Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generac Guardian Generators

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:20:26 -0800, Winston
wrote:

David Lesher wrote:
Larry writes:

Prius hybrid? What's the generator capacity of those beasties?
A/C, or straight D/C? Interesting idea.

www.priups.com

Near the end of our most recent outage, I ran my fridge
off an inverter connected to my car battery.
Just sat in the car reading a book for half an hour
with the car idling in the driveway.

Is that how long it took for the freezer/fridge to come back up to
freezing speed after six or so hours of outage?

I had all the parts so the setup cost me about
US $0.50 in gas.

I'm curious as to how much fuel a Prius in generator mode uses in
gallons-per-hour.

Served french - press coffee to SWMBO too.
A little inverter powered from another car battery
powered the bean grinder.

Cool.

She couldn't believe it.

I think my fridge is only 135W, so that's entirely possible in my SWAG
opinion.

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:20:26 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

Near the end of our most recent outage, I ran my fridge
off an inverter connected to my car battery.
Just sat in the car reading a book for half an hour
with the car idling in the driveway.

Is that how long it took for the freezer/fridge to come back up to
freezing speed after six or so hours of outage?

I doubt it took more than 5 minutes after a ~3 hour outage, in
retrospect. I just figured that half an hour would buy me
another 3 hours without any question, even if it cycled a
couple times in the half hour. (We have medical supplies that
require refrigeration.)

I *might* not have rigged this up had I known that the outage
would only last ~ 4 hours in total. Then again...

I did step into the house to check at the beginning and near
the end of the half hour. The fridge was operating normally;
compressor was on at the beginning and off at the end and
the door light worked properly.

I had all the parts so the setup cost me about
US $0.50 in gas.

I'm curious as to how much fuel a Prius in generator mode uses in
gallons-per-hour.

Especially if you could also power other loads like a
NG furnace and washer/dryer for those extended outages.

(...)

I think my fridge is only 135W, so that's entirely possible in my SWAG
opinion.

The nameplate on mine says '8.2 A' or ~ 1 KW!
My little '1.5 KW (PEAK)' inverter had no problem with it, though.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 07:42:53 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:20:26 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

Near the end of our most recent outage, I ran my fridge
off an inverter connected to my car battery.
Just sat in the car reading a book for half an hour
with the car idling in the driveway.

Is that how long it took for the freezer/fridge to come back up to
freezing speed after six or so hours of outage?

I doubt it took more than 5 minutes after a ~3 hour outage, in
retrospect. I just figured that half an hour would buy me
another 3 hours without any question, even if it cycled a
couple times in the half hour. (We have medical supplies that
require refrigeration.)

Oh, it's mighty important to keep that $$$ stuff cold!

I *might* not have rigged this up had I known that the outage
would only last ~ 4 hours in total. Then again...

I did step into the house to check at the beginning and near
the end of the half hour. The fridge was operating normally;
compressor was on at the beginning and off at the end and
the door light worked properly.

Bueno.

I had all the parts so the setup cost me about
US $0.50 in gas.

I'm curious as to how much fuel a Prius in generator mode uses in
gallons-per-hour.

Especially if you could also power other loads like a
NG furnace and washer/dryer for those extended outages.

Rightio!

I think my fridge is only 135W, so that's entirely possible in my SWAG
opinion.

The nameplate on mine says '8.2 A' or ~ 1 KW!
My little '1.5 KW (PEAK)' inverter had no problem with it, though.

Wow, far cry from my Kill-a-Watt readings. I'll have to check for a
plate, but I don't think I saw one, just the listing inside the
fridge. 18.2 c/f

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:20:26 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

Oh, it's mighty important to keep that $$$ stuff cold!

Especially stuff that cannot be bought for $$$$$$ during
an emergency.

(...)

I think my fridge is only 135W, so that's entirely possible in my SWAG
opinion.

The nameplate on mine says '8.2 A' or ~ 1 KW!
My little '1.5 KW (PEAK)' inverter had no problem with it, though.

Wow, far cry from my Kill-a-Watt readings. I'll have to check for a
plate, but I don't think I saw one, just the listing inside the
fridge. 18.2 c/f

As Mssr. Ackman implied, some fridge manufacturers put
the worst-case 0.005% duty cycle inrush peak energy conversion
number on their official nameplate. (Do you suspect a CYA move
here? I do.) Doubtless your kill-a-watt readings are *much*
closer to reality and solves the mystery why my inverter remained
quite cool to the touch.

--Winston