Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Zenni Optical, recommendation for sturdy frames for shop use?

Finally got around to getting my eyes examined. Got a prescription for
glasses tweaked just for the range I need when working, primarily on the
lathe.

I bought glasses for my daughter from Zenni last year. She chose them,
so style of course was paramount. I found them pretty flimsy.

For my work glasses, I want a frame that's sturdy and I'm not really
concerned about looks. Anyone have a particular model Zenni frame they
use in a work environment, and would recommend? Certainly willing to pay
for the flexible titanium frames if they really hold up. I often slip
one stem in my back pocket, and ruin hinges when I sit down, so the
hinge is my prime concern.

Thanks,

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Anderson wrote:

Finally got around to getting my eyes examined. Got a prescription for
glasses tweaked just for the range I need when working, primarily on the
lathe.

I bought glasses for my daughter from Zenni last year. She chose them,
so style of course was paramount. I found them pretty flimsy.

For my work glasses, I want a frame that's sturdy and I'm not really
concerned about looks. Anyone have a particular model Zenni frame they
use in a work environment, and would recommend? Certainly willing to pay
for the flexible titanium frames if they really hold up. I often slip
one stem in my back pocket, and ruin hinges when I sit down, so the
hinge is my prime concern.

My "adapted to my astigmatism magnifiers" (regular prescription + 5
diopters) are Zenni's in one of the cheap metal frame ($8.95 at the
time) styles. Not stylish, fairly sturdy, and have the "spring hinge"
feature that soaks up a lot of hinge issues. I still don't suggest
sitting on any glasses, so start hanging them in a front pocket or off
your collar (or an around-the-neck thing.) They seem to change styles
more often than the car companies, so I doubt that exact style is still
on offer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Jon Anderson wrote:

[...]

i have the flexible Ti frames from zenni. they work as advertised, are
strong and light. not only that, the hinges on this one will open to 180
degrees to the lens frame, so will accommodate a LOT of abuse.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Finally got around to getting my eyes examined. Got a prescription for
glasses tweaked just for the range I need when working, primarily on the
lathe.

I bought glasses for my daughter from Zenni last year. She chose them,
so style of course was paramount. I found them pretty flimsy.

For my work glasses, I want a frame that's sturdy and I'm not really
concerned about looks. Anyone have a particular model Zenni frame they
use in a work environment, and would recommend? Certainly willing to pay
for the flexible titanium frames if they really hold up. I often slip
one stem in my back pocket, and ruin hinges when I sit down, so the
hinge is my prime concern.

http://www.zennioptical.com/#/?frm_size[from]=747&frm_size[to]=751

374715 Brown
374712 Gray
374714 Gold

Titanium with springs. Mine have survived 2+
years and I'm *hard* on frames.

Of the frames Zenni sells, these take the biggest
lenses as far as I could find. I like the protection
and image quality of big lenses. YMMV.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
Finally got around to getting my eyes examined. Got a prescription for
glasses tweaked just for the range I need when working, primarily on the
lathe.

Word to the wise.

Measure the overall width from temple to temple of
your existing frames and use that width as a shopping
criteria. Otherwise you'll end up with 'scale model'
glasses. AMHIKT.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:36:38 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Finally got around to getting my eyes examined. Got a prescription for
glasses tweaked just for the range I need when working, primarily on the
lathe.

I bought glasses for my daughter from Zenni last year. She chose them,
so style of course was paramount. I found them pretty flimsy.

For my work glasses, I want a frame that's sturdy and I'm not really
concerned about looks. Anyone have a particular model Zenni frame they
use in a work environment, and would recommend? Certainly willing to pay
for the flexible titanium frames if they really hold up. I often slip
one stem in my back pocket, and ruin hinges when I sit down, so the
hinge is my prime concern.

My brand new Zenni ($4 for spares) frames took a hit from a rake
(yeah, the conventional cartoon style, step on head, handle smacks you
in the face) and they bounced back just fine. It did put a small pair
of scuff marks in the left lens, damnit, abut I'm glad the handle hit
the lens instead of breaking my nose.

These frames feel flimsy, but methinks they're sturdier than they look
or feel. My old computer glasses used their stainless frames and
they, too, felt flimsy but never broke.

Zenni 419012, with double bridge structure for added strength.

Hey, over there, you'll prolly get 'em in 3 days. It takes 2 weeks to
get to the Left Coast.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 12:24:03 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:
Finally got around to getting my eyes examined. Got a prescription for
glasses tweaked just for the range I need when working, primarily on the
lathe.

Word to the wise.

Measure the overall width from temple to temple of
your existing frames and use that width as a shopping
criteria. Otherwise you'll end up with 'scale model'
glasses. AMHIKT.

