Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default looking for mostly aluminum allow with some nickel and iron

I need some tubing and round rod made of like 90% aluminum and maybe
5% nickel and 5% iron.

Are there any alloys in that ball park?

It needs to be light weight and magnetically soft but not too soft. It
needs to retain a magnetic field but not be very hard to re-
magnetize. It needs to hold up to !000 degrees F and be somewhat
corrosion resistant. Its OK if it loses its magnetic hysteresis at
that temperature.

Its OK to have other elements but I'm looking for something light
weight. Its OK for the tubing to have less aluminum, mainly the rod
material needs to be light weight.

Hot hydrocarbon vapors will be flowing through the tubing and around
the rod but I'm trying to achieve plasma hydrocarbon cracking more
than catalytic cracking.

Anybody have suggestions of available materials, especially for a
light weight aluminum alloy that is slightly magnetic.

Thanks, gjbugh
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 25, 11:43*am, George Bugh wrote:

How strong do you want it at 1000 degrees F? I would not think any
aluminum alloy will be very strong at that temperature.

Some Titanium alloys are slightly magnetic. You might think about
Ti . It is light, strong at temperature, and expensive.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.matweb.com/search/CompositionSearch.aspx

--