Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone here rebuild a F163 engine

My SA200 is leaking oil from front and rear seals. Will probably put an
additive in there, but am not expecting a lot. Has anyone rebuilt one of
these four bangers? Doesn't look like anything complicated. I've rebuilt
about half a dozen V-8's in my life, the old 283/327 Chevies. Parts seem to
be available, probably even from NAPA.

Ideas appreciated. I know it will cost a bit, but compared to a new one, it
will be less, and I like this old gal. If the back half checks out, I may
spring for it. I'm guessing $500. Anyone know the real price?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You might as well start out with standard practices..

#1 - a compression check. Most everyone thinks they know how, but look it up
so you don't do it wrong.. which can be very misleading.

Seals can be replaced without an overhaul. Trouble is, ya might find scored
journals and bearings.
But if the journals and bearings are in good condition, keep everything very
clean during reassembly, and all should be fine (assuming the compression
check was good.

Plasti-gage optional, and a good idea.

If journals are scored (no plasti-gage required to determine that they need
replaced), the crank should be ground undersize to spec for undersize
bearings.

Then buy the correct bearings and proceed by keeping everything very clean
during the reassembly.
Plasti-gage is a good method of double-checking accuracy before closing up
the crankcase and running the engine only to find out it cranks too slowly,
or there are knocking noises.

--
WB

"Steve B" wrote in message
My SA200 is leaking oil from front and rear seals. Will probably put an
additive in there, but am not expecting a lot. Has anyone rebuilt one of
these four bangers? Doesn't look like anything complicated. I've rebuilt
about half a dozen V-8's in my life, the old 283/327 Chevies. Parts seem
to be available, probably even from NAPA.

Ideas appreciated. I know it will cost a bit, but compared to a new one,
it will be less, and I like this old gal. If the back half checks out, I
may spring for it. I'm guessing $500. Anyone know the real price?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 21:39:16 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

My SA200 is leaking oil from front and rear seals. Will probably put an
additive in there, but am not expecting a lot. Has anyone rebuilt one of
these four bangers? Doesn't look like anything complicated. I've rebuilt
about half a dozen V-8's in my life, the old 283/327 Chevies. Parts seem to
be available, probably even from NAPA.

Ideas appreciated. I know it will cost a bit, but compared to a new one, it
will be less, and I like this old gal. If the back half checks out, I may
spring for it. I'm guessing $500. Anyone know the real price?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

$500 for what? The seals? $75 at most for all the seals you are gonna
need and then some.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I think he meant a total rebuild - rings , rods & mains , seals , maybe an
overbore and pistons depending on taper and OOR . That's a flathead isn't it
? Might need valves/guides and a set of hard seats too . Not sure if
flatties even have valve guide seals ...

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Gasket set, new mains, seals, rod bearings. Might as well go through it
while it's apart.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.motorpower.net/pricing/f163.html

$415.00

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

IIRC those had a water jacket manifold that would deteriorate over time.

--
I can see 2012 from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Actually, the front and rear main seals can usually be replaced
without tearing the engine apart. See if you can get aservice manual
on the vehicle and look at the procedure. Generally speaking the
front seal is pulled out and the replacement is driven in with a
driver or appropriately sized socket. The rear main is pretty much
the same.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thx. My $500 SWAG was close. By the time I replace everything I want to
do, I'll probably be in it $750.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hmm.. Interesting. Is that with the engine in place? I haven't looked at
it. Can you drop the pan without having to jack up the engine and take the
motor mounts off, or separate from the generator? I know the old Chebbies
had a rope seal that you could pull through with a piece of aircraft cable
that came with the kit. Doing those two without doing everything else would
be a nice alternative.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What kind of engine is that? Is it a vehicle, a ATV, lawn mower, or
what? And what brand, how many CID, etc?

The one time I needed seals on a Dodge 6 cylinder, I did them myself.
Learned a lot, but didn't do much improvement to the leak rate.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Steve B, DON SCHMIDT SCHMIDTY F163 wrote:
I HAVE REBUILT ABOUT 500 F163'S WHEN I WORKED AT VALLEY ENGINE IN CINCINNATI
OHIO FROM 1966 TO 1992 I WAS THE SUPERVISOR FOR THE CONTINENTAL ENGINE
REBUILDING DIVISON

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...ne-341601-.htm