Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default San Bruno Pipeline Accident Update

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik

More here...

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline...n-Bruno-CA.htm

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-14, Erik wrote:
In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik

More here...

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline...n-Bruno-CA.htm

Erik

Erik, what software do you use that cplits URLS in this fashion?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Erik wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:57:21 -0800:

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Url reduced for you.
http://tinyurl.com/gas-pipe-boom

--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Erik wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:04:58 -0800:

http://tinyurl.com/more-story
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Erik" wrote in message
Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik

I copied and pasted this url, and it worked for me. The second one you
posted said OOPS, broken.

This is interesting.

VERY FEW pipelines are welded both inside and outside. Most are just welded
on the outside, that being a confusing term. They are welded FROM the
outside, but the root pass penetrates into the inside of the pipe a tiny
bit, and joins the root of the two pieces together. Very few pipelines are
welded on the inside because it interferes with the cleaning devices run
through them. That would be for the welds that join the two pieces of pipe
together.

The article was about the absence of longitudinal welds, that is the welds
running from end to end, made when the pipe was rolled into a tube, and the
edges joined along their two longitudinal edges. The welds are then
finished so fine that it is difficult to find the weld. Apparently, the
sections of pipe had longitudinal welds that had inside and outside welding,
but some were missing the internal half of the weld. There would be major
inconsistencies if they were present in some sections, and not in others, or
were intermittent, as from a malfunctioning welding machine. I would
suggest that they were made with an automated welding device, perhaps using
the SAW technique. (Submerged Arc Welding)

It will be interesting to follow this. This particular fact of the
investigation is one that I would have never guessed. I always said I'd
wait for the final report, and this isn't even the final report, but it DOES
provide some of the actual facts of the metallurgical forensic
investigation.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

There was also an interesting inconsistency between
the LA times article and the NTSB report. The NTSB
says..

"The rupture created a crater approximately 72 feet
long by 26 feet wide. A pipe segment approximately 28
feet long was found about 100 feet away from the
crater. The released natural gas was ignited sometime
after the rupture; the resulting fire destroyed 37 homes
and damaged 18. Eight people were killed, numerous
individuals were injured, and many more were evacuated
from the area. "

Whereas the LA times says...

"The powerful blast occurred after a major transmission
line running under a hillside neighborhood began leaking
large volumes of gas. When the gas ignited, it blew a
28-foot section of the pipe out of the ground and set
fire to more than 50 homes, 37 of which were completely
destroyed."

Early on, I tried to convince a cow-orker that a 30"
pipe pressurized to 400 psi would be quite capable
of heaving itself out of the ground and 100 feet away
just by the pressure of the gas released through a
failed weld. He wouldn't believe me....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-14, Steve B wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
[...]

Steve, this is very useful to know. DO you know if that one "outside"
weld that leaves a root inside, is done with one pass?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/14/2010 3:46 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:

Early on, I tried to convince a cow-orker that a 30"
pipe pressurized to 400 psi would be quite capable
of heaving itself out of the ground and 100 feet away
just by the pressure of the gas released through a
failed weld. He wouldn't believe me....

Send him this link (fast forward to about 1:10 for the good stuff) to
see a graphic example of the power potential of compressed air or gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyh7...eature=related

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik

More here...

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline...n-Bruno-CA.htm

Erik

Here are your links, unbroken:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/ntsb-reports-sections-of-seam-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline/Preliminary-Reports/San-Bruno-CA.html

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:39:47 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 12/14/2010 3:46 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:

Early on, I tried to convince a cow-orker that a 30"
pipe pressurized to 400 psi would be quite capable
of heaving itself out of the ground and 100 feet away
just by the pressure of the gas released through a
failed weld. He wouldn't believe me....

Send him this link (fast forward to about 1:10 for the good stuff) to
see a graphic example of the power potential of compressed air or gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyh7...eature=related

What percentage of that force is due to the truck rim flange and how
much is due to the jet force of a puncture? That's more of a
high-speed mechanical disconnect with mass vs a puncture.

Or would the pipeline be more of a half-circumference fracture which
enlarged? How do they actually fail? Rustouts would be pinhole jets,
but what happened here?

I dunno, but it feels like an apple/orange comparison here.

I can see that 400psi would blow out a lot of earth, but it doesn't
seem strong enough to lift a long, heavy, rigid pipe + earth unless it
had found a flame and exploded.

LJ--not an engineer.

--
Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises.
-- Demosthenes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/15/2010 5:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

What percentage of that force is due to the truck rim flange and how
much is due to the jet force of a puncture? That's more of a
high-speed mechanical disconnect with mass vs a puncture.

And where does the energy come from? All the energy released in the
failure originates with the air pressure, the explosive nature of the
failure is due to the strength of the materials being exceeded.

I dunno, but it feels like an apple/orange comparison here.

Well in a sense it is, but it does demonstrate the power of compressed
air, or gas. There is a reason things like gas bottles are tested with
water under pressure (hydrostatic) instead of compressed gas. Spring a
leak with water, and pressure drops at once.

I can see that 400psi would blow out a lot of earth, but it doesn't
seem strong enough to lift a long, heavy, rigid pipe + earth unless it
had found a flame and exploded.

As for the explosion theory, where did the oxygen come from that would
be needed for an actual explosion? I could see gas seeping through the
earth catching fire and burning at the surface. But I can't see there
being any significant oxygen, let alone an ignition source, around a
buried pipe.
Don't forget, there was a hell of a lot of volume of gas in that
pipeline. It wasn't like the pressure suddenly dropped the instant the
pipe began to fail. And, the earth is a lot heavier than the pipe. If
the failure was at the bottom and there was enough force to move all
that earth, moving the pipe as well is rather trivial.

Just my seat of the pants thoughts, worth half what ya paid for them... G

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 15, 8:34*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I dunno, but it feels like an apple/orange comparison here. *

I can see that 400psi would blow out a lot of earth, but it doesn't
seem strong enough to lift a long, heavy, rigid pipe + earth unless it
had found a flame and exploded.

LJ--

Well let's see. A 30 inch dia pipe would have 30 times 12 square
inches or 360 sq inches per foot of length. That times 400 psi would
be 144,000 lb of force per foot of length or 72 tons of force per foot
of length trying to rupture the pipe. That might be strong enough to
lift one foot of pipe and the earth above it.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 12/14/2010 3:46 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:

Early on, I tried to convince a cow-orker that a 30"
pipe pressurized to 400 psi would be quite capable
of heaving itself out of the ground and 100 feet away
just by the pressure of the gas released through a
failed weld. He wouldn't believe me....

Send him this link (fast forward to about 1:10 for the good stuff) to
see a graphic example of the power potential of compressed air or gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyh7...eature=related

Sonnofabitch...

I changed hundreds of split-rim logging truck tires
in my misguided youth...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/15/2010 10:18 AM, Jim Stewart wrote:

I changed hundreds of split-rim logging truck tires
in my misguided youth...

My first truck had split rims originally and I changed my first set of
tires myself. Dad showed me how and I didn't think it was any big deal.
When he showed me how to insure the rim lock was seated, I didn't
question it at all, just followed his example and had no problems.

But boy, when years later I read about a guy decapitated from a split
rim coming apart, it sure sent a chill up my spine! Yeah, I was right on
top of those suckers when airing them up...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 12/15/2010 10:18 AM, Jim Stewart wrote:

I changed hundreds of split-rim logging truck tires in my misguided
youth...

My first truck had split rims originally and I changed my first set
of tires myself. Dad showed me how and I didn't think it was any big
deal. When he showed me how to insure the rim lock was seated, I
didn't question it at all, just followed his example and had no
problems.

Yup, we had just a few rules, make sure the
rim wasn't bent and that it seated properly,
use a clip-on air chuck and then step back a few
steps as it filled. We never had a problem.

But boy, when years later I read about a guy decapitated from a split
rim coming apart, it sure sent a chill up my spine! Yeah, I was
right on top of those suckers when airing them up...

I learned from my uncle and he had been a
tire man for a good 20 years. He was pretty
clear on stepping back as the tire filled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:15:02 -0600, Ignoramus21697

On 2010-12-14, Steve B wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
[...]

Certainly. I visited a pipe plant in W. Java that made spiral welded
pipe ranging from 12 inch to 36 inch, with a maximum capacity of 48
inch. An Australian based company had built the plant and were in the
start up phases when I was there. All of their pipe was welded single
pass using a submerged arc system.

You could see the weld on both the inside and the outside and as I
recollect that was the first stage in inspection - look to see if it
was a continuous weld on both sides.
Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-14, Steve B wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
[...]

No, I really don't. What I find fascinating is inspecting small square or
rectangular tubing. A welding crown is clearly visible on the inside, but
how in the world do they get it in such a small space? I'd like to see it
on How It's Made, or go to a factory for a tour.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-14, Steve B wrote:

"Erik" wrote in message
[...]

So, I was right about the SAW process.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message

On Dec 15, 8:34 am, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I dunno, but it feels like an apple/orange comparison here.

I can see that 400psi would blow out a lot of earth, but it doesn't
seem strong enough to lift a long, heavy, rigid pipe + earth unless it
had found a flame and exploded.

