Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal content- making pierced tin lanterns

This shows how a more or less simple thing can become a big deal.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/T...TinLantern.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:
This shows how a more or less simple thing can become a big deal.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/T...TinLantern.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

I wonder if one of the steps in the process originally was to soot up
the interior of the tin for the same reason as the black paint?

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

spaco wrote:
This shows how a more or less simple thing can become a big deal.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/T...TinLantern.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

I wonder if one of the steps in the process originally was to soot up
the interior of the tin for the same reason as the black paint?

If it was indeed just used as candle transport to keep the candle from
blowing out, the reflected heat probably was a benefit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
spaco wrote:
This shows how a more or less simple thing can become a big deal.

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/T...TinLantern.htm

Pete Stanaitis

I wonder if one of the steps in the process originally was to soot up
the interior of the tin for the same reason as the black paint?

I was wondering about a modification to contain the wax like a votive candle
in a little glass holder that goes above the sides of the candle. Heck a
socket to hold a votive candle holder might be just the ticket.

You notice those little candles are about 1/3 smaller than they used to be?