Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made a DA collet organizer today

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...Collet-Holder/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:00:30 -0600, Ignoramus30138
wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...Collet-Holder/

Just a comment. I run my machines at lower RPM and way more feed.

Looks good. I think it was about a year ago you wondered if a CNC was
something worth having and maybe you wouldn't use it enough to be
worthwhile. What do you think now?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...teract-2-CNC-M...

Just a comment. I run my machines at lower RPM and way more feed.

Looks good. I think it was about a year ago you wondered if a CNC was
something worth having and maybe you wouldn't use it enough to be
worthwhile. What do you think now?

Nice job Ig.

Good question Karl.

I would be interested in Ig's answer.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...Collet-Holder/

Just a comment. I run my machines at lower RPM and way more feed.

I could not do it due to the aluminum plate flexing. Otherwise I would
too.

Looks good. I think it was about a year ago you wondered if a CNC was
something worth having and maybe you wouldn't use it enough to be
worthwhile. What do you think now?

This is one of the most exciting journeys of my life. Finally I can
use my computer and design skills in machining. I am very happy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...Collet-Holder/

Sounds like bad spindle bearings.

Why didnt you use a 2 flute endmill?

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...Collet-Holder/

Just a comment. I run my machines at lower RPM and way more feed.

I could not do it due to the aluminum plate flexing. Otherwise I would
too.

If you decide to re-visit the collet plate in the future, instead of a
twist dril, try a trepan drill.

Not sure if that's what they are really called, but I've been using
them for years and calling them that, so I'll stick with it.

What is it, you ask?

Good question...

....get a chunk of O-1 or A-2 or D-2 or some other flame hardenable
tool steel of a size that you have a collet for, say 1/2" dia or so...

....Turn one end to the size of hole you wish to create and drill a
hole about .100" to .125" UNDER that size...feel free to bore it iif
you like, but it's not needed to do so.

....Fire up the torch and harden the end you just worked on.

....Now, to the grinder...Grind half of the end you just hardened away.
Kinda like a tube that you sliced lengthwise. Now grind some clearance
behind ONE edge...just like a drill bit, but with just one flute.

If you want to get fancy, and you have a LOT of holes to drill, you
can put a spring loaded plunger in the center to pop the slug out.

play with it to learn just what angle you need and how deep to make
it, but it is a very useful little drill for something like your
collet holder.

Mike
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--I use the Rotabroach brand; there's a nice little kit you can get
for not too much dough.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, I made a similar storage thing for ER 16 collets last
night. This time I bored each hole with a small end mill, like Jon
suggested. It worked like a charm, actually a very fast and gentle
process. No mess with stringy chips. Just 12 minutes machining time.

It was a grid of 0.64" ID holes, 3 by 5 holes, for the total of 15
holes.

Here's the code:

O100 sub
#xc = #1
#yc = #2
#safez = #3

#milld = 0.2310
#frate = 10
#diameter = 0.64

Ocirculargroove call [#xc] [#yc] [#safez] [-1/8-0.02] [#diameter/2] [#milld] [#frate]
O100 endsub

S1 M3 M8

Oapply_to_a_grid call [0.5] [0.5] [0.9] [0.9] [5] [3] [0.02] [100]

M2

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nice job.

One thing you might consider with this kind of project is your choice
of tool. A fly cutter or hole saw turn less material into chips, so
therfore it tends to go faster and you have less of a job cleaning
up. Also, since less pressure is required your bending problem would
be less of an issue.

Roger Shoaf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-22, RS at work wrote:
Nice job.

One thing you might consider with this kind of project is your choice
of tool. A fly cutter or hole saw turn less material into chips, so
therfore it tends to go faster and you have less of a job cleaning
up. Also, since less pressure is required your bending problem would
be less of an issue.

Yep, I will just bore holes with a smaller endmill, from now on. Did
that for yet another collet set (ER16), it was easy and pleasant and fast.