LJ--

Well let's see. A 30 inch dia pipe would have 30 times 12 square
inches or 360 sq inches per foot of length. That times 400 psi would
be 144,000 lb of force per foot of length or 72 tons of force per foot
of length trying to rupture the pipe. That might be strong enough to
lift one foot of pipe and the earth above it.

Dan

Reply:
After seeing a steam line rupture in Oakland about 40 years ago, where it
blew some of the street 15' from the hole, I would estimate that the high
pressure gas carved a rather large hole in the ground on it's way to the
surface. Then with the addition of surface O2 now mixing with the gas, you
have the makings of a large FAE A large fuel air explosive. Also known as a
big bomb. All it took was a spark to happen and we know that did occur
because of the fire. The PG&E records thought it was a seamless pipe, but
the pipe was vintage 1955 I think I read. So a bad weld, and some corrosion
and 8 dead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Steve B wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Wed, 15 Dec 2010 22:27:52 -0800:

What I find fascinating is inspecting small square or
rectangular tubing. A welding crown is clearly visible on the inside, but
how in the world do they get it in such a small space? I'd like to see it
on How It's Made, or go to a factory for a tour.

Pipe and tube are made from sheet, rolled and formed into shape.
The weld is a resistance weld made similar to the way chain links are
welded, but on a continuous basis.

See: http://gobobpipe.com/goBobPipeMill.html
for a look at a machine that makes pipe.
or see a series of pictures.

http://gobobpipe.com/goBobMillTour.htm
The welding and scarfing is shown in step 7 and 8.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
news
We are about to discover that you cannot operate a viable
economy based on stock brokerage, financial engineering, web
design and "academics." Someone has to keep the machines
and infrastructure working and build new "stuff."

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is also a national defense element in what you
forsee. The projection of US power will be greatly
reduced in the future if we continue down the path
of reducing our manufacturing capacity. This will
result in downsizing our militay and free up the military
budget. The money saved can be used for more bailouts.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yet another LA Times article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,7206524.sto
ry

(Does linking like this work better for everyone?)

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

Erik wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 16 Dec 2010 18:05:19 -0800:

Yet another LA Times article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,7206524.sto
ry

(Does linking like this work better for everyone?)

Erik

Nope, still wraps.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(dan) writes:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,7206524.sto
ry

(Does linking like this work better for everyone?)

Nope, still wraps.

But by enclosing the URL; smarter clients can grok it.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 17, 6:59*pm, David Lesher wrote:
(dan) writes:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,0,7206524.sto
ry

(Does linking like this work better for everyone?)

Nope, still wraps.

But by enclosing the URL; smarter clients can grok it.

Even in lowly Google Groups if I reply, edit it to one line and paste
it into the URL box it works.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-san-bruno-20101217,0,7206524.story

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" writes:

The article was about the absence of longitudinal welds, that is the welds
running from end to end, made when the pipe was rolled into a tube, and the
edges joined along their two longitudinal edges.

But seamless pipe won't have a weld to split.....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:59:30 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik

More here...

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline...n-Bruno-CA.htm

Erik

Here are your links, unbroken:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/ntsb-reports-sections-of-seam-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline/Preliminary-Reports/San-Bruno-CA.html

Im surprised that the usual computer savvy guys always miss the

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch writes:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:59:30 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik

More here...

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline...n-Bruno-CA.htm

Erik

Here are your links, unbroken:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/ntsb-reports-sections-of-seam-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline/Preliminary-Reports/San-Bruno-CA.html

Im surprised that the usual computer savvy guys always miss the

Gunner

The aren't part of the URL, and at least on my newsreader (gnus
inside emacs) don't do a thing to prevent linewrap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 18, 7:28*am, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
Gunner Asch writes:
Im surprised that the usual computer savvy guys always miss the
Gunner

The aren't part of the URL, and at least on my newsreader (gnus
inside emacs) don't do a thing to prevent linewrap.

I tried ... for a while but they didn't always work, so I went to
http://tinyurl.com/

I still don't know how to reliably post Cyrillic text.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 01:59:30 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Erik wrote:

In article ,
Erik wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for the long URL.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sections-of-se
am-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

Erik

More here...

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline...n-Bruno-CA.htm

Erik

Here are your links, unbroken:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/ntsb-reports-sections-of-seam-on-exploding-san-bruno-pipeline-were-welded-only-on-outside.html

http://www.ntsb.gov/Surface/pipeline/Preliminary-Reports/San-Bruno-CA.html

Im surprised that the usual computer savvy guys always miss the

It doesn't work with some NNTP software. A lot of newer programs
seem to have moved away from the early standards.