Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gee-Haw-Whammy-Diddle.

Last night at a meeting I was introduced to the Gee-Haw-Whammy-Diddle.
It is a simple device that has been around for a long time but I
hadn't heard of it before. It is a wooden stick 5/16" dia. and 5"
long. The one I was given has 8 notches on it 5/16" apart and 1 /16"
deep.It has a simple propeller- like spinner on one end 1-1/2" long.
When you rub a wooden stick or similar object along the notches the
spinner rotates. The faster you rub, the faster it rotates.the
direction of rotation is determined by where you place your fingers.
Can anyone tell me how it works?
I searched extensively on google and found a lot of references to it
but no one seemed to know what makes it work.

http://bobscrafts.com/bobstuff/geehaw.htm

Also I'm wondering if it would work if made of aluminum?

Engineman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why?

"engineman" wrote in message

Last night at a meeting I was introduced to the Gee-Haw-Whammy-Diddle.
It is a simple device that has been around for a long time but I
hadn't heard of it before. It is a wooden stick 5/16" dia. and 5"
long. The one I was given has 8 notches on it 5/16" apart and 1 /16"
deep.It has a simple propeller- like spinner on one end 1-1/2" long.
When you rub a wooden stick or similar object along the notches the
spinner rotates. The faster you rub, the faster it rotates.the
direction of rotation is determined by where you place your fingers.
Can anyone tell me how it works?
I searched extensively on google and found a lot of references to it
but no one seemed to know what makes it work.

http://bobscrafts.com/bobstuff/geehaw.htm

Also I'm wondering if it would work if made of aluminum?

Engineman- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-20, engineman wrote:
Last night at a meeting I was introduced to the Gee-Haw-Whammy-Diddle.
It is a simple device that has been around for a long time but I
hadn't heard of it before. It is a wooden stick 5/16" dia. and 5"
long. The one I was given has 8 notches on it 5/16" apart and 1 /16"
deep.It has a simple propeller- like spinner on one end 1-1/2" long.
When you rub a wooden stick or similar object along the notches the
spinner rotates. The faster you rub, the faster it rotates.the
direction of rotation is determined by where you place your fingers.
Can anyone tell me how it works?

IIRC, the trick to controlling the rotation direction is the
angle of the rubbing stick relative to the notches which causes the tip
where the propeller is mounted to move in a circle in one direction or
the other. The rest depends on the imperfection of the propeller.

Or -- you can rotate the notched stick so one side or the other
of the notches is higher relative to the rubbing stick.

I searched extensively on google and found a lot of references to it
but no one seemed to know what makes it work.

I suspect that if you had a perfectly balanced propeller, it
would not work -- but given the (lack of) precision of a hand whittled
one, that imbalance is pretty likely.

http://bobscrafts.com/bobstuff/geehaw.htm

Also I'm wondering if it would work if made of aluminum?

Don't make it too heavy -- and don't make the propeller too
precise -- and it should work.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The change of direction has to do with killing the vibration on
one side of the stick or the other. Nothing to do with angle of
ribs, balance of propeller, etc.

I do not know a technical physics answer for the phenomenon. I
have made many for give aways and kid things. Lot of fun to
perplex "smart guys". Another favorite to make is a "snapper".
You tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKJh...eature=related

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2010-11-20, engineman wrote:
[...]

(too) near Washington D.C. |

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"DanG" wrote:

The change of direction has to do with killing the vibration on
one side of the stick or the other. Nothing to do with angle of
ribs, balance of propeller, etc.

I do not know a technical physics answer for the phenomenon. I
have made many for give aways and kid things. Lot of fun to
perplex "smart guys". Another favorite to make is a "snapper".
You tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKJh...eature=related

Watch the video carefully. The first guy is plugging one end of the
tube with his finger, while the second guy is not. The talk of hooking
to the rubber band is misdirection. The rod fits the tube tightly
enough that air provides the spring.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry, Joe. The snap comes totally from the thumb and forefinger
holding the non hook end of the stick. By squeezing the end, you
squirt the stick into the tube with a resounding snap. Nothing to
do with the hook, the rubber band, or anything about air pushing
or pulling. Great project to make one that is convincing.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
Keep the whole world singing . . .

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"DanG" wrote:

The change of direction has to do with killing the vibration on
one side of the stick or the other. Nothing to do with angle
of
ribs, balance of propeller, etc.

I do not know a technical physics answer for the phenomenon. I
have made many for give aways and kid things. Lot of fun to
perplex "smart guys". Another favorite to make is a "snapper".
You tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKJh...eature=related

Watch the video carefully. The first guy is plugging one end of
the
tube with his finger, while the second guy is not. The talk of
hooking
to the rubber band is misdirection. The rod fits the tube
tightly
enough that air provides the spring.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"DanG" wrote:

Sorry, Joe. The snap comes totally from the thumb and forefinger
holding the non hook end of the stick. By squeezing the end, you
squirt the stick into the tube with a resounding snap. Nothing to
do with the hook, the rubber band, or anything about air pushing
or pulling. Great project to make one that is convincing.

How would squeezing the tube have any such effect? It would pinch the
stick and stop it from moving. Nor is tube pinching seen in the video.

Joe Gwinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"DanG" wrote:

The change of direction has to do with killing the vibration on
one side of the stick or the other. Nothing to do with angle
of
ribs, balance of propeller, etc.

I do not know a technical physics answer for the phenomenon. I
have made many for give aways and kid things. Lot of fun to
perplex "smart guys". Another favorite to make is a "snapper".
You tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKJh...eature=related

Watch the video carefully. The first guy is plugging one end of
the
tube with his finger, while the second guy is not. The talk of
hooking
to the rubber band is misdirection. The rod fits the tube
tightly
enough that air provides the spring.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-21, DanG wrote:
The change of direction has to do with killing the vibration on
one side of the stick or the other. Nothing to do with angle of
ribs, balance of propeller, etc.

But changing the angle of the rubbing stick with respect to the
notches *will* focus the viration on one side or the other.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 22:31:27 -0500, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
"DanG" wrote:

Sorry, Joe. The snap comes totally from the thumb and forefinger
holding the non hook end of the stick. By squeezing the end, you
squirt the stick into the tube with a resounding snap. Nothing to
do with the hook, the rubber band, or anything about air pushing
or pulling. Great project to make one that is convincing.

How would squeezing the tube have any such effect? It would pinch the
stick and stop it from moving. Nor is tube pinching seen in the video.

Joe Gwinn

He doesn't squeeze the tube, he squeezes the acorn shaped end of the stick
between thumb and forefinger, thus shooting the stick into the tube.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

He doesn't squeeze the tube, he squeezes the acorn shaped end of the stick
between thumb and forefinger, thus shooting the stick into the tube.

Good catch!

On the second 'snap' (0:20), he puts a little 'english'
on the rod and it spins before seating. He corrects,
tipping the sleeve so gravity does some of the 'magic'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVKJh...eature=related

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
,,, Nor is tube pinching seen in the video.

That's the "sleight of hand" part. ;-)

Hope This Helps!
Rich