Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Glide dental floss = PTFE ?

What is this stuff? I've found exactly one secret knot that won't pull
apart for tying ends together. Try it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
What is this stuff? I've found exactly one secret knot that won't pull
apart for tying ends together. Try it.

It is expanded PTFE just like the material they make their gaskets from. I
have always been amazed at W.L. Gore; this company has built a whole range
of businesses around creative uses of basically the same stuff:
http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/index.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
What is this stuff? I've found exactly one secret knot that won't pull
apart for tying ends together. Try it.

It is expanded PTFE just like the material they make their gaskets from.
I have always been amazed at W.L. Gore; this company has built a whole
range of businesses around creative uses of basically the same stuff:
http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/index.html

If the above did not make any sense, I just saw that W.L. Gore sold the
Glide brand to Procter and Gamble in 2003.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:11:41 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

What is this stuff? I've found exactly one secret knot that won't pull
apart for tying ends together. Try it.

What might that knot be, pray tell -- and why would one need a bend
for dental floss?

My candidates, if I had a bit of this stuff to play with, would be:
hunter's bend
blood knot
nail knot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman writes:

What might that knot be

My knot is none of your guesses (although I haven't tried yours)

why would one need a bend for dental floss?

This stuff is so slippery, the only way to stretch it tight is to have a
loop of it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 02:27:19 -0600, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Don Foreman writes:

What might that knot be

My knot is none of your guesses (although I haven't tried yours)

why would one need a bend for dental floss?

This stuff is so slippery, the only way to stretch it tight is to have a
loop of it.

Richard, can i hijack your thread? Knot query for slick ****.

Speaking for slippery hard tie stuff - Suffix braided fishing line.
I've learned to tie on a hook with an improved clinch followed by
several half hitches, then an overhand loop to keep the line from
pulling through.

But, I have mono filament backer at the bottom of the roll of suffix.
If a fish ever spools me to this backer, I'm FUBAR. I know of no way
to tie trylene to Suffix that holds.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 5:25*pm, "anorton"
wrote:
"Richard J Kinch" wrote in . 97.131...

What is this stuff? *I've found exactly one secret knot that won't pull
apart for tying ends together. *Try it.

It is expanded PTFE just like the material they make their gaskets from. *I
have always been amazed at W.L. Gore; this company has built a whole range
of businesses around creative uses of basically the same stuff:http://www..gore.com/en_xx/products/index.html

I think that there is a better reference in US patent 5518012. See
the Background section:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?...dq=glide+floss
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend writes:

But, I have mono filament backer at the bottom of the roll of suffix.
If a fish ever spools me to this backer, I'm FUBAR. I know of no way
to tie trylene to Suffix that holds.

Let me reveal what I find works to bend Glide floss: this is based on the
fisherman's knot:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18525...1fisherman.png

BUT before tying this, you must put a figure-eight stop knot in each end:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13510...es/fig9-10.gif

When drawing tight, the knot ends will start to slip through the
fisherman's knot, but then ends then stop and lock when reaching the figure
eight stops.

Now this is a bit tricky to manipulate in this slippery and filmy floss,
but if you can get it done, it usually works.