DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Vacuum Clamp - Compressed Air ( WARNING! Actual metal working content. ) (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/314790-vacuum-clamp-compressed-air-warning-actual-metal-working-content.html)

Bob La Londe[_4_] December 6th 10 01:31 AM

Vacuum Clamp - Compressed Air ( WARNING! Actual metal working content. )

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...1598890&sr=1-2

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

Cross-Slide December 6th 10 01:53 AM

On Dec 5, 7:31*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...IHR61U/ref=sr_....

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? *Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

Vacuum generator, AKA venturi.

Snag[_3_] December 6th 10 02:42 AM

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...1598890&sr=1-2

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

Yes and yes.

Actually , they don't really use that much air . I've used a similar device
for pulling seams in solid surface countertops , and I was surprised how
little they used .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Pete C. December 6th 10 02:48 AM

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...1598890&sr=1-2

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

Yes and yes.

Yep. HF has a rather nice two stage vacuum pump which can run a vacuum
clamp fixture, vacuum former, etc.

Don Foreman December 6th 10 05:02 AM

Vacuum Clamp - Compressed Air ( WARNING! Actual metal working content. )

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 21:23:24 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...1598890&sr=1-2

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

Yes and yes.

Don't know about this clamp, but the similar device sold by HF for
removing moisture from A/C systems is quite noisy.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vac...ors-96677.html

Cross-Slide December 6th 10 03:23 PM

wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...IHR61U/ref=sr_....

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? *Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

Yes and yes.

Don't know about this clamp, but the similar device sold by HF for
removing moisture from *A/C systems is quite noisy. *http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vac...-and-r12-conne...

Of course! Sound cannot travel in a vacuum, so in order to create the
vacuum, all the sound has to be blasted out of the air.
It's simple physics, I am surprised you didn't know that.

[email protected] December 6th 10 05:14 PM

On Dec 5, 6:31*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...IHR61U/ref=sr_....

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? *Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

I've seen larger clamping tables set up for use with a shop vac, same
with laminating bags. Easy enough to build one, just a box with a
plate of holes on top.

Stan

Snag[_3_] December 6th 10 05:20 PM

wrote:
On Dec 5, 6:31 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...IHR61U/ref=sr_...

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

I've seen larger clamping tables set up for use with a shop vac, same
with laminating bags. Easy enough to build one, just a box with a
plate of holes on top.

Stan

A lot depends on what you're laminating ... a shop vac isn't going to cut it
if you're vacuum forming/laminating three layers of 1/4" MDF to a radius
form .
Now if you're sucking a layer of fiberglass onto a canoe hull , it might
be just the ticket .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

cavelamb December 6th 10 05:26 PM

Snag wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 5, 6:31 pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Sided-V...IHR61U/ref=sr_...

How does this create vacuum with compressed air? Venturi affect?

If its a venturi wouldn't it use a huge volume of air?

I've seen larger clamping tables set up for use with a shop vac, same
with laminating bags. Easy enough to build one, just a box with a
plate of holes on top.

Stan

A lot depends on what you're laminating ... a shop vac isn't going to cut it
if you're vacuum forming/laminating three layers of 1/4" MDF to a radius
form .
Now if you're sucking a layer of fiberglass onto a canoe hull , it might
be just the ticket .

Per your latter,

It works well as long as you allow some air into the vacuum to cool it.
Otherwise the vacuum cleaner wont last long.

But that does reduce the pull...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Dave__67 December 6th 10 06:31 PM

On Dec 6, 12:26*pm, CaveLamb wrote:
Snag wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Better vacuums don't use the 'sucked' air in the cooling path. Also
good because fines aren't blasted through the motor.

I always look for this feature when shop-vac shopping.

Dave