper, just larger in diameter.

These are gonna be Monster Footings! :)

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 08:16 PM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:57:08 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

$5 garage sale PHDs, Cut and grind safe to size, knock down the
handles for lighter weight, Roberta's yer auntie.

An Applied Geometry problem for sure.
I shall have to put on my "Ponder Hat".

Fold one lip up half an inch @ 60 degrees? and cut a bit off the other
side. That'll give you a leverage point for the adobegoo wrestling.

Or just roll your own with 5/8" square tubing and some 1/8" CRS. I may
do that myself, during the winter downtime.

Yup. Elsewhere in the thread, I contemplate repurposing a pair
of groove joint pliers to that end.

(...)

Sometimes small boulders shoot out of the hole
damaging cottages in the neighborhood.

What? You don't have a Null Shield on it yet? Silly person.

Oops.

They also eat "D" cells like you wouldn't believe.

That they do. I'd get a Zephyr replacement battery if I were you.

(Vague "Knight and Day" reference. Wunnerful movie; must see!)

Shall check it out.

NOTE: From now on, I'm going to ask PHD braggarts if they dig many
holes with 'em. When they give me the weird look, I'll innocently say
"Oh, when you mentioned PHD, you weren't referring to a Post Hole
Digger?"

I've met a few, too. Still looking for the exception
to the rule. Nuff said.

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 08:19 PM

Name That Tool

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

Cut one down and bend the ends in??

Or I could slice the ends of a couple black
pipes diagonally to make a 'beak' and hinge them
a few inches back from the points.

Not fancy but quick and dirty.

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 08:24 PM

Name That Tool

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

If you had a skidsteer or a backhoe and wanted a specialized tool,
you'd want a grapple. I've never seen a manual one, though. They're
all hydraulically powered.

Armed with your suggestion, I stumbled across patent 3352589

http://www.google.com/patents?id=3TlTAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=3352589&source=g bs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q=3352589&f=fals e

That is *close* to what I need.

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 30th 10 09:06 PM

Name That Tool

[...]

Do these pictures make you wince?

Pretty girls, open-toed sandals, post hole diggers. EEK!

http://ddl.me.cmu.edu/ddwiki/index.p...igger_redesign
Maybe an Erie Digger is what you're after.
http://tinyurl.com/34uxbcj

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 30th 10 09:10 PM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

Or buy an open/heavy-duty style grabber
http://tinyurl.com/2f5fv47

Bookmarked!

But those'r all 1:1 advantage.
... and I don't think they'd last long under the
contemplated static + dynamic load.

Think D9 dozer, not Tonka Toy!

I've never seen a post hole anywhere near large enough for a D9.

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 30th 10 09:11 PM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:54:34 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

(...)

Would flooding the hole soften the clay?

Oh Yeah it does!

That is part of the problem.
I have to delay digging for the third day.
The soil is so saturated that digging 'down' causes
the walls to collapse. The holes aren't getting
deeper, just larger in diameter.

These are gonna be Monster Footings! :)

Teensy HINT: Monsoon Season is not the time to be doing this.

Denis G.[_2_] December 30th 10 09:20 PM

Name That Tool

On Dec 30, 2:24*pm, Winston wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

If you had a skidsteer or a backhoe and wanted a specialized tool,
you'd want a grapple. *I've never seen a manual one, though. *They're
all hydraulically powered.

Armed with your suggestion, I stumbled across patent 3352589

http://www.google.com/patents?id=3TlTAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=3352589&sourc...

That is *close* to what I need.

--Winston

Hmmm.... I looked thru some patents too and came up with this:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=6824181
I'm not sure how well it helps you, but maybe it'll give you some
ideas to make something. You'll probably need to erect a tripod or
gantry crane over the hole to pull out the stone.

Winston December 30th 10 09:53 PM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

Diversify: The existing grade is no longer the limit.

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 09:54 PM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:54:34 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

These are gonna be Monster Footings! :)

Teensy HINT: Monsoon Season is not the time to be doing this.

*Now* you tell me.

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 09:59 PM

Name That Tool

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

Hmmm.... I looked thru some patents too and came up with this:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=6824181
I'm not sure how well it helps you, but maybe it'll give you some
ideas to make something. You'll probably need to erect a tripod or
gantry crane over the hole to pull out the stone.

For some footings, a similar tool would be ideal.
A grapple that engages the *inside* of the cavity
left in the footing by the rotten fence post.

I've pulled old footings out of the ground using
the old cavity. It's just that I used a web strap
instead of a grapple.

Right now though, I'm looking for a hand tool to
clean out the little pieces rather than the big
pieces.

Thanks!

--Winston

Winston December 30th 10 10:06 PM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

http://ddl.me.cmu.edu/ddwiki/index.p...igger_redesign
Maybe an Erie Digger is what you're after.
http://tinyurl.com/34uxbcj

That Erie Digger is quite cool!
I haven't seen anything like that before.

Thanks!

--Winston

Rich Grise[_3_] December 31st 10 01:09 AM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800, Winston
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

If the footprint of the rocks is within the diameter of the hole, how about
a trepan?

Cheers!
Rich

Rich Grise[_3_] December 31st 10 01:22 AM

Name That Tool

Larry Jaques wrote:

Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.

Actually, the ultimate battle is between Free Will, which is congruent with
God's Will, therefore Good, and Statism, which, of course, is in opposition
to God's Will, and therefore Evil.

For more information, see http://www.godchannel.com

Cheers!
Rich

Winston December 31st 10 02:09 AM

Name That Tool

Rich Grise wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800,
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

If the footprint of the rocks is within the diameter of the hole, how about
a trepan?

I don't follow, Rich.

http://www.tristareng.com/062900/062...s/image13.html

Can you elaborate?

--Winston

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 31st 10 02:31 AM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:53:44 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

Diversify: The existing grade is no longer the limit.

Grade? You bring the D9, I'll learn how to play with it. Gladly!

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 31st 10 02:32 AM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:54:41 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:54:34 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

These are gonna be Monster Footings! :)

Teensy HINT: Monsoon Season is not the time to be doing this.

*Now* you tell me.

whap, whap, whap Better?

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 31st 10 02:35 AM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:06:30 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

http://ddl.me.cmu.edu/ddwiki/index.p...igger_redesign
Maybe an Erie Digger is what you're after.
http://tinyurl.com/34uxbcj

That Erie Digger is quite cool!
I haven't seen anything like that before.

I hadn't, either. After reviewing it, I'm not sure they sell a whole
lot of 'em. The movable shovel doesn't change angle, so it prolly
doesn't pick up a lot of dirt in one scoop. The lever probably gets in
the way, too. Interesting, nonetheless.

Larry Jaques[_3_] December 31st 10 02:46 AM

Name That Tool

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:09:21 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800, Winston
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

If the footprint of the rocks is within the diameter of the hole, how about
a trepan?

The rocks in the hole ARE the annulus. Trepanning is out, unless
you're volunteering as a trepannee. Afraid of drillpresses, Rich?

A vaporizing laser would be my first thought, but I dunno 'bout that
Winnie fella.

Winston December 31st 10 03:10 AM

Name That Tool

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800,
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

If the footprint of the rocks is within the diameter of the hole, how about
a trepan?

The rocks in the hole ARE the annulus. Trepanning is out, unless
you're volunteering as a trepannee. Afraid of drillpresses, Rich?

A vaporizing laser would be my first thought, but I dunno 'bout that
Winnie fella.

What is this, 'Non sequitur day'?

--Winston