Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Greenhouse Gas ... Hits Record Levels

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:27:51 -0700, Desertphile
wrote:

Gas prices aren't determined by demand, they're determined by investment
bankers. Every gallon you put in the tank has been bought and sold ten
times already on the commodities market by the time you get to pay for
it. So when the financial crunch came and the banks had to get some
cash, they dumped all their futures and the prices dropped.

There is also a fairly high taxation rate on gasoline in the
United States, which is vitally necessary.

Why is it "vitally necessary"?

(UNCROSSPOSTED FOR YOUR NOTICE)

I'll give you an example. Near my house, there was a section of Interstate
that was getting bad. Potholes, washboards, etc. It needed replacing. So
they did. In the process, they bulldozed EVERY sign, no matter the age or
size or condition, and put new signs up. Those big glow in the dark 300
square feet ones that cost a lot. And all the I beam supports. They also
dozed all the guardrails and put new. They did not use one piece of stuff
that was there. So, I guess it was "vitally necessary that we got new exit
signs and stop signs and road signs AND NEW CATTLE GUARD WITH COMPLICATED
ZIGGY FENCE and stuff that was exactly what they tore down and probably took
to the landfill, as I think they would have laws from anyone taking the
metals to a recycler, not to mention common sense would prohibit that.

And God forbid we low bid it, and use fewer workers and equipment. That's
why we only limit it to one shovel to a worker, as it would look bad for
three people to be leaning on one shovel in those huddles/scrums they have
every fifteen minutes.

Hope this helps. As with all government, if they don't spend the money,
they have to turn it in, and don't get that much next year. It would be
like a kid and his allowance. Oh, you saved half your allowance, so next
week, you only get half that much, Johnny. Either that, or maybe I should
give it to the kid next door that doesn't earn an allowance by doing chores
and just sits on his butt, says the liberal Dad. We all need to do our
share, that's only fair.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Here's a story about how business does things. You know how they are
never wasteful like the government is? In my town there was a large box
store called Fred Meyers, which is based out of Seattle, Wa. They are
just like Target or Walmart, same thing. They had a huge building here
in my town. Apparently, they didn't make it and they shut down. Then
along came Lowes and bought the property right away. Now, this building
was very new, was huge, and was in the exact same location where Lowes
wanted their new store to be. So what did Lowes do? They tore down the
entire, perfectly good building, and hauled all the materials to the
dump. Then the built a brand new store right there where the old one had
been. In my mind that is just as wasteful as anything the government has
done that I can think of. So, just keep in mind that it isn't just the
government that makes bad decisions and wastes money. Businesses do too
and probably even more often. You just don't notice it as much because
nobody goes around pointing it out all the time and when business screws
up and wastes money they shut down. But that doesn't mean the people
running the businesses aren't just as bad at doing things as the people
in the government are.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 1:49*am, Hawke wrote:
On 12/7/2010 9:47 AM, Steve B wrote:

.. .
*wrote:

[...]

I suspect it was because the Fred Meyer store floor was not strong
enough for fork lifts and the Lowes needed a higher ceiling.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

No, it wasn't that. The store was constructed virtually the same as the
new one. I shopped in both. Lowes could have used the old store if they
wanted to. But the corporate decision was that they have a blueprint for
their stores and they all have to be the same and they all have to be
constructed just like all the rest of them. But the point is it's really
wasteful not to use an already constructed building, to raze it to the
ground, and to build a nearly identical one on the same spot. Anyone
thinking about saving money would not do that. It's the same thinking
that you see from people on top who remodel their office and spend 1.5
million to do it even when the company loses money. You have a whole
different way of looking at things when you have gigantic amounts of
money at your disposal.

Lowes has enough money to waste a perfectly good structure just so all
their stores can be the same. You have to be very rich to think that
way. It was a waste to destroy that perfectly good building. That's the
same kind of thinking you get from the government at times. All I'm
saying is that business does the same kind of wasteful things as the
government does. But all we hear in this country is how great business
is and how ****ty the government is. It's not fair and balanced. The
government isn't nearly as bad as the right wing makes it seem and
business isn't so great either.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 10, 3:24*pm, Hawke wrote:

Lowes has enough money to waste a perfectly good structure just so all
their stores can be the same.

Hawke

But all Lowes stores are not the same. I live about the same distance
to two Lowes stores that are not laid out the same. And then there
are all the stores that used to be Eagle Hardware Stores that are now
Lowes stores. I wish they were all the same. It would be much easier
to find things.

Dan