Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rail Anvils

I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-29, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I am very happy with my homemade anvil

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Weld...de-Mini-Anvil/

I have a 200 lb Peter Wright too, but this is a small and portable
one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2010 04:15 PM, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Dumb question: Where do you go to scrounge rails?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2010 04:40 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 12/28/2010 04:15 PM, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Dumb question: Where do you go to scrounge rails?

About half way through that I said "d'oh", and emailed my brother to see
if he can scrounge some. But not everyone has a brother who helps to
restore antique steam locomotives. So I'm still interested.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:40:35 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On 12/28/2010 04:15 PM, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Dumb question: Where do you go to scrounge rails?

I keep seeing them at garage sales in one to six foot lengths for five
to twenty bucks. I got 2' thrown in with a weedeater purchase for
free.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-29, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 12/28/2010 04:40 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On 12/28/2010 04:15 PM, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Dumb question: Where do you go to scrounge rails?

About half way through that I said "d'oh", and emailed my brother to see
if he can scrounge some. But not everyone has a brother who helps to
restore antique steam locomotives. So I'm still interested.

In my case, it was a father in law.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
news
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them at
present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past, several
guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we do it
anyway.

Pete Stanaitis

My own personal experience with it is that unless you are going to beat on
it eight hours a day hard, that a piece of rail will serve most purposes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
On 12/28/2010 04:15 PM, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Dumb question: Where do you go to scrounge rails?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

My last piece, about six feet, was picked from a sand pit boneyard. They
had welded chains to it, and were using it for a drag.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I use a couple for blade smithing and small stuff. Works fine. Plus they
are much easier to move around.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 5:15*pm, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. *It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I've got a small one that's very handy for punching pins out and such,
I've got larger ones that work better for hot work and cold bending.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 5:15*pm, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. *It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I've got a small one that's useful for benchtop work, picked it up
somewhere for junk. Worked the horn over with an angle grinder and
polished the top up. I've bigger anvils for hot work and cold
bending, this one's good for punching pins out and whacking a bullet
puller against. Better than the small HF cast iron wonders.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-29, wrote:
On Dec 28, 5:15?pm, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. ?It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I've got a small one that's useful for benchtop work, picked it up
somewhere for junk. Worked the horn over with an angle grinder and
polished the top up. I've bigger anvils for hot work and cold
bending, this one's good for punching pins out and whacking a bullet
puller against. Better than the small HF cast iron wonders.

Stan

I put a flattop plate on mine, and it is really great for
straightening things.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My "small one" is a piece of tee shaped cast iron that broke off of some
machine. About a 1/2" thick, 4" x 12" or so. To use as a anvil the
stem of the tee gets clamped in a hefty bench vise.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 29, 12:30*pm, Ignoramus18879 ignoramus18...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-12-29, wrote:

On Dec 28, 5:15?pm, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. ?It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I've got a small one that's useful for benchtop work, picked it up
somewhere for junk. *Worked the horn over with an angle grinder and
polished the top up. *I've bigger anvils for hot work and cold
bending, this one's good for punching pins out and whacking a bullet
puller against. *Better than the small HF cast iron wonders.

Stan

I put a flattop plate on mine, and it is really great for
straightening things.

There is heavier rail available than the one listed in the OP website.

172 and 175 lb/yard crane runway may be available in certain scrap
yards.

I have a 12" piece of 172 lb/yd rail given to me by railfitters on a
job I project managed.

Great for flattening stuff.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
My "small one" is a piece of tee shaped cast iron that broke off of some
machine. About a 1/2" thick, 4" x 12" or so. To use as a anvil the
stem of the tee gets clamped in a hefty bench vise.

Bob

I have a cylinder valve cover off of an Atlas Copco compressor that I
use for real light stuff. It's 6" square 3/4" hardened tool steel with a
3/4" hole in each corner. The place I worked for had tons of them that
came in as scrap. They were sent in with parts that the company wanted
stripped and polished.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

?On 12/28/2010 04:15 PM, spaco wrote:
?? I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
?? at present and what I am doing with them:
??
?
?Dumb question: Where do you go to scrounge rails?

I keep seeing them at garage sales in one to six foot lengths for five
to twenty bucks. I got 2' thrown in with a weedeater purchase for
free.

Did it hurt much when it hit you? ;-)

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"spaco" wrote in message
news
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past, several
guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we do it
anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Nice. Thanks for posting that. My dad has a couple chucks of railroad iron
he uses for beating on, but nothing shaped so nicely. Just out of
curiosity, have you or anybody you have read about tried hard facing some
surfaces and regrinding flat?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 31, 5:15*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:

Nice. *Thanks for posting that. *My dad has a couple chucks of railroad iron
he uses for beating on, but nothing shaped so nicely. *Just out of
curiosity, have you or anybody you have read about tried hard facing some
surfaces and regrinding flat?

Go to Sci.eng.joining.welding and look for Ernies website. He has
tons of information , including how to make an anvil.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 6:15*pm, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. *It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I like rail anvils...I find them very interesting how others can take
a scrap of metal and turn it into a very useful tool.

I find that I need to restrain myself from collecting them. ;)

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 6:15*pm, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. *It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Nice page Pete..thanks for posting it.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"spaco" wrote in message
news
I just put up a page one rail anvils. It contains all I know about
them at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but
we do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

Nice. Thanks for posting that. My dad has a couple chucks of railroad
iron he uses for beating on, but nothing shaped so nicely. Just out of
curiosity, have you or anybody you have read about tried hard facing
some surfaces and regrinding flat?

Yep, Redid the face of an anvil. Used a stick machine, ground the face
down some, welded the entire surface, heated the entire anvil and
cleaned the weld slag off. Then welded a second layer on. After the
second layer I faced it and checked it all over for pits/dirt. Then had
the surface ground flat and radiused one side at 3/8" while the other
was at 90 degrees with just the edge broke.

Works OK but it's a LOT of work.
One thing I thought about doing would be to take a chunk of good tool
steel, grand a double chamfer on the back and then weld that to the
surface one pass at a time. Then grind that surface true and see what it
does.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-01-01, Steve W. wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
"spaco" wrote in message
news
[...]

I simply welded a thick flat piece of 4140 on top of the rail.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 17:27:58 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Dec 28, 6:15*pm, spaco wrote:
I just put up a page one rail anvils. *It contains all I know about them
at present and what I am doing with them:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/A...RailAnvils.htm

When folks (including me) have posted on this subject in the past,
several guys flame us for even thinking about using a rail anvil, but we
do it anyway.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------

I like rail anvils...I find them very interesting how others can take
a scrap of metal and turn it into a very useful tool.

I find that I need to restrain myself from collecting them. ;)

TMT

When Grandfather moved in with us, he brought his two foot length of
rail with him. A family friend admired this useful item so Grandfather
cut it in half with a hand hack saw and gave him a piece. I still use
the remaining piece 65 years latter. I have a five foot length out in
the shed but haven't summoned the energy to cut it shorter. Beside it
is a four foot length of steel pipe 6"ID x 7"OD.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:15 pm, spaco wrote:
[...]

London, Canada- Hide quoted text -

I would be in no hurry...it is easier to cut it shorter than to cut it
longer.

Much thought needs to go into projects when a special piece of metal
is involved.

I would suggest making something to pass on to the next generation.

TMT