Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Scam?

Great advice. A local woman was recently convicted for doing just
that. Of course, you're too stupid to realize that you can be arrsted
and tried for doing something like this.

You can be arrested for answering an email? Really? Or was this person
arrested for trying to cash a check sent to her through the mail?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Way back, long before we switch to the Zone Improvement Program's
codes.

Well, they were "zones". As in, Washington, 12, DC, where I grew up.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/08/2010 12:35 AM, Rich Grise wrote:
Ignoramus18826 wrote:

Actually very simple, accept his check (but do not cash it, just
receive it in the mail) and then tell him that you wired the money.

If you get a check and it turns out to be good, why not just do the
deal?

Well, no, the problem is if the check is NOT valid, then you are on the
hook for a significant bad check fee, often at least $35. Also, since
the check will likely be counterfeit, you may get a visit from
authorities who will interview you somewhat harshly. Of course, you
will be able to show them the emails, envelope the check came in, etc.
But, you'll be out significant expense and time. You may be able to
save some trouble if you take the check to a friendly bank and ask them
to verify the check is good first. (Of course, this requires you to
have a friendly bank. After many huge bank mergers, these are getting
harder and harder to find.)

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This scam has been going on for years, maybe a decade to hook idiots
like you. If it was a legitimate it wouldn't use a cookie cutter
scammer script. I get the damn things from people wanting to 'Buy from
your company', then they ask for the URL of my business website. I don't
have a company, or a business website.

I DO have a web site and online store. And I make a significant number
of international sales. The key to detecting the scammers is when they
don't make ANY mention of what I am actually selling, especially telling
me to send them my web URL. Obviously if they have no idea what I make,
but they want to buy some anyway, they must be scammers.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-08, Jon Elson wrote:

Great advice. A local woman was recently convicted for doing just
that. Of course, you're too stupid to realize that you can be arrsted
and tried for doing something like this.

You can be arrested for answering an email? Really? Or was this person
arrested for trying to cash a check sent to her through the mail?

What people get convicted is participating in money laundering
schemes. Such as the ones where you receive email "we offer you a job
to send and receive money".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Great advice. A local woman was recently convicted for doing just
that. Of course, you're too stupid to realize that you can be arrsted
and tried for doing something like this.

You can be arrested for answering an email? Really? Or was this person
arrested for trying to cash a check sent to her through the mail?

She deposited the fraudulent check, and did a couple other stupid
things the scammer asked her to.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

This scam has been going on for years, maybe a decade to hook idiots
like you. If it was a legitimate it wouldn't use a cookie cutter
scammer script. I get the damn things from people wanting to 'Buy from
your company', then they ask for the URL of my business website. I don't
have a company, or a business website.

I DO have a web site and online store. And I make a significant number
of international sales. The key to detecting the scammers is when they
don't make ANY mention of what I am actually selling, especially telling
me to send them my web URL. Obviously if they have no idea what I make,
but they want to buy some anyway, they must be scammers.

Definitely. Or they request something totally unrelated to what you
do have for sale. I have a list on a personal website of HP
semiconductor part numbers to OEM. I get emails from scammers wanting
to order 10,000 of a germanium transistor HP used in the '60s.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-09, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Definitely. Or they request something totally unrelated to what you
do have for sale. I have a list on a personal website of HP
semiconductor part numbers to OEM. I get emails from scammers wanting
to order 10,000 of a germanium transistor HP used in the '60s.

I always "offer" them the same thing, a solid concrete drill press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?
On 2010-12-09, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Definitely. Or they request something totally unrelated to what you
do have for sale. I have a list on a personal website of HP
semiconductor part numbers to OEM. I get emails from scammers wanting
to order 10,000 of a germanium transistor HP used in the '60s.

I always "offer" them the same thing, a solid concrete drill press.

Can you use a Heisenberg microscope ?

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:

(...)

Can you use a Heisenberg microscope ?

I'm not certain.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Rich Grise wrote:
Ignoramus18826 wrote:

Actually very simple, accept his check (but do not cash it, just
receive it in the mail) and then tell him that you wired the money.

If you get a check and it turns out to be good, why not just do the
deal?

Rich, you're either very naive or very stupid if you think the probability
that the check "turns out to be good" exceeds 0.00001%.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Hello,
Thanks for your response and i am very sorry for been so long
replying, I really want to buy the item and i am very greatfull that
you said it is still available. I'm ok with the price and condition. I
am paying you with a bank certified check and when you received the
check and cash it. We can arrange for the pick-up then. Quickly get
back to me with the below information, So that i can quickly send
the check out to you to make fast transaction.

Anyone else find the last 2 indicators as of yet not mentioned?

