Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default G-codes past RS-274 a waste?

I'm beginning to think that the only reason why manufactures add complex
cycles outside the RS-274 basic list is to save program size.

I'm trying to puzzle out what the difference is between a normal
rectangular pocket cycle and the Bridgeport G172 "pocket frame" cycle.

I have a supposedly working sample program using the G172, but absolutely
no docs on what its parameters are.

All it appears to do is make a rectangular pocket with ordinary radiused
corners.

So, what's with the name "pocket frame"?

Anybody here know?

Thanks,
LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley in
. 3.70:

So, what's with the name "pocket frame"?

Anybody here know?

As usual... I should have added something.

I have been using G-Simple to generate codes. Even with the "Brigeport"
post processor, it doesn't generate extended codes. And, of course, it
works fine. But it does make long programs, and the R2E4 has limited
part program storage (yeah, I know... retrofit it! G)

But I'm damned curious about these extensions, because they look useful,
and G-simple's post processor is configurable.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm beginning to think that the only reason why manufactures add complex
cycles outside the RS-274 basic list is to save program size.

I'm trying to puzzle out what the difference is between a normal
rectangular pocket cycle and the Bridgeport G172 "pocket frame" cycle.

I have a supposedly working sample program using the G172, but absolutely
no docs on what its parameters are.

All it appears to do is make a rectangular pocket with ordinary radiused
corners.

So, what's with the name "pocket frame"?

Anybody here know?

It couldn't have anything to do with preventing programs from being
portable from one brand of machine to another, of course.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Anybody here know?

It couldn't have anything to do with preventing programs from being
portable from one brand of machine to another, of course.

You have to wonder on that but I have a feeling in the pre-cad cam days creating a code
that could do common tasks easily was a selling feature.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-04, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I'm beginning to think that the only reason why manufactures add complex
cycles outside the RS-274 basic list is to save program size.

I'm trying to puzzle out what the difference is between a normal
rectangular pocket cycle and the Bridgeport G172 "pocket frame" cycle.

I have a supposedly working sample program using the G172, but absolutely
no docs on what its parameters are.

All it appears to do is make a rectangular pocket with ordinary radiused
corners.

So, what's with the name "pocket frame"?

Anybody here know?

No -- I don't *know*. But guessing from the name, I would
suggest that it does not bother clearing out the center area -- it
*just* cuts the frame (probably for cutting through a thin workpiece to
make a rectangular window to mount something in a panel.

The main thing is that it will save time and tool wear if you
only need to cut all the way through the workpiece instead of milling
out a blind bottomed pocket.

Try it and see what it does. (Or do you not have the machine
off the trailer and running yet?)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Try it and see what it does. (Or do you not have the machine
off the trailer and running yet?)

Did... that's why I'm asking. It just milled a pocket, as far as I can
see, just like any other canned pocket cycle.

Oh, yes, the machine makes parts, but so far only with G-simple codes,
which (even with basic post-processing) gives only the basic moves. It
doesn't use canned cycles unless specifically instructed by the post
processor defs. (that's understandable, since every machine has
different canned cycles).

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Try it and see what it does. (Or do you not have the machine
off the trailer and running yet?)

Did... that's why I'm asking. It just milled a pocket, as far as I can
see, just like any other canned pocket cycle.

Was the pocket large enough relative to the end mill so it would
have needed to make extra passes to clear out the center?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Was the pocket large enough relative to the end mill so it would
have needed to make extra passes to clear out the center?

Yes, Don. That would be intuitively obvious. I milled a 2.5" square
"pocket frame" .125" deep with a 3/8" bit, just to be sure.

G78 == Pocket Mill
G172 == Pocket Frame Mill

So far, the only thing I can see that is apparently different (don't have
any docs on the parameters, except from ONE programming example) is that
the "pocket frame" cycle appears to have a parameter for the radius of
the corners.

???

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-06, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

Was the pocket large enough relative to the end mill so it would
have needed to make extra passes to clear out the center?

Yes, Don. That would be intuitively obvious. I milled a 2.5" square
"pocket frame" .125" deep with a 3/8" bit, just to be sure.

Good enough! That was not clear from what I saw before.

G78 == Pocket Mill
G172 == Pocket Frame Mill

So far, the only thing I can see that is apparently different (don't have
any docs on the parameters, except from ONE programming example) is that
the "pocket frame" cycle appears to have a parameter for the radius of
the corners.

O.K. It may have another parameter for width of frame, and when
not set, it defaults to normal pocketing.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

O.K. It may have another parameter for width of frame, and when
not set, it defaults to normal pocketing.

Possible, but the one example I have is _supposed_ to mill an island, and
doesn't, just a pocket.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-07, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in
:

O.K. It may have another parameter for width of frame, and when
not set, it defaults to normal pocketing.

Possible, but the one example I have is _supposed_ to mill an island, and
doesn't, just a pocket.

O.K. An island is sort of like what I was thinking of -- but
just not penetrating through the workpiece. And then, yes it *should*
have extra parameters to show the size of the outer part and the island
itself. The example must be missing something. (Hmm ... perhaps an
M-code is used to set two of the parameters prior to invoking the others
in the G-code?) Does the example code have an M-code somewhere above
the G-code in question -- or perhaps immediately following it? (There
are some G-codes which work like that on my little Emco-Maier Compact-5
CNC lathe, and some which are extremely picky about the values of
parameters, e.g. when turning a radius of less than 90 degrees. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.