Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Better than STERNO

I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen
years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one
tenth the cost. My local Sam's Club sells a hand sanitizer under their
Maker's Mark label. A two liter jug of this with a hand pump sells for
as low as $5.50 when it is on sale. It has a built in hand pump and I
always have one in the shop. I started using this as a substitute for
STERNO when I was packing for a fishing trip and discovered I was out
of STERNO. I remembered reading the label on the hand sanitizer and it
said it was 70% Ethyl Alcohol so I tested it and it definitely burned
hot. I have since started filling empty STERNO cans with this and it
works great. I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO (A friend has an
InfraRed thermometer and we did comparison tests with STERNO vs the
hand sanitizer and the sanitizer burned a lot hotter) and it has a
pleasant smell. My only PROBLEM with it is that the flame is almost
invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be
mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more
visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am
not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally
get burned.
Just to keep this on topic I will mention that I have used this in
small soldering projects when their was no electricity available for
my soldering iron.

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:
[...]

Here's a start:

http://www.sciencecompany.com/sci-exper/flamecolors.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:41:56 -0800 (PST), TwoGuns
wrote:

invisible. Do any of you have an idea of something that could be
mixed in with the hand sanitizer that would make the flame more
visible? When I am the only one in the area when I am using this I am
not worried however I would hate to see some other person accidentally
get burned.

Maybe add a bit of motor oil?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:45:36 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

TwoGuns wrote:
[...]

Dissclaimer on thier Sodium Chloride-

"Sorry, we regret we are unable
to ship chemicals outside of
mainland USA and Canada.
Hazardous chemicals and chemicals
restricted to ground-only shipping,
may not be exported out of the USA."

I didn'y bother checking but I suspect they have the same note on the
Di-hydrogen Monoxide.

H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO

Hotter than Sterno -- is that like bigger than a neutrino? g If your
cooking involves more than heating cans of Dinty Moore get yourself
one of these:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35241..._Base&subrnd=0

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:
I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen
years back I discovered a better product than STERNO for about one
tenth the cost.

(...)

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...px?SKU=1204254

(3.79 for two liters)

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston fired this volley in news:ifb0ee0r65
@news7.newsguy.com:

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardware

Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get
a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the
proper gas pressure.

The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five
minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardware

Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get
a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the
proper gas pressure.

The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five
minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.

One of these works for day-long power outages here, along with LED
booklights. http://tinyurl.com/2v3hdqr

And I got an alcohol stove (SVEA Swedish mess kit) off eBay a couple
years ago. http://www.digihitch.com/review69.html

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

One of these works for day-long power outages here, along with LED
booklights. http://tinyurl.com/2v3hdqr

FWIW, those are _impossible_ to adjust for a low simmer (having only two
or three discrete "stops" in the adjustment; and no, you can't 'trim'
them).

They also are so affected by even a light breeze, that they're just about
unusable anywhere but indoors or inside closed-up tent.

I have a couple for indoor power emergencies, but don't really like them.

OTOH, I have a little Chinese two-burner butane stove I got from a
Haitian importer friend, and it's about the dandiest little miniature
stove you could want. It tunes to anything from a roar to a bare simmer,
and the canned butane is sold by many ACE hardware stores.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in news:ifb0ee0r65
@news7.newsguy.com:

I made a little stove out of two tuna cans soldered
together (top to bottom) with a 1.5" hole in the top.
Hardware store alcohol works great and it is cheap.
http://www.acehardware

Winston, if you haven't already, look up the "Penny Stove". You can get
a lot more energy and fuel efficiency out of alcohol when it's run at the
proper gas pressure.

The little Penny Stove will boil a pint cup of water in about five
minutes on a couple of teaspoonsful of alcohol.

Thanks, Lloyd!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"OTOH, I have a little Chinese two-burner butane stove I got from a
Haitian importer friend, and it's about the dandiest little miniature
stove you could want. It tunes to anything from a roar to a bare
simmer,
and the canned butane is sold by many ACE hardware stores.

LLoyd "
The only problem with Butane or Propane is in extremely cold weather
they will freeze up. I'm not sure at what temperature but I believe it
is around 25 below F. I know it got cold enough to freeze my propane
torch with a full 20# bottle in Alberta one night. It was around 50
below that night and the only thing that kept my truck running was a
tray of Kingsford Charcoal brickettes under the oil pan. Thankfully my
Cat engine was spotlessly clean or I would have caught the truck on
fire.Of course very few people are going to be cooking outdoors or
camping at anything below zero unless they are wearing a uniform.

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You might try putting a copper wire around the flame area (so it's actually
in the flame), to see if it makes the nearly-invisible flame green.. which
may not be visible in sunlight.

That's why alcohol burners are relatively unsafe compared to other fuels.

--
WB

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

TwoGuns wrote:
I have used STERNO when camping or hunting for years. About a dozen

I noticed that a can of sterno-ish stuff I have here called "power heat"
is marked "unlawful in Pennsylvania".

It looks like the standard food service tray heater to me, but with a
steel can, instead of aluminum.

What's the deal with PA and these things?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:ifb8cd
:

What's the deal with PA and these thing

Some states don't consider the ethanol in them sufficiently "denatured" to
escape drinking (and taxing as liquor).

For that matter, some brands are NOT denatured in any way... just gelled.
"Sterno drinking" is well known.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Not quite what you asked about:

http://hikethru.com/hiking-informati.../alcohol-stove

I don't think that's going to work with my pressurized alcohol stove.

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Cydrome Leader fired this volley in news:ifb8cd

What's the deal with PA and these thing

Some states don't consider the ethanol in them sufficiently "denatured" to
escape drinking (and taxing as liquor).

For that matter, some brands are NOT denatured in any way... just gelled.
"Sterno drinking" is well known.

Just make your own:
http://www.myscienceproject.org/j-shot.html

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:48:57 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

One of these works for day-long power outages here, along with LED
booklights. http://tinyurl.com/2v3hdqr

FWIW, those are _impossible_ to adjust for a low simmer (having only two
or three discrete "stops" in the adjustment; and no, you can't 'trim'
them).

I boil water or bring a meal to temp. What's to simmer?

They also are so affected by even a light breeze, that they're just about
unusable anywhere but indoors or inside closed-up tent.

Quite true.

I have a couple for indoor power emergencies, but don't really like them.

When I got to brew and drink coffee during a long (day) power outage,
I praised mine highly, TYVM.

OTOH, I have a little Chinese two-burner butane stove I got from a
Haitian importer friend, and it's about the dandiest little miniature
stove you could want. It tunes to anything from a roar to a bare simmer,
and the canned butane is sold by many ACE hardware stores.

Cool.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
-- Epictetus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 00:57:18 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

C4, aka semtex,is a nice solid fuel with smokeless and nearly
colorless flame for heating rations or making tea.

Right. Just don't try to put it out with a hammer.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
-- Epictetus
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I know it is a hotter fire than STERNO

Hotter than Sterno -- is that like bigger than a neutrino? g If your
cooking involves more than heating cans of Dinty Moore get yourself
one of these:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/35241..._Base&subrnd=0

I bought one of those years ago since my Tranglia alky burner really didn't get it.

I REALLY should have read the instructions as I set my kitchen counter on fire when
testing it. No real damage since I had a fire extinguisher at the ready but it was a real
chit your trousers moment.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

).

I boil water or bring a meal to temp. What's to simmer?

My stainless steel camping percolator. It likes a barely turnin'-over
percolation rate to get good coffee AND not boil over with a full pot.
That two-step knob just won't give a good rate.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:38:44 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

).

I boil water or bring a meal to temp. What's to simmer?

My stainless steel camping percolator. It likes a barely turnin'-over
percolation rate to get good coffee AND not boil over with a full pot.

You BOIL COFFEE, you heathen bastid? No wonder your karma is bad.
A sane man does NOT perc coffee, he drips it.

That two-step knob just won't give a good rate.

I have continuously variable flame capability in mine, just like a
propane torch. I just can't figure a reason to simmer anything during
a power outage.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
-- Epictetus
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You BOIL COFFEE, you heathen bastid? No wonder your karma is bad.
A sane man does NOT perc coffee, he drips it.

Heh! The _best_ coffee is made cowboy style, but I can't get the wife to
drink it. She doesn't like chewing on the grounds. (which is the best
part).

If I could enjoy cowboy coffee, I wouldn't care about what rate the burner
worked.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 19:12:43 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

You BOIL COFFEE, you heathen bastid? No wonder your karma is bad.
A sane man does NOT perc coffee, he drips it.

Heh! The _best_ coffee is made cowboy style, but I can't get the wife to
drink it. She doesn't like chewing on the grounds. (which is the best
part).

If I could enjoy cowboy coffee, I wouldn't care about what rate the burner
worked.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Steve Ackman just had a heart attack hearing
that, I'm sure.

