Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel band clamps?

I'm helping a pal resurrect a couple water filters
that bag stone particles in a rock machining
operation.

I want to repair or replace all the broken band
clamps that secure the necks of the fabric filter
bags to circular steel flanges inside the machine.

Envision a circular band made of ~0.08" thick
galvanized steel strap, 1.5" wide and 13" in
diameter when closed. An adjustable toggle latch
completes the assembly to clamp the neck of the
bag to the outside of a circular steel flange.

I Googled but I only revealed parts that are too
narrow and / or too small in diameter.

Note that these are heavy-duty; a worm drive clamp
is the wrong answer for many reasons.

In a pinch, I *could* buy some De-Sta-Co latches
but I would rather find something with a lower
profile, like the original parts.

May I have your thoughts on the correct name
for these parts and / or possible suppliers?

Thanks!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I want to repair or replace all the broken band
clamps that secure the necks of the fabric filter
bags to circular steel flanges inside the machine.

May I have your thoughts on the correct name
for these parts and / or possible suppliers?

Thanks!

--Winston

Try this website
http://www.band-it-idex.com/en/appli...dingindex.html

They are an excellant product. I'd use the stainless steel as it will never
need to be replaced . They have all sorts of bands buckle and clips and it
is a much more secure soklution than hose clips

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grumpy wrote:

Try this website
http://www.band-it-idex.com/en/appli...dingindex.html

They are an excellant product. I'd use the stainless steel as it will never
need to be replaced . They have all sorts of bands buckle and clips and it
is a much more secure soklution than hose clips

Thanks, Grumpy but:

I didn't see a clamp on their site that was the
proper size and had the adjustable toggle latch
feature I require.

Their maximum 'custom' part is shy 1/4" in width and
is only half as thick as I need.

They'd be a good choice for permanent clamps for sure.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

[...]

Have you poked around on McMaster for suitable toggle latches? That
would seem to be the point to focus on, attaching suitable latches to
some SS strip stock would be the easy part.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:

[...]

Oh, and post a picture somewhere we can see it and we can give you
better info.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Winston wrote:

(...)

May I have your thoughts on the correct name
for these parts and / or possible suppliers?

Thanks!

--Winston

Have you poked around on McMaster for suitable toggle latches? That
would seem to be the point to focus on, attaching suitable latches to
some SS strip stock would be the easy part.

Yup. I cruised McMaster and saw many similar latches
but nothing 'close enough'. A stumbling block is the
layout of the 'catch' that engages the end of the latch.

On most of the McM parts, the latch is made of round bar.

These assemblies have a flat 'trough' feature that
would not mate with the round bar.

I agree that I could just roll some strip and attach
a toggle latch like McM 13435A61
"Exposed Adjustable Draw Latch Galvanized Steel,
1-1/2" to 1-15/16" Latch Distance
In stock at $13.40 Each"

I was hoping to find an adjustable draw latch that
would mate with the existing catch feature, though.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

Oh, and post a picture somewhere we can see it and we can give you
better info.

Shall do.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
(...)

Oh, and post a picture somewhere we can see it and we can give you
better info.

I just sent it to the dropbox.

If it is posted, it will be:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/BagClamps.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/BagClamps.JPG

Thanks

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:29:31 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
(...)

Oh, and post a picture somewhere we can see it and we can give you
better info.

I just sent it to the dropbox.

If it is posted, it will be:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/BagClamps.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/BagClamps.JPG

Thanks

--Winston

Hey Winston,

Files didn't make it to the drop-box, or not that I can find anyway.

Try Google for "over center latches"

Lots on samples of what I THINK you want.

Take care.

Merry Christmas.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Brian,

Brian Lawson wrote:
(...)

Hey Winston,

Files didn't make it to the drop-box, or not that I can find anyway.

Yup. Apparently the photo was considered unacceptable.

Try Google for "over center latches"

Your clue lead me to the right part!

After further research, it appears I need a
"Under-center Heavy Duty Adjustable Draw Latch"
Just like the Southco 91-812-52
As on page "221" of:
http://www.southco.com/resources/documents/91.en.pdf

Lots on samples of what I THINK you want.

Take care.

Merry Christmas.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In rec.crafts.metalworking on 2010-12-19 Winston wrote:
Envision a circular band made of ~0.08" thick
galvanized steel strap, 1.5" wide and 13" in
diameter when closed. An adjustable toggle latch
completes the assembly to clamp the neck of the
bag to the outside of a circular steel flange.

Note that these are heavy-duty; a worm drive clamp
is the wrong answer for many reasons.

May I have your thoughts on the correct name
for these parts and / or possible suppliers?

Here's a link from googling for quick release band clamps:
http://www.clampco.com/products/t-bolt-made-to-order.asp

Has several styles of clamps, and apparently custom
lengths and widths. Max thickness seems to be 0.062" SS
with widths from 1.25" to 3" in that thickness.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:

(...)

Here's a link from googling for quick release band clamps:
http://www.clampco.com/products/t-bolt-made-to-order.asp

Has several styles of clamps, and apparently custom
lengths and widths. Max thickness seems to be 0.062" SS
with widths from 1.25" to 3" in that thickness.

I had a look at that, too.

Turns out I need an "Under Center" style rather
than an "Over Center" style.

I apologize for apparently submitting my dropbox
picture incorrectly. That image would have supplied
the necessary ~950 words necessary to show the need.

Thanks James!

--Winston

Buying Band saw- advice needed- mild steel cutting Chris Metalworking 42 September 15th 08 08:32 AM
Flat steel band... Jim Wilkins Metalworking 1 April 15th 08 11:52 PM
Flat steel band... spaco Metalworking 0 April 15th 08 07:35 PM
Flat steel band... cavelamb himself[_4_] Metalworking 1 April 15th 08 07:27 PM
How to produce band saw blade from steel strip [email protected] Woodworking 0 July 5th 05 03:10 PM