Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The best invention ever.....

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 22:09:27 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 14:50:55 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:55:49 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 07:27:37 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I'll betcha a dollar to a doughnut that you didn't warm the silly
stuff first. I'd like a chocolate eclair, please.

Shop is always around 68 deg F.

Aha! Confirmation that he didn't warm it first!

68 is warm in MN. Propane has plenty of vapor pressure at 68F.

I was thinking goo-melting, not vapor pressure. Warmer rattle contents
are much easier to spray than unmixed solids in the bottom. Viscosity
matters in mixing, ah reckon.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll betcha a dollar to a doughnut that you didn't warm the silly
stuff first. I'd like a chocolate eclair, please.

Shop is always around 68 deg F.

Aha! Confirmation that he didn't warm it first!

68 is warm in MN. Propane has plenty of vapor pressure at 68F.

I was thinking goo-melting, not vapor pressure. Warmer rattle contents
are much easier to spray than unmixed solids in the bottom. Viscosity
matters in mixing, ah reckon.

My new experiment is to store the aerosol cans upside
down. I figure the unmixed solids will crowd to the top
of the can and any valve leakage will expel replaceable
gas and not cloggy paint.

Haven't lost a can yet. So far, so good.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 23:24:49 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:
(...)

I never throw away a spray nozzle, I toss it in a jar of brake fluid
and every so often I fish them out and blow them clean then store them
in a plastic bottle till I need to spray something.

Me too! That's saved my bacon on many
occasions. I won't buy spray paint
if it has an irreplaceable nozzle.

Do you save the little red straws
from lubricant cans as well?

--Winston

I have an unlimited collection of those, I just haven't been able to
find them for years - they gotta be around somewhere! Seriously,
whenever I get a can with one, I fold a soda straw in half and tape it
to the can as a storage place.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
My new experiment is to store the aerosol cans upside
down. I figure the unmixed solids will crowd to the top
of the can and any valve leakage will expel replaceable
gas and not cloggy paint.

Haven't lost a can yet. So far, so good.

I was going to do that, but I use so little rattle-can paint and don't
really lose many cans, coupled with the uncertainty of how well the
solids would re-mix in the top dome ....
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/3/2010 00:18, Don Foreman wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:09:27 -0800, Jim
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:21:04 -0500, wrote:

I have got to get me one of these. Watch the video, the guy has a
good sense of humor too.

Ebay item 310206425972

or

www.mixkwik.com

I'm tired of cans that clog up and stop spraying. Think this will fix
them. Just wish I thought of it.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

I was a judge at this years "National Hardware Show" in Las Vegas and
judged this tool. None of the judges, including me, thought much of
it. By the time you get the thing out and attach it to your recip
saw, unless you have one to dedicate to this job, then attach the can
to the tool, you could have just shaken the thing up yourself.

I'm gonna make one for myself.

Your time budget is incomplete. It works more like this:

Grab old rattlecan, shake like hell for a minute and a half.
Start spraying. It sprays great for 2 seconds and clogs.
Pull nozzle, soak in lacquer thinner, blow out with compressed air,
remount. Shake can another minute and a half.

Commence spraying. It sprays for two seconds and clogs.

Neighbor's sweet little boy of 3 years asks mommy, "what does
'rat****er*******sonofabitchstink****scurveyworthl esspieceof****'
mean, mommy?" Mommy says, "Don sometimes talks in a foreign language
we don't speak, dear. Eat your peas."

Damn. I laughed my ass off.

Soak nozzle in lacquer thinner, blow out with compressed air. Attach
the shop-made "recharger nozzle" to a propane bottle, shoot some
liquid propane into the can to raise the pressure and blow the gorp
out of the tube inside.

This I'd like to know how to make.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I'll betcha a dollar to a doughnut that you didn't warm the silly
stuff first. I'd like a chocolate eclair, please.

Shop is always around 68 deg F.

Aha! Confirmation that he didn't warm it first!

68 is warm in MN. Propane has plenty of vapor pressure at 68F.

I was thinking goo-melting, not vapor pressure. Warmer rattle contents
are much easier to spray than unmixed solids in the bottom. Viscosity
matters in mixing, ah reckon.

My new experiment is to store the aerosol cans upside
down. I figure the unmixed solids will crowd to the top
of the can and any valve leakage will expel replaceable
gas and not cloggy paint.

Haven't lost a can yet. So far, so good.

Excellent idear, Winsome.

--
"Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty.
There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and
indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration
of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If
the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling
the differences between true and false, right and wrong,
virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of
mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?"
--John Adams
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 09:01:24 -0500, Steve Walker
wrote:

Soak nozzle in lacquer thinner, blow out with compressed air. Attach
the shop-made "recharger nozzle" to a propane bottle, shoot some
liquid propane into the can to raise the pressure and blow the gorp
out of the tube inside.

This I'd like to know how to make.

