Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wow, this is the weldor of the [last] century

Cross-Slide wrote:
On Dec 6, 11:32 am, Ignoramus6201
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer

Did you note that they REFUSED to let him connect to the sewer line,
and would not let him run his business without it?
Also, they closed off the road to his property, and would not let him
build another road?

It sure sounds like they went WAY out of their way to screw him over
for good...
But we never find out the true facts after such an incident.

Well, anybody who sells property surrounding a piece he intends to
retain, without obtaining the necessary easement rights to be able to
use his own property, is either an idiot or awfully ill-informed. I
have a friend like that, he was ALWAYS suing city hall for some crazy
thing or other, to prove to the world he had a God-given right to park
derelict cars in his backyard or some insane thing. He really seemed to
go OUT of his way to pick fights with the authorities. I never
understood it at all.

It sounds like this guy needed a good lawyer, not a bulldozer.

We had a guy here in Kirkwood MO. who had a paving business, and he felt
he had a right to park bulldozers on the street in front of his house,
and use his back yard as a dump for pavement rubble. The area he lived
in was a traditionally black municipality that had been run pretty much
outside any county regulation for a century, and there were no land
records or recorded deeds, so nobody could sell any of the property, it
was just a mess. So, Kirkwood bought the whole thing up, created a new
deed history and transferred titles to people who had been living
there. But, the downside was that they wanted to regulate it like the
rest of the city of Kirkwood. The guy didn't want anyone telling him he
couldn't park dozers on the street, and got in a huge war with the city,
eventually killing the mayor and 5 city council members.
I don't think Kirkwood was being at all unreasonable with this guy.
After assessing about $250,000 in fines, Kirkwood offered to wipe the
slate clean if he'd just park the dozers on an industrial site and stop
dumping rubble in his backyard. He refused! I don't know in the
Heemeyer case what really went on.

Jon