Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WTB: 18" 3 Jaw Chuck

Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy needs an 18" 3 jaw chuck with large center hole for opposite end
(left) of headstock for supporting pipe while threading.

Anyone got a clunker kicking around?

I need to be able to bore the center hole out to minimum of 6.75"

cringe...and yes..I suggested an adapter with 3 bolts.....which would
be a hell of a lot easier to make up from scrap.....and cheaper......

Good grief, what about an ordinary pipe roller stand with the two
rollers and height adjustment? I can't imagine spinning 6.75" pipe fast
enough to need a top roller, but that would be easy to add.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy needs an 18" 3 jaw chuck with large center hole for opposite end
(left) of headstock for supporting pipe while threading.

Anyone got a clunker kicking around?

I need to be able to bore the center hole out to minimum of 6.75"

cringe...and yes..I suggested an adapter with 3 bolts.....which would
be a hell of a lot easier to make up from scrap.....and cheaper......

Good grief, what about an ordinary pipe roller stand with the two
rollers and height adjustment? I can't imagine spinning 6.75" pipe fast
enough to need a top roller, but that would be easy to add.

I wonder if the second chuck makes the set up a lot more rigid. I expect there is a
fairly long piece of stock sticking out on some supports.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 11:16:37 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy needs an 18" 3 jaw chuck with large center hole for opposite end
(left) of headstock for supporting pipe while threading.

Anyone got a clunker kicking around?

I need to be able to bore the center hole out to minimum of 6.75"

cringe...and yes..I suggested an adapter with 3 bolts.....which would
be a hell of a lot easier to make up from scrap.....and cheaper......

Good grief, what about an ordinary pipe roller stand with the two
rollers and height adjustment? I can't imagine spinning 6.75" pipe fast
enough to need a top roller, but that would be easy to add.

I know I know...sigh...I told him about a half dozen ways to implement
the project.

However having a dog at the opposite end of the spindle from the
threading does have some advantages

I used to do a lot of work for Gossco..a Fullerton California pipe
threading company that did up to 48"

Ive mentioned it before here.

So I do have a skosh bit of knowledge on the subject...

Man doesnt ever seem to learn.

Shrug

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:44:13 -0500, Wes
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Guy needs an 18" 3 jaw chuck with large center hole for opposite end
(left) of headstock for supporting pipe while threading.

Anyone got a clunker kicking around?

I need to be able to bore the center hole out to minimum of 6.75"

cringe...and yes..I suggested an adapter with 3 bolts.....which would
be a hell of a lot easier to make up from scrap.....and cheaper......

Good grief, what about an ordinary pipe roller stand with the two
rollers and height adjustment? I can't imagine spinning 6.75" pipe fast
enough to need a top roller, but that would be easy to add.

I wonder if the second chuck makes the set up a lot more rigid. I expect there is a
fairly long piece of stock sticking out on some supports.

Wes

Indeed it does. Not by a huge amount..but a significant amount

Gunner