Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bob LaLonde CAMBAM

Bob, seeing you on the CAMBAM forum, I'm remembering it was you who
suggested I try it.

Man, were you right! Andy Payne is both responsive and quite smart. This
package is the CAM.

Thanks for your lead. It never showed up in the "affordable CAM" searches
I did. But what a find it is.

Thanks again,

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message
. 3.70...
Bob, seeing you on the CAMBAM forum, I'm remembering it was you who
suggested I try it.

Man, were you right! Andy Payne is both responsive and quite smart. This
package is the CAM.

Thanks for your lead. It never showed up in the "affordable CAM" searches
I did. But what a find it is.

Thanks again,

LLoyd

I have tried half a dozen affordable CAM programs including a couple that
cost more, and its pretty hard to beat CamBam anywere close to that price.
Its got some minor cutter compensation things which need to be addressed
still for true 3D cutting with ball end mills, and some of the 3D work I do
is still a little confusing, but its head and shoulders above anything else
I can afford. I can take a "3D file" to "cut file" in minutes for a simple
operation.

I am still mastering version 9.7.f, but as soon as Andy announces 9.8 is
stable I'm going to be all over it. He has improved 3D processing, made
repeating machine operations and linking objects faster. Lots of cool stuff
in 9.8... and the best part... the upgrade is free.

I'm glad I was able to help. I know I sound like one of those fanboys I so
despise in other groups, but this is really unbelievable for the price, and
like I said before. Its a real bonus that the developer is so response to
ideas, requests, and criticizm. The other users on his forum are great too.
Bubba, 10bulls, and even c.sitas (another beginner like me) are all helpful
too. Even when I have asked really stupid questions somebody has stepped up
and put me back on the right track.

The 40 uses trial is pretty cool too. I designed a dozen parts or more that
I actually cut during the trial installation.

For the little bit I did you are most welcome.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-18, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

[ ... ]

The 40 uses trial is pretty cool too. I designed a dozen parts or more that
I actually cut during the trial installation.

I went to the web page (after a quick google search) and found
quite a bit about it -- but no clue what software and hardware platform
it runs on. Based on past experience, if nobody says anything, I have
to assume that it runs on Window on Intelm machines, so I won't be able
to run it.

If it runs on other platforms, I would like to hear about it.

And the owner of the web site really should add somewhere to
answer this simple question.

Thanks,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

And the owner of the web site really should add somewhere to
answer this simple question.

Don, in this world of WinBlows dominance, if it doesn't SAY what system
it's good for, it's always Windows.

FWIW, the home page shows a screen shot that is unmistakably a Windows
screen.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

And the owner of the web site really should add somewhere to
answer this simple question.

Don, in this world of WinBlows dominance, if it doesn't SAY what system
it's good for, it's always Windows.

FWIW, the home page shows a screen shot that is unmistakably a Windows
screen.

LLoyd

It is most definitely a Windows platform package. It should be able to run
on some MACs as there are Windows compatibility packages out there for Macs,
and there is talk about porting it over to Linux, but Andy is pretty busy
right now with working the bugs out of the latest release first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
. 3.70...
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

And the owner of the web site really should add somewhere to
answer this simple question.

Don, in this world of WinBlows dominance, if it doesn't SAY what system
it's good for, it's always Windows.

FWIW, the home page shows a screen shot that is unmistakably a Windows
screen.

LLoyd

It is most definitely a Windows platform package. It should be able to
run on some MACs as there are Windows compatibility packages out there for
Macs, and there is talk about porting it over to Linux, but Andy is pretty
busy right now with working the bugs out of the latest release first.

I suppose I should add that I see no need to have it run under Linux unless
you are one of those one computer for everything guys. It includes post
processors for Mach, EMC, Fanuc, and a couple others.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Yes, computers are cheap, there is no reason to try to do everything on
one machine and plenty of reasons not to. I have five machines in
various locations used for various tasks:

- web and mail server (garage)
- CAD/CAM desktop (office)
- email and surfing laptop (office)
- email and surfing laptop (wherever)
- CNC (Mach3) control (shop)

The network and the mirrored NAS storage box integrate everything
nicely.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I do not have my controller machines on the network. Paranoia I guess, but
everything gets scanned manually and then transferred to those via sneaker
net. That way I can run a stripped down lean and mean OS on those machines.
No firewall. No AV. Nothing using processor time except my controller
software. I even where possible turn off all onboard hardware peripheral
controllers and use indepent cards with their own processors. Doesn't
matter much for hacking out a simple template, but for 60k -150K lines of
code it sure does. Its the difference between success and failure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

My CNC controller is running stripped down XP, boots in like 10 seconds,
full network connectivity, no issues. Things are pretty well firewalled
at the router, since no ports are mapped through pointing at that
machine. It's only up when I'm doing CNC milling or plasma cutting, and
it can be virus scanned remotely by one of the other machines on the
network if I want. My network has been up 24x365 for 6+ years with no
issues.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-19, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

And the owner of the web site really should add somewhere to
answer this simple question.

Don, in this world of WinBlows dominance, if it doesn't SAY what system
it's good for, it's always Windows.

I sort of figured that -- but I had to ask. It is always
possible that they may support other systems as well though one would
have expected that if so, they would make a point of mentioning it. :-)

FWIW, the home page shows a screen shot that is unmistakably a Windows
screen.

Not *unmistakably* so. Under X11, there are quite a few choices
of window managers, some of which exist purely because they *look* like
Windows to the users. Not what *I* want, but what some users want.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-19, Bob La Londe wrote:
. 3.70...
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

And the owner of the web site really should add somewhere to
answer this simple question.

Don, in this world of WinBlows dominance, if it doesn't SAY what system
it's good for, it's always Windows.

FWIW, the home page shows a screen shot that is unmistakably a Windows
screen.

LLoyd

It is most definitely a Windows platform package. It should be able to run
on some MACs as there are Windows compatibility packages out there for Macs,
and there is talk about porting it over to Linux, but Andy is pretty busy
right now with working the bugs out of the latest release first.

Thanks! The linux port sounds good to me. As for running a
Windows emulator to run it -- *that* I will not do. (I do have a single
Mac Mini to play with -- but most of my systems are Sun SPARC based
ones.

Thanks again,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
60K to 150K lines of G-code? That is a *lot* of detail.

Imagine cutting out 20-50 hemispheres from .200 to .350 with a .0625 ball
end mill, and then all the supplemental stuff. Pins, ports, etc etc...
(over simplification, but you get the idea, and yes I know a bigger cutter
is faster LOL).

Actually a lot of my detail work takes less code now that I am learning to
do real 3D CAD to get what I want amazingly enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-20, Bob La Londe wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
60K to 150K lines of G-code? That is a *lot* of detail.

Imagine cutting out 20-50 hemispheres from .200 to .350 with a .0625 ball
end mill, and then all the supplemental stuff. Pins, ports, etc etc...
(over simplification, but you get the idea, and yes I know a bigger cutter
is faster LOL).

O.K. I can see where all those lines of code come in.

And the bigger cutter is only faster if it is still small enough
to fit between the hemispheres you are making. It sounds like a batch
projecting from a single surface.

BTW Those various accumulated runtimes I posted yesterday -- they are
now *all* set back to under 14 hours. We had a power outage
this morning longer than the battery backup time available from
my UPS. :-)

Actually a lot of my detail work takes less code now that I am learning to
do real 3D CAD to get what I want amazingly enough.

Great!

Enjoy,
DoN.