Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for solid conductor RJ12 cables? (Chinese DRO scale cable)

Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale electronics.
Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the cable next to the
electronics, and my display unit is displaying garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese DRO
cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to impossible
to solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors from
the small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This probably
would have been good enough, except there's no support for the connector
block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale electronics.
Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the cable next to the
electronics, and my display unit is displaying garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese DRO
cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to impossible
to solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors from
the small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This probably
would have been good enough, except there's no support for the connector
block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

You don't buy them, you make them, RJ11 connectors for solid wire are
readily available. I certainly wouldn't use solid wire for anything that
moves line connections to axis scales. I'm not sure why you have trouble
soldering stranded wire, perhaps you're using the very fine "tinsel"
stranded flat cord. I'd suggest using a good flexible 24ga wire such as
Cat5 patch cable wire to make your cables.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale electronics.
Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the cable next to the
electronics, and my display unit is displaying garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese DRO
cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to impossible to
solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors from the
small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This probably would
have been good enough, except there's no support for the connector
block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

An RJ-12 is the same physical size as an RJ-11 telephone base cord plug, but
has 6 pins instead of 4.

If that is what you are talking about...

On the rare occasions when I need them I buy 6 pin RJ-12 plugs made for
stranded wire and crimp them onto 6 conductor stranded satin wire base cord
with an appropriate crimper. This will be a hundred times more durable in
any machine with movement or vibration than a solid wire version. I
probably have a box on the shelf in the shop and a partial roll of wire with
a few hundred feet left.

If you really want solid wire, then just buy some solid wire. Telco (22 or
24 gage multi-conductor with twisted pairs) is available from 4 conductor
upto several hundred pairs. Note that you CAN NOT use the same RJ plug on
solid wire as you use on stranded wire. Solid wire plugs skin the
insulation off and pinch the wire when crimping. Stranded wire plugs pierce
the wire.

Flexing kills solid wire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Louis Ohland wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale electronics.
Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the cable next to the
electronics, and my display unit is displaying garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese DRO
cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to impossible
to solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors from
the small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This probably
would have been good enough, except there's no support for the connector
block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

You don't buy them, you make them, RJ11 connectors for solid wire are
readily available. I certainly wouldn't use solid wire for anything that
moves line connections to axis scales. I'm not sure why you have trouble
soldering stranded wire, perhaps you're using the very fine "tinsel"
stranded flat cord. I'd suggest using a good flexible 24ga wire such as
Cat5 patch cable wire to make your cables.

What he said. I can solder those satin cord conductors, but its very very
difficult, and its still going to break beyond your glob of solder if you
breath on it hard. I have a small tip low power iron for small stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking on 2010-12-20 Bob La Londe wrote:
"Louis Ohland" ... wrote
Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale electronics.
Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the cable next to the
electronics, and my display unit is displaying garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese DRO
cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to impossible to
solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors from the
small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This probably would
have been good enough, except there's no support for the connector
block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

An RJ-12 is the same physical size as an RJ-11 telephone base cord plug, but
has 6 pins instead of 4.

If that is what you are talking about...

[snip other comments re plugs etc]

Ohland wants to solder solid wires of a cable instead of stranded
wires to contacts on a digital caliper's PC board. The RJ12 (or
whatever) connector is at the other end of the cable and plugs into an
ordinary matching socket. Ie, the RJ12 connector is not a concern,
the problem is getting the wires connected to the caliper's PCB.
Ohland implies that an expensive commercial cable is available with
RJ12 on one end and a plug to match the caliper contacts at the other
end; he wants to avoid buying the expensive cable.

--
jiw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:
In rec.crafts.metalworking on 2010-12-20 Bob La Londe wrote:
"Louis Ohland" ... wrote
Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid
wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale
electronics. Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the
cable next to the electronics, and my display unit is displaying
garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese
DRO cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to
[...]