Yeah, you don't want Asian-sized frames on a fat, old 'Murrican head,
do you?

When Zenni first started, that's all they carried. Several years
later, I tried them once they had a good large-sized selection. I use
the bloody 'ell out of my eyes, constantly moving them and needing
prescription for every angle. Large lenses allow for that, so I'm
right with ya, Winnie.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-19, Ecnerwal wrote:

[ ... ]

My "adapted to my astigmatism magnifiers" (regular prescription + 5
diopters) are Zenni's in one of the cheap metal frame ($8.95 at the
time) styles. Not stylish, fairly sturdy, and have the "spring hinge"
feature that soaks up a lot of hinge issues. I still don't suggest
sitting on any glasses, so start hanging them in a front pocket or off
your collar (or an around-the-neck thing.)

Back in the late 1950s, a pin called a "circle pin" was popular.
I know that my sister wanted one, so she got one for Christmas. (One of
the few times I *knew* what to give her. :-)

Anyway, many years later, I learned another use for them from a
woman who was a traditional musician. She put one earpiece of her
glasses through the pin (pinned to her front, of course) and they stayed
there nicely until she needed them again. (She picked up the pins at
flea markets, yard sales and estate sales, she said.)

I'm sort of tempted to make one or two for my own use --
probably brass, not silver. It was a very convenient way to deal with
the on-again/off-again glasses problem.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-19, Jim Stewart wrote:

[ ... ]

http://www.zennioptical.com/#/?frm_size[from]=747&frm_size[to]=751

374715 Brown
374712 Gray
374714 Gold

Titanium with springs. Mine have survived 2+
years and I'm *hard* on frames.

Of the frames Zenni sells, these take the biggest
lenses as far as I could find. I like the protection
and image quality of big lenses. YMMV.

That is one of my complaints about the local glasses places.
They are only offering "stylish" frames with lenses too small -- even if
you want *safety* glasses.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

When Zenni first started, that's all they carried. Several years
later, I tried them once they had a good large-sized selection. I use
the bloody 'ell out of my eyes, constantly moving them and needing
prescription for every angle. Large lenses allow for that, so I'm
right with ya, Winnie.

Granny glasses are so 1965.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 01:26:55 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

When Zenni first started, that's all they carried. Several years
later, I tried them once they had a good large-sized selection. I use
the bloody 'ell out of my eyes, constantly moving them and needing
prescription for every angle. Large lenses allow for that, so I'm
right with ya, Winnie.

Granny glasses are so 1965.

Hey, my corduroy OP shorts from 1970 still fit me. Pfffffft!

(For you non-Californicators, OP = Ocean Pacific, the surfer's main
clothier.)

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Hey, my corduroy OP shorts from 1970 still fit me. Pfffffft!

With the proper stitching, I could wear *two*
pair of my 1970 pants *at the same time*.

So there.

--Winston -- Would still run out of pockets though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ti flexible frames it'll be for the shop
glasses. For driving, will look for a model with available clip on sun
glasses. I was a bit worried about that one, I'm a huge fan of polarized
sun glasses, but it appears all their clips on sun shades are polarized.
Going to miss the stylish sun glasses I bought in Australia last visit...

The new feature where you can upload an image and 'try on' glasses is
kinda neat, even if they insist on placing them too high on my face.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ti flexible frames it'll be for the shop
glasses. For driving, will look for a model with available clip on sun
glasses. I was a bit worried about that one, I'm a huge fan of polarized
sun glasses, but it appears all their clips on sun shades are polarized.
Going to miss the stylish sun glasses I bought in Australia last visit...

The new feature where you can upload an image and 'try on' glasses is
kinda neat, even if they insist on placing them too high on my face.

Sit higher for your next photo. ;-)

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:52:10 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Hey, my corduroy OP shorts from 1970 still fit me. Pfffffft!

With the proper stitching, I could wear *two*
pair of my 1970 pants *at the same time*.

So there.

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:52:10 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Hey, my corduroy OP shorts from 1970 still fit me. Pfffffft!

With the proper stitching, I could wear *two*
pair of my 1970 pants *at the same time*.

So there.

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Maybe he NEEDS two pairs to keep from splitting a single pair? ;-)

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:52:10 -0800,
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Hey, my corduroy OP shorts from 1970 still fit me. Pfffffft!

With the proper stitching, I could wear *two*
pair of my 1970 pants *at the same time*.

So there.

TOO MUCH INFORMATION!

Maybe he NEEDS two pairs to keep from splitting a single pair? ;-)

Well, yeah...

--Winston