DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Nico mini-lathe (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/314904-nico-mini-lathe.html)

Daniel A. Mitchell December 7th 10 03:35 PM

Nico mini-lathe

Hi Folks:

I have recently acquired a "Nico" small lathe. All it says on the machine is
"Nico... Lockport. N.Y."

This is a very small machine, a bit smaller than a Unimat. It is about a 3"
swing, with a 7" bed. It is driven by a round leather belt, via multi-step
pulleys. It has a "girder" construction, with one support pedestal cast
integral with the bed, beneath the headstock. Ways are of the dovetail type.
It is painted bright red, which I believe is original paint.

It is actually a rather nice little lathe ... It has longitudinal screw feed
on the horizontal axis (much like a Unimat), and screw feed on the cross
axis. There is no compound axis. Head and tailstock tapers are Morse #1.

My guess is that it is 1950's vintage, but that is pure conjecture.

Do any of you know anything about this make of machine? I've tried a variety
of internet searches with NO results.

Thanks, all ...

Daniel Mitchell