--
Make the best use of what is in your power,
and take the rest as it happens.
-- Epictetus
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Few drops of saturated salt solution will make the flame Yellow.

--
Boris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I was a kid, I found that a squirt of Ronsonol lighter
fluid gives alcohol a yellow flame.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TwoGuns" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman fired this volley in
:

I was just following along, being amused, tempted to
point out that boiled coffee, above 5000' or so, is
just fine, and that you hadn't asked Lloyd his
elevation before gasping, (see my boiling temperature
calculator @
http://twoloonscoffee.com/map/boiling_point.php )

Well, my _current_ elevation is just above sea level, but my coffee does
taste better in Loveland than here.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

? wrote:

?C4, aka semtex,is a nice solid fuel with smokeless and nearly
?colorless flame for heating rations or making tea.

Right. Just don't try to put it out with a hammer.

WIMP!!! ;-)

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

? wrote:

?C4, aka semtex,is a nice solid fuel with smokeless and nearly
?colorless flame for heating rations or making tea.

Right. Just don't try to put it out with a hammer.

WIMP!!! ;-)

What does C4/semtex look like?

I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a
kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and no longer
have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could something like
semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the early 1950s?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30 Dec 2010 02:57:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

? wrote:

?C4, aka semtex,is a nice solid fuel with smokeless and nearly
?colorless flame for heating rations or making tea.

Right. Just don't try to put it out with a hammer.

WIMP!!! ;-)

What does C4/semtex look like?

Playdough

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a
kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and no longer
have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could something like
semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the early 1950s?

Enjoy,
DoN.

difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

--Gene Spafford, 1992
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a
kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and no longer
have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could something like
semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the early 1950s?

Enjoy,
DoN.

Esbit?

http://www.esbit.de/index.php?id=79

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a
kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and no longer
have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could something like
semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the early 1950s?

Probably hexamine. High nitrogen content, lots of heat, burns clean,
no ashes. Still used for fuel tablets, check ebay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry fired this volley in
:

Probably hexamine. High nitrogen content, lots of heat, burns clean,
no ashes. Still used for fuel tablets, check ebay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine

The tabs are kind of pricey from the usual camping/mountaineering
supplies, but you can buy bags of hexamine and press your own with a
homemade tabletting press (similar to a cheese press) for about $3.00 per
pound. Or, it can be melted (hotter than wax) and just poured into
moulds.

Hexamine is a flammable subtance, but not otherwise regulated as HazMat.
We use it as a low-energy fuel in compositions that must burn cleanly and
cool.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Aparently, you didn't get the joke. C4 is a high explosive,
used by the military. However, if it's treated gently, it
burns politely. Same deal with dynamte, I'm told that can be
burned, and it burns politely. No explosive outbursts.

I think it's unlilkely that was the fuel cubes for your
model engine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
?C4, aka semtex,is a nice solid fuel with smokeless and
nearly
?colorless flame for heating rations or making tea.

Right. Just don't try to put it out with a hammer.

WIMP!!! ;-)

What does C4/semtex look like?

I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a
kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and
no longer
have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could
something like
semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the
early 1950s?

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-30, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 30 Dec 2010 02:57:46 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

What does C4/semtex look like?

Playdough

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

O.K. Not the white fuel blocks which I was remembering.

I sort of figured that you would have an answer to my question.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-30, Winston wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a
kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and no longer
have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could something like
semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the early 1950s?

Enjoy,
DoN.

Esbit?

http://www.esbit.de/index.php?id=79

That could be it. Packaged differently since the early 1950s. :-)

Where I lived at the time I was not able to get more fuel for
the steam engine. I do seem to remember that it was made in Germany,
but that could be wrong.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I remember white cubes which were provided as the fuel for a
kid's model steam engine. I never knew what they were, and no longer
have the steam engine, so it does not matter -- but could something like
semetex have actually been provided with a toy back in the early 1950s?

Probably hexamine. High nitrogen content, lots of heat, burns clean,
no ashes. Still used for fuel tablets, check ebay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexamine

Thanks! Likely correct -- and likely to be the German
pre-packaged stuff from the article which I just answered (and whose
name I've forgotten already. :-)

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

(...)

Thanks! Likely correct -- and likely to be the German
pre-packaged stuff from the article which I just answered (and whose
name I've forgotten already. :-)

Esbit, DoN. Esbit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esbit

http://www.modelengines.com.au/retail_catalogue_27_page/W00100_item.html