Sounds like you nailed that one . I have cables with stranded wire soldered
to the pads in my digital scales on the mill , but made my own with 26ga
stranded I bought at RS . Of course the other end of mine terminate into 4
pin nini-din plugs , not RJ12's ... and mine are ziptied at 2 places on the
read head bracket , so the wires don't fatigue and break .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Exactamundo. The RJ12 end plugs in to the 3 axis DRO display, the end
that is the challenge is the RJ11 that plugs (loosely) into the scale
electronics. Even with a new RJ11 plug and scale, any side pressure will
eventually pull the plug out.

Ah yes, our little brothers across the ocean really did themselves proud
with this set-up. I had hoped that I could find a matching PCB mounting
terminal where I could solder the tails to the PCB, then simply either
screw or push in the conductor.

Ohland wants to solder solid wires of a cable instead of stranded
wires to contacts on a digital caliper's PC board. The RJ12 (or
whatever) connector is at the other end of the cable and plugs into an
ordinary matching socket. Ie, the RJ12 connector is not a concern,
the problem is getting the wires connected to the caliper's PCB.
Ohland implies that an expensive commercial cable is available with
RJ12 on one end and a plug to match the caliper contacts at the other
end; he wants to avoid buying the expensive cable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 08:58:57 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale electronics.
Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the cable next to the
electronics, and my display unit is displaying garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese DRO
cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to impossible
to solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors from
the small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This probably
would have been good enough, except there's no support for the connector
block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

Use cat 5 cable - (RJ45) and you just have an extra pair.
By RJ12 you mean a 6p6c plug?

Looking at your picture, you only need a 4 conductor cable.
Radio Shack 278-872 is solid conductor 24 guage.
278-870 is also 4 conductor phone cable - not sure if it is solid or
stranded, or what guage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid
wire?

I soldered the scarce chinese scale cables to the scale
electronics. Unfortunately, I did not add an external clamp for the
cable next to the electronics, and my display unit is displaying
garbage.

From past experience, it's too darned expensive to buy the chinese
DRO cables by themselves. Worse, the conductors are the next to
impossible to solder stranded wire.

http://www.yadro.de/digital-scale/mo...odding.html#a2

My quick solder job was to simply unfold the flattened conductors
from the small (RJ11?) end, and solder them to the PCB traces. This
probably would have been good enough, except there's no support for
the connector block... Enough flexing, and things get odd.

Use cat 5 cable - (RJ45) and you just have an extra pair.
By RJ12 you mean a 6p6c plug?

Looking at your picture, you only need a 4 conductor cable.
Radio Shack 278-872 is solid conductor 24 guage.
278-870 is also 4 conductor phone cable - not sure if it is solid or
stranded, or what guage.

Their website says solid under the tech specs . 870-0367 is 4 conductor
stranded - on a 100 foot roll . If you want some and dont want to buy a 100
foot roll , ping me offline . It was the smallest package I could find when
building my DRO and I got lots left .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 6:58*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

The crimp-on tips for RJ12 connection are DIFFERENT for
solid and for stranded wire. It's only easy to find the
tips for the stranded wire. Crimping the stranded-type tips
to the solid wire is unreliable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-22, whit3rd wrote:
On Dec 20, 6:58*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

The crimp-on tips for RJ12 connection are DIFFERENT for
solid and for stranded wire. It's only easy to find the
tips for the stranded wire. Crimping the stranded-type tips
to the solid wire is unreliable.

I have used some (at work before I retired) which claimed to be
designed for both solid and stranded wire. I suspect that they got
those because they did not want to have to figure out which type of wire
they were working with in the field. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 22 Dec 2010 01:42:16 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2010-12-22, whit3rd wrote:
On Dec 20, 6:58Â*am, Louis Ohland wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy RJ12 telephone cables with solid wire?

The crimp-on tips for RJ12 connection are DIFFERENT for
solid and for stranded wire. It's only easy to find the
tips for the stranded wire. Crimping the stranded-type tips
to the solid wire is unreliable.

I have used some (at work before I retired) which claimed to be
designed for both solid and stranded wire. I suspect that they got
those because they did not want to have to figure out which type of wire
they were working with in the field. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

I just did over 100 RJ45 solids a couple months ago. The commectors I
used were "universal"