Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-New traffic cameras

?Even the most law-abiding driver might feel a shiver down the spine when
spotting this speed camera at the roadside.

For as well as detecting speeding, it is packed with gizmos that check
number plates to make sure insurance and tax are up to date.

It also measures the distance between vehicles to spot tailgating and takes
pictures of the inside of the car - to make sure you are wearing a seat
belt.

It is the first to detect multiple offences at the same time and is
connected to police computers via satellite, so that prosecutions can be
started within seconds of any offence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-seatbelt.html

Kool, just debit the the vehicles owners bank acoount. I can see cash
straped states in the US

importing these little money makers.

Best Regards

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote in
:

?Even the most law-abiding driver might feel a shiver down the spine
when spotting this speed camera at the roadside.

For as well as detecting speeding, it is packed with gizmos that check
number plates to make sure insurance and tax are up to date.

It also measures the distance between vehicles to spot tailgating and
takes pictures of the inside of the car - to make sure you are wearing
a seat