Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need "higher density" terminal block

You're not likely to find a commonly available connector that will be as
compact as just soldering the ends in a lap joint (wires meet end-to-end)
covered with shrink tubing.
The bundle can then be secured to the housing or other stationary part to
eliminate any significant motion from vibration.

The actual tubular contacts in those Euro-type terminal strips can be
removed from the nylon blocks (after taking the screws out), then the bare
tubular connector/terminal is a plated machined brass connector with 2
screws for inserting wire ends into.. but then there is the bulk of the
connectors and screws.

A small circuit board with two rows of holes can be used to thread the wires
up thru 2 adjacent holes, lay them flat against each other (and the board)
and solder the lap joint. The small board, even perf board acts as strain
relief and secures the joints, which can be covered/coated with corona dope
or liquid tape.

Most miniature terminal blocks are usually intended to be used as a
solderless user interface (inputs-outputs etc), and are generally part of a
circuit board or structural component of an enclosure.
Loose/free hanging cord-end or bulkhead pass-thru types aren't as common..
that's where actual connector ends come into play.

--
WB

"Ignoramus12759" wrote in message
I have a CNC rotary table with a little box containing a terminal
block for the wires (tach, and resolver). To use it on my CNC mill, I
would need to use more wires, such as for a home switch, more wires to
interface to a resolver than currently etc.

The existing box has a terminal strip, but I need something like 3
more terminals. I do not want to just deal with a wire nut mess
inside, or soldered mess, so: is there such a thing as a "high density
terminal block" with, say, 4-5 contacts per inch or something like that.

I looked on mcmaster and digikey and did not find anything

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

Most miniature terminal blocks are usually intended to be used as a
solderless user interface (inputs-outputs etc), and are generally part of a
circuit board or structural component of an enclosure.
Loose/free hanging cord-end or bulkhead pass-thru types aren't as common..
that's where actual connector ends come into play.

The Weidmuller pluggable terminal blocks I noted are exactly that,
pluggable terminal block pairs that directly mate with no PCB required.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think you might be referring to the WGK Series Panel Feed-Through
Terminals shown on this page..

http://www.clrwtr.com/Weidmuller-Terminals.htm

Not exactly high density.. from what I noticed in a quick glance of the PDF,
it appears that the connector bodies are 10mm wide, and the adjacent wire
spacing would be 10mm also with the connectors installed in a row
(touching).

I don't remember how much space there was in the rotary table motor housing
that Ig posted pics of, but I think I recall that the space was fairly
cramped with other components.

Other than a sealed, covered cable exiting the RT box (simplest solution),
an environmentally sealed, high reliability connector might be the only
other good option.

He loves seeing that coolant flow.

--
WB

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Wild_Bill wrote:

Most miniature terminal blocks are usually intended to be used as a
solderless user interface (inputs-outputs etc), and are generally part of
circuit board or structural component of an enclosure.
Loose/free hanging cord-end or bulkhead pass-thru types aren't as
common..
that's where actual connector ends come into play.

The Weidmuller pluggable terminal blocks I noted are exactly that,
pluggable terminal block pairs that directly mate with no PCB required.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

I think you might be referring to the WGK Series Panel Feed-Through
Terminals shown on this page..

http://www.clrwtr.com/Weidmuller-Terminals.htm

Nope, not panel feed-through. These are 5mm? pluggable terminal blocks,
but they are available in both male and female plug versions so they can
directly mate. 5mm spacing is about 5 per inch as Iggy requested.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-20, Wild_Bill wrote:
You're not likely to find a commonly available connector that will be as
compact as just soldering the ends in a lap joint (wires meet end-to-end)
covered with shrink tubing.

Yes, but, I like to be able to undo and redo stuff without cutting
wires. Plus, a terminal block is easier to follow and document.

The bundle can then be secured to the housing or other stationary part to
eliminate any significant motion from vibration.

Vibration is not an issue in this case.

Most miniature terminal blocks are usually intended to be used as a
solderless user interface (inputs-outputs etc), and are generally part of a
circuit board or structural component of an enclosure.
Loose/free hanging cord-end or bulkhead pass-thru types aren't as common..
that's where actual connector ends come into play.

I agree. Anyway, I found something on McMaster, I will get it today if
I drive there, or tomorrow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The style you recommend sound like handy items, but I've been unable to find
the specific Weidmuller parts you're describing.

I think I have similar connectors from Phoenix.

--
WB

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...