2 indicators?

been = being
i = I
greatfull = grateful
ok = OK
received = receive
it. We = it, we
pick-up = pickup
Quickly get back to me = Get back to me quickly
below information = information below
information, So = information, so
that i can quickly = that I can quickly
you to make fast transaction = you, to make a fast transaction

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Chomp Noamsky" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

Hello,
Thanks for your response and i am very sorry for been so long
replying, I really want to buy the item and i am very greatfull that
you said it is still available. I'm ok with the price and condition. I
am paying you with a bank certified check and when you received the
check and cash it. We can arrange for the pick-up then. Quickly get
back to me with the below information, So that i can quickly send
the check out to you to make fast transaction.

Anyone else find the last 2 indicators as of yet not mentioned?

2 indicators?
[list snipped -- why give the grifters a free education in English grammar?]

There's at least one more that you missed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Chomp Noamsky"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..

Hello,
Thanks for your response and i am very sorry for been so long
replying, I really want to buy the item and i am very greatfull that
you said it is still available. I'm ok with the price and condition. I
am paying you with a bank certified check and when you received the
check and cash it. We can arrange for the pick-up then. Quickly get
back to me with the below information, So that i can quickly send
the check out to you to make fast transaction.

Anyone else find the last 2 indicators as of yet not mentioned?

2 indicators?

[list snipped -- why give the grifters a free education in English
grammar?]

There's at least one more that you missed.

I let that one slide.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 06:42:36 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:33:53 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

So, send him your name and mailing address, which are pretty much public
knowledge anyway, and if you get a check, take it to the bank, and if it
clears and the bank says, "Yes, you actually have those dollars now,"
contact the guy and have him come and pick it up. Or ship it, or whatever
the terms are.

Some of these scammers are in touch with other scammers here in the
USA, who WILL physically pick up the item in question. Do you really
want to screw with one and face the retaliation that one of his
buddies could inflict? Don't be stupid.

It depends if its been raining a lot or not.

If its been raining..its much easier to dig a hole here in the desert.

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 06:34:02 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 17:08:32 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

So how do you suggest I **** this guy over? Or should I reserve that
sort of thing for after the holidays?

I strongly suggest that you do nothing, Gunner. If you try to pull a
reverse of it on the guy and get caught, YOU go to jail, not him.

Larry..whatever would lead you to believe that Id cash that check?
While Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer..even Im not that stupid.

Hell..only Leftwingers are that stupid.

Finding methods to **** him over does not mean cashing his "check"

Gunner

Top 10 Democrat Party Slogans

10. Bitterly clinging to aborton and taxes
9. We didnt destroy your freedoms, you can
visit them at the Smithstonian
8. If you want us to listen to your opinion, move to Europ
7. Someday none of this will be yours
6. We can't tax terrorism, so who cares?
5. Please don't vote us out!! None of us can hold a real job!
4. Why the Founding Fathers limited Government:
Racism!
3. Reducing America's carbon footprint, one job at a time.
2. America: We just cant wait to see how it ends!!
1. Making everything in this country free, except you.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:00:59 -0800, Gunner Asch

snip
Definitely a scam. As others have noted, it can be fun to engage
these people as long as you know what you're doing.

Related but still OT question: The local Craigslist has a bunch of
cars for sale at ridiculously low prices; a 2007 Toyota Corolla for
$2600, etc. What exactly are the people running these ads expecting
to get? How does this sort of scam work?
--
Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-11, Terry wrote:

Related but still OT question: The local Craigslist has a bunch of
cars for sale at ridiculously low prices; a 2007 Toyota Corolla for
$2600, etc. What exactly are the people running these ads expecting
to get? How does this sort of scam work?

"I am on vacation in Burkina Faso; My assistant will ship this car to
you for no shipping cost; I guarantee your satisfaction; I only accept
Western Union.".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:29:12 -0600, Terry
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:00:59 -0800, Gunner Asch

snip
Definitely a scam. As others have noted, it can be fun to engage
these people as long as you know what you're doing.

Related but still OT question: The local Craigslist has a bunch of
cars for sale at ridiculously low prices; a 2007 Toyota Corolla for
$2600, etc. What exactly are the people running these ads expecting
to get? How does this sort of scam work?

Maybe they're Katrina refurbs from Nawlins. Run Away!

--
That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something
you've understood all your life, but in a new way.

Looks like a scam Caesar Romano Home Repair 31 September 29th 10 05:19 PM
MAKE THOUSANDS FAST!!! NOT A SCAM, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A SCAM Rico Home Ownership 0 September 3rd 10 12:36 AM
New scam? Jack Home Repair 0 April 19th 10 11:48 PM
New scam? Jack Home Repair 0 April 19th 10 02:53 PM