It's a piece of brass turned to resemble a nozzle stem on one end
(drilled thru, of course) and threaded on the other end to screw into
an old Bernz-O-Matic torch body.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Soak nozzle in lacquer thinner, blow out with compressed air. Attach
the shop-made "recharger nozzle" to a propane bottle, shoot some
liquid propane into the can to raise the pressure and blow the gorp
out of the tube inside.

This I'd like to know how to make.

It's a piece of brass turned to resemble a nozzle stem on one end
(drilled thru, of course) and threaded on the other end to screw into
an old Bernz-O-Matic torch body.

My version:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...anAdapter2.jpg

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 09:37:50 -0500, lid wrote:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:21:04 -0500, Randy wrote:

I have got to get me one of these. Watch the video, the guy has a
good sense of humor too.

Ebay item 310206425972

or

www.mixkwik.com

I'm tired of cans that clog up and stop spraying. Think this will fix
them. Just wish I thought of it.
Randy

Here's another attachment for it:

http://www.theadulttoyshoppe.com/pus...-can-to047.htm

Sorry....I'm just too funny.
Dave

The Sawzall can be used for many interesting purposes.

I saw one of these in action not long ago...two of them actually...and
the ladies..including one who was "serviced" by two at the same
time....found them to be "good"

http://www.****ingmachines.com/site/fm/machines/

of course the Sybian was considered the best of the best.....

Shrug

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

Haven't lost a can yet. So far, so good.

I was going to do that, but I use so little rattle-can paint and don't
really lose many cans, coupled with the uncertainty of how well the
solids would re-mix in the top dome ....

After a couple years of storing used aerosol paint cans
upside down, none of them have clogged.
When I need a can, I just shake it for the requisite
minute after the ball starts rattling and use per instructions.

The paint appears to perform as well as it did when the can was new.

Now I actually *empty* my paint cans onto projects rather
than throw them away, half full.

I fully expect to see a "miracle antigravity paint saver base"
in next year's Brook$tone catalog that is nothing more than a
family of weighted replacement caps!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 21:36:01 -0800,
wrote:

(...)

My new experiment is to store the aerosol cans upside
down. I figure the unmixed solids will crowd to the top
of the can and any valve leakage will expel replaceable
gas and not cloggy paint.

Haven't lost a can yet. So far, so good.

Excellent idear, Winsome.

Thank you sir.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Soak nozzle in lacquer thinner, blow out with compressed air. Attach
the shop-made "recharger nozzle" to a propane bottle, shoot some
liquid propane into the can to raise the pressure and blow the gorp
out of the tube inside.
This I'd like to know how to make.

It's a piece of brass turned to resemble a nozzle stem on one end
(drilled thru, of course) and threaded on the other end to screw into
an old Bernz-O-Matic torch body.

My version:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...anAdapter2.jpg

Bob

Yay Bob! I knew someone here had posted a photo in the past. I
thought it might have been Richard Kinch but I didn't find anything
like this on his truetex website.

Steve, that little slit on the end is necessary. It needn't be more
than maybe .030 or so long, but it has to be there. I made mine with
an .030" slitting saw in the mill. It could also be done with a
jeweller's saw or a Dremel.

Pull spray nozzle out of spray can, set can on firm bench on newspaper
or other surface where paint spillage wouldn't matter. Put on safety
glasses, full face shield if you might have a marketing meeting on
Monday. I don't wear a tuxedo when doing this operation, nor do it in
milady's parlor. I've also never lost more than a few drops of
paint, but the potential definitely exists.

Invert propane cylinder. Jam the nozzle into the rattlecan smartly.
If you wimp out here, there is gonna be a mess. Probably won't hit the
ceiling, though. Once jammed in, maintain downward pressure and open
the propane valve. Liquid propane will flow into your rattlecan until
pressures equalize. This could take a few seconds. Close valve, pull
nozzle out of rattlecan briskly. If you do it right you'll just get a
little "ffft" of propane and not lose a drop of paint.

The can won't explode, or at least I've never had one explode and I've
been doing this for two decades. They're made to safely withstand
the vapor pressure of propane even at fairly high temps, and propane
is, in fact, a fairly commonly-used propellant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What about using butane fuel in the
convenient can? Propane is much less expensive?

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=8615277

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:
[how to recharge rattle can from propane torch cylinder]

Listen to what he said about avoiding a mess. That happens really easily.

I'd like to add that the propane won't transfer unless the pressure in
the cylinder is greater than that in the rattle can (gravity won't do
it). That means a difference of temperature - the cylinder has to be
warmer than the rattle can. Warming the cylinder is easiest, but if
that makes you nervous, you can chill the rattle can.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 23:02:52 -0800, Winston
wrote:

What about using butane fuel in the
convenient can? Propane is much less expensive?

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=8615277

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant

--Winston

Propane is cheaper, and it has higher vapor pressure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What about using butane fuel in the
convenient can? Propane is much less expensive?

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=8615277

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant

--Winston

Propane is cheaper, and it has higher vapor pressure.

OIC. Thanks.

--Winston