Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you store your stock?

Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock
in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

http://www.spaco.org/MyShop/StockStorage.htm

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 30, 5:47*pm, spaco wrote:
Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock
in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

http://www.spaco.org/MyShop/StockStorage.htm

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Mine is also sorted by length, labelled with nail polish. When I run
out of short round stock I saw off the longest piece that fits
comfortably in the lathe from a long bar hung from the ceiling.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/30/2010 4:47 PM, spaco wrote:
Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock
in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

http://www.spaco.org/MyShop/StockStorage.htm

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Right now the small stuff is in 4 or 5 cat litter buckets sitting on the
floor.
Longer stuff is scattered around various places.
the really long stuff is in the loft.

Looking for a better way to do it. I have too much equipment in too
small a work area.

--
I can see 2012 from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some at my brokerage, and some in a safe deposit box at the bank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/30/2010 2:47 PM, spaco wrote:

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

I have a vertically divided rack out under the deck for non-ferrous
materials. Made use of otherwise wasted space under the stairs for
ferrous materials up to 6' (seldom have anything longer sticking around)
and I used some approx 12" x 12" x 24" wooden boxes a friend made up for
me to hold smaller scraps of plate, bar, and round. Soon as I find room
for it, going to be adding a well built cabinet such as used for storing
drawings or art work. Slides look to be good for at least 100lbs each,
so this will be used for any odds and ends that will fit.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
On 11/30/2010 2:47 PM, spaco wrote:

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Depends on size, length, and shape. Lots of short stuff can be stored with
good accessibility when stored vertically. Talking of flat bar, round
stuff, rod, etc.

Full 20' lengths are good on wall racks with dividers starting at zero, then
two, four,six, ten, fifteen, and twenty (minus six inches on the ends), that
allow you to store some shorter pieces.

Flat stock like plate or sheet is different. I saw a neat rack at a glass
shop that was 5'tall x 9 wide, with a stairstep every eight inches
diagonally, and vertical rods every eight inches, that allowed flat
materials to be stored standing up, and in a section corresponding to its
height. Full sheets on either end, then two of each of the other heights in
a way to keep it all visible and accessible. If one has the room, and uses
enough flat sheet goods, a nice setup, otherwise takes up a lot of space.

Round pipes vertically will hold a lot of things, and after that, "stuff"
just has to be put where it will go. Checkerboard grids on the vertical
will also hold lots of stuff and keep it visible.

I like hanging stuff from the ceiling, as that is usually unused space, it
keeps it off the floor making more work space, and if you use grating or
shelving, can stuff a lot of stuff up there, and still see what you got
without having to dig.

But, alas, there is never enough room.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do mine like this: http://fwd4.me/qar

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some at my brokerage, and some in a safe deposit box at the bank.

I do mine like this: http://fwd4.me/qar

Larry you should have built it on a slope. The stuff runs down hill don't ya
know.
Steve

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-12-01, Larry Jaques wrote:

I do mine like this: http://fwd4.me/qar

Are those your "stock"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZU-owLWV3Q
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Some at my brokerage, and some in a safe deposit box at the bank.

I do mine like this: http://fwd4.me/qar

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck

I just toss mine in the pantry

http://www.crueltyfreewa.com.au/imag...k%20Powder.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--As the saying goes no shop is big enough. I made a point to store
as much stuff as possible off the floor so I got good at making bar racks
that could be bolted to wall studs. Second photo down on this page
illustrates my design: http://www.nmpproducts.com/welding.htm
--I've got 'em mounted in the shop, in a shed and in the office for
various lengths of stock. Stuff shorter than 4ft goez on a heavy duty metal
shelf unit that I got from a catalog.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Time flies like an arrow
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Fruit flies like a banana
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 30, 4:47*pm, spaco wrote:
Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock
in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

http://www.spaco.org/MyShop/StockStorage.htm

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

Thank you Pete for an EXCELLENT presentation on an interesting
subject.

This is what RCM used to be like before conservative spam ruined it.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 16:47:41 -0600, spaco
wrote:

Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock
in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

http://www.spaco.org/MyShop/StockStorage.htm

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

I post the same thing 8/7/2009 in alt.machines.cnc

see my post....Subject: How do you store your raw stock?

Nobody seemed to like my rack, not strong enough.

links to pictures still work.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

spaco wrote:

Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock
in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

Most of my metal is 12" or shorter. Mostly drops I was able to get from work with a chit.
Those are in a 4' sq by 12" deep box I used to carry my ice fishing equipment across the
ice. Now it is on one side and there is a lot of stock stacked verticaly.

Wood, well there is a corner of my garage with a couple racks. I have Tamerack, White
Pine, Oak and lots of maple. Some of it is 10 years old. I transitioned from
woodworking while it was curing but I still have all my WW tools. I figure I have at
least 20 more years, I'll get to it.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 30, 4:47*pm, spaco wrote:
Everyone I know is always looking for a better way to store their stock
in their home shop.

Here's how I store mine:

http://www.spaco.org/MyShop/StockStorage.htm

What ways have you found to solve this problem of stock storage?

Pete Stanaitis

Hey Pete...a thought.

When doing your wood storage always plan how you would put out a fire
in the middle of it...especially if it is sharing space with a metal
working area where sparks are flying.

I was saw a shop burn down because the firemen could not get to the
buring motor of a machine..because the rest of the shop was so crammed
tight with "important stuff" like extra stock.

TMT