Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How NOT to remove a lathe chuck

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/03/2010 12:18 PM, anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

You could have a "live injury in progress" warning, fer crying out loud!
My leg hurts just from watching that.

Didn't they listen when the instructor told them that those machines
won't just bite you, they'll chew you up and spit you out? He's lucky
there weren't bones sticking out of flesh at the end of that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-03, anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

The guy was VERY lucky.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

Can you press stop? Can you press stop?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 3, 2:18*pm, "anorton" wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

Shame he didn't castrated by the tail stock as he goes past it... It
was "THIS" Close to doing that.
It would have been "evolution in action".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-03, anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

The guy was VERY lucky.

Wasn't even wearing safety glasses!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Now what do you suppose is going to happen to the shop teacher when the
school board sees that video? One hopes that he gets what he deserves.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...
On 2010-12-03, anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

The guy was VERY lucky.

Wasn't even wearing safety glasses!

Helluva way to practice your capoeira, wot?

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:18:19 -0800, "anorton"
wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

That was just plain scary.

These kids now days are out there. I've had a 22-23 yr. old jump back
like a startled cat when I turned a lathe on for a second cause he was
asking questions. Somehow, I would guess computers, they are suppose
to try the unlikely to see if it works. My kid did something like that
in front of me, can't recall exactly what it was. Something to do with
audio video, like fast forward and rewind at the same time, but that
wasn't it. I guess as if there is a special feature hidden behind
trying to break it or one's self to see what happens.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

That was just plain scary.

These kids now days are out there. I've had a 22-23 yr. old jump back
like a startled cat when I turned a lathe on for a second cause he was
asking questions. Somehow, I would guess computers, they are suppose
to try the unlikely to see if it works. My kid did something like that
in front of me, can't recall exactly what it was. Something to do with
audio video, like fast forward and rewind at the same time, but that
wasn't it. I guess as if there is a special feature hidden behind
trying to break it or one's self to see what happens.

SW

I think (some) high school kids have always done stupid things. Thinking
ahead to predict the possible outcomes of something you are about to try has
to be taught or learned the hard way. It does not always come naturally to
teens. What might be new is the idea exemplified by Jackass or Beavis and
Butt Head that it is alright to sit back and watch while your friend is
about to hurt himself. The guy with the camera must have figured something
was going to go wrong or he would not have started filming.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:

I think (some) high school kids have always done stupid things.

Yeah - I once welded a spot-welder's electrodes together. The teacher
had to take a cold chisel to it to separate them. =:-O

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

That was just plain scary.

These kids now days are out there. I've had a 22-23 yr. old jump back
like a startled cat when I turned a lathe on for a second cause he was
asking questions. Somehow, I would guess computers, they are suppose
to try the unlikely to see if it works. My kid did something like that
in front of me, can't recall exactly what it was. Something to do with
audio video, like fast forward and rewind at the same time, but that
wasn't it. I guess as if there is a special feature hidden behind
trying to break it or one's self to see what happens.

"Oh, kids these days" was probably exclaimed by the first proto-human
that learned to talk, then grew old.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

What nationality? It is not English they speak. I suspect East Europe
but can hear nothing distinctive.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

What nationality? It is not English they speak. I suspect East Europe
but can hear nothing distinctive.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I can plainly hear someone say "press start". It is strange that the lathe
is in forward, and the guy holding on to the chuck key is obviously
expecting the chuck to rotate in the forward direction. Perhaps the object
of the exercise was not chuck removal, but to see how far the lathe could
fling a thrill-seeking idiot.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 20:56:47 -0800, wrote:

What nationality? It is not English they speak.

"Get my foot out" and "push stop" sounds English to me.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How many things did they do wrong?

What on earth were they trying to achieve anyway? Was it just a game
of "I am stronger than that two-ton machine"?
--
RoRo
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

What nationality? It is not English they speak. I suspect East Europe
but can hear nothing distinctive.

USA English, southern/midwestern state punks.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How many things did they do wrong?

What on earth were they trying to achieve anyway? Was it just a game
of "I am stronger than that two-ton machine"?

I think they were trying to remove the chuck. Unfortunately, it
threads off the OPPOSITE way.

The kid's lucky that RPM was set to spin at 5, not 2,000, eh?

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How many things did they do wrong?

What on earth were they trying to achieve anyway? Was it just a game
of "I am stronger than that two-ton machine"?

Remove threaded-on chuck?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 06:27:50 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I think they were trying to remove the chuck. Unfortunately, it
threads off the OPPOSITE way.

That's what I noticed, too. Maybe "Righty tighty, lefty loosy" is not
on the curriculum until next year.
--
RoRo

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Roland wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 20:56:47 -0800, wrote:

What nationality? It is not English they speak.

"Get my foot out" and "push stop" sounds English to me.

Not that it matters. This sort of silliness
is both timeless and cross-cultural.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/6/2010 1:51 PM, Jim Stewart wrote:
Robert Roland wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 20:56:47 -0800, wrote:

What nationality? It is not English they speak.

"Get my foot out" and "push stop" sounds English to me.

Not that it matters. This sort of silliness
is both timeless and cross-cultural.

30 years ago, would someone still have needed to ask "Push stop!"?

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Roland wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 20:56:47 -0800, wrote:

What nationality? It is not English they speak.

"Get my foot out" and "push stop" sounds English to me.

Not that it matters. This sort of silliness
is both timeless and cross-cultural.

30 years ago, would someone still have needed to ask "Push stop!"?

Don't you remember how dumb you were in high school? I sure do -- my
self esteem is only saved by remembering how pathetically dumb everyone
else was (particularly anyone giving those boring old safety lectures).

In high school, I crashed a chuck on this kind of lathe:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/16k20-Lathe.jpg

The spindle motor was 10 kW and the lathe weighed 2.5 tons.

Despite the crash, I fell in love with lathes. I wish I could get that
kind of lathe, for myself, now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

I think that clip is faked.

It sure looks like his right leg was well over the lathe bed before the
scene shifted and he was on his back with his right foot under the
chuck. How did it get back up there?

Opines please...

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 18:23:44 -0500, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

I think that clip is faked.

It sure looks like his right leg was well over the lathe bed before the
scene shifted and he was on his back with his right foot under the
chuck. How did it get back up there?

Opines please...

Done in one cut as far as I see. The videographer nearly got a foot
in the head is why the scene shifted slightly.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

anorton wrote:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

I think that clip is faked.

It sure looks like his right leg was well over the lathe bed before the
scene shifted and he was on his back with his right foot under the
chuck. How did it get back up there?

Opines please...

I think his pant leg snagged on the chuck jaws and pulled his foot
back under the chuck.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:40:24 +0100, Robert Roland
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 20:56:47 -0800, wrote:

What nationality? It is not English they speak.

"Get my foot out" and "push stop" sounds English to me.

So much for the sound on my computer...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

anorton wrote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

Could have ended up much worse. How many things did they do wrong?

I think that clip is faked.

It sure looks like his right leg was well over the lathe bed before the
scene shifted and he was on his back with his right foot under the
chuck. How did it get back up there?

Opines please...

I think his pant leg snagged on the chuck jaws and pulled his foot
back under the chuck.

Y'know, I think I was wrong....I slowed down the video and it does look
like his pant leg was involved in pulling his foot back up and under the
chuck.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia