DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Metal Nibbler Three (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/314046-metal-nibbler-three.html)

Bob La Londe[_5_] November 24th 10 02:53 AM

Metal Nibbler Three

Picture
http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinb...=671&mode=view

I was just hoping for good mechanicals when I bought it, but it might
actually be repairable.

Its had a new Mitsubishi controller installed, and I was told that they got
the X & Y to work, but had some problems with the Z, I wonder if maybe
there is a brake on Z that was not being disengaged with the new control.

I had started looking for manuals, but there was a stack of manuals that
came with it. I was surprised since they were not advertised in the sale.
The manual for the Mitsubishi controller was inside the control cabinet too.

There is also a box of tapes (program and code files I assume) and five tool
holders including some minor tooling and a drill chuck. It looks like #30
tool holders, but I was told they were "Quick 200." Anybody know how to
measure them to know what it is. (I have not looked in the manuals yet.)

Now I have two problems.

1. Getting it off the trailer.

2. Powering it up. I'll need to get a pretty good size phase convertor
from the look of it.

It will probably be six months to a year before I can start cutting with it.

Gunner Asch[_6_] November 24th 10 03:51 AM

Metal Nibbler Three

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 18:53:19 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

No problems getting it home?

Looks like a fair job of tie down

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't

Bob La Londe[_5_] November 24th 10 04:34 AM

Metal Nibbler Three

wrote:

[...]

Had one of the heavy straps on the mill cut completely through for no good
reason. It looked slack in the mirror so I pulled, tied off the cut end
with, and cinched it back down. Other than that. No issues. It was still
quite secure with the other three straps.

Looks like a fair job of tie down

Four straps on the mill. Two on the control box, and one across my
sacrificial slide panel. Its covered with a tarp in the yard right now.
Tomorrow I start trying to figure out exactly where I want it and how to
unload it. My loader won't handle that much weight. Neither will my cherry
picker. I guess I need to run right out and buy a forklift. LOL.

The electric winch made it very easy to slide it forward to just past the
balance point on the trailer.

DoN. Nichols[_2_] November 24th 10 05:21 AM

Metal Nibbler Three

On 2010-11-24, Bob La Londe wrote:
Picture
http://www.yumabassman.com/bulletinb...=671&mode=view

[ ... ]

There is also a box of tapes (program and code files I assume) and five tool
holders including some minor tooling and a drill chuck. It looks like #30
tool holders, but I was told they were "Quick 200." Anybody know how to
measure them to know what it is. (I have not looked in the manuals yet.)

Well -- the #30 ones are the same taper as the big end of an R8
collet -- and the same diameter. (You can find the dimensions in
Machinery's Handbook.)

The #30 has a flange past the big end which has two notches 180
degrees apart. If it is the NTMB 30 (or NMTB -- I keep getting that
reversed), the flange will be about 1/4" thick (says he without
measuring one) and the two notches will be identical. The edge will be
a simple edge to a disk. There will be a cylindrical section at the
small end, with an internal thread for a drawbar. (Though some
quick-change spindles do not need a drawbar.)

If the #30 is a CAT-30 or some of the other similar flavors, the
flange will be a bit thicker with a V-groove turned into the edge, and
the two notches will be of different size -- so the tool will always
load with the same orientation. It is a designed for an automatic tool
changer. With those, you will find a ball screwed into the end of the
conical section -- with no cylindrical section.

Now -- if the Quick-200 is what I am remembering, instead of
having a flange with a pair of notches, it will instead have a pair of
projecting wings about where the notches would be on a NTMB 30. And
they are smaller. But they are still tapered.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Bob La Londe[_5_] November 24th 10 04:30 PM

Metal Nibbler Three

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Wow.. you could make mini-mills with that machine!

That thought did cross my mind. Actually I could make all the structural
parts for mini mills on a mini mill by making a couple semi permanent
alignment jigs. Some of the bigger parts would be easier on this bad boy
though.

Bob La Londe[_5_] November 24th 10 04:31 PM

Metal Nibbler Three

[...]

I'll post a picture later when I finish my coffee and wander out to the
shop.

Rich Grise[_3_] November 24th 10 07:06 PM

Metal Nibbler Three

Bob La Londe wrote:
... (I have not looked in the manuals yet.)

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Good Luck!
Rich

Wild_Bill November 24th 10 09:23 PM

Metal Nibbler Three

You've certainly demonstrated your many skills and abilities on the smaller
machines, so I hope to see the capabilities of this machine applied to some
future projects, and I presume you do, too.