Old December 30th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Name That Tool

Rich Grise wrote:

(...)

Would flooding the hole soften the clay?

Oh Yeah it does!

That is part of the problem.
I have to delay digging for the third day.
The soil is so saturated that digging 'down' causes
the walls to collapse. The holes aren't getting
deeper, just larger in diameter.

These are gonna be Monster Footings!

--Winston

Old December 30th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 06:57:08 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

$5 garage sale PHDs, Cut and grind safe to size, knock down the
handles for lighter weight, Roberta's yer auntie.

An Applied Geometry problem for sure.
I shall have to put on my "Ponder Hat".

Fold one lip up half an inch @ 60 degrees? and cut a bit off the other
side. That'll give you a leverage point for the adobegoo wrestling.

Or just roll your own with 5/8" square tubing and some 1/8" CRS. I may
do that myself, during the winter downtime.

Yup. Elsewhere in the thread, I contemplate repurposing a pair
of groove joint pliers to that end.

(...)

Sometimes small boulders shoot out of the hole
damaging cottages in the neighborhood.

What? You don't have a Null Shield on it yet? Silly person.

Oops.

They also eat "D" cells like you wouldn't believe.

That they do. I'd get a Zephyr replacement battery if I were you.

(Vague "Knight and Day" reference. Wunnerful movie; must see!)

Shall check it out.

NOTE: From now on, I'm going to ask PHD braggarts if they dig many
holes with 'em. When they give me the weird look, I'll innocently say
"Oh, when you mentioned PHD, you weren't referring to a Post Hole
Digger?"

I've met a few, too. Still looking for the exception
to the rule. Nuff said.

--Winston
Old December 30th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

(...)

Cut one down and bend the ends in??

Or I could slice the ends of a couple black
pipes diagonally to make a 'beak' and hinge them
a few inches back from the points.

Not fancy but quick and dirty.

--Winston
Old December 30th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:

(...)

If you had a skidsteer or a backhoe and wanted a specialized tool,
you'd want a grapple. I've never seen a manual one, though. They're
all hydraulically powered.

Armed with your suggestion, I stumbled across patent 3352589

http://www.google.com/patents?id=3TlTAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=3352589&source=g bs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q=3352589&f=fals e

That is *close* to what I need.

--Winston
Old December 30th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 12:26*am, Winston wrote:
During fence repairs, I sometimes need to
retrieve 3-5 lb. 1"- 4" diameter chunks of
concrete out of a ~15" - 24" deep hole in the ground.

(They are very unevenly shaped pieces.)

Right now, I squat and grab. *This is getting
old fast.

What I want is something resembling a miniature
'post hole digger':http://www.wiserental.com/images/QPI...igger92380.gif
..With strong, 2" wide blades that would allow me
to grab these pieces from a moderate stoop.

I've cruised and Googled over the last few days.

Closest I've gotten is the HF Long Reach Locking Pliers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-inch-long-reach-locking-pliers-97609....

They won't work because the jaws won't open nearly wide
enough and the adjustment is too fiddly for such
brittle material.

What is the name of the tool that will do this please?

Do these pictures make you wince?

Pretty girls, open-toed sandals, post hole diggers. EEK!

http://ddl.me.cmu.edu/ddwiki/index.p...igger_redesign
Maybe an Erie Digger is what you're after.
http://tinyurl.com/34uxbcj

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.

Old December 30th 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

Or buy an open/heavy-duty style grabber
http://tinyurl.com/2f5fv47

Bookmarked!

But those'r all 1:1 advantage.
... and I don't think they'd last long under the
contemplated static + dynamic load.

Think D9 dozer, not Tonka Toy!

I've never seen a post hole anywhere near large enough for a D9.

Old December 30th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:54:34 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

(...)

Would flooding the hole soften the clay?

Oh Yeah it does!

That is part of the problem.
I have to delay digging for the third day.
The soil is so saturated that digging 'down' causes
the walls to collapse. The holes aren't getting
deeper, just larger in diameter.

These are gonna be Monster Footings!

Teensy HINT: Monsoon Season is not the time to be doing this.

Old December 30th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 30, 2:24*pm, Winston wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

(...)

If you had a skidsteer or a backhoe and wanted a specialized tool,
you'd want a grapple. *I've never seen a manual one, though. *They're
all hydraulically powered.

Armed with your suggestion, I stumbled across patent 3352589

http://www.google.com/patents?id=3TlTAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&dq=3352589&sourc...

That is *close* to what I need.

--Winston

Hmmm.... I looked thru some patents too and came up with this:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?...BAJ&dq=6824181
I'm not sure how well it helps you, but maybe it'll give you some
ideas to make something. You'll probably need to erect a tripod or
gantry crane over the hole to pull out the stone.
Old December 30th 10, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:48:08 -0800,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Roll your own spoon shovel or thumb/spoon, Winnie.

That is looking most likely.

Let's put our heads together and come up with a design. Maybe they
could be sold, too. We'll be RICH!

Diversify: The existing grade is no longer the limit.

--Winston
Old December 30th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:54:34 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

These are gonna be Monster Footings!

Teensy HINT: Monsoon Season is not the time to be doing this.

*Now* you tell me.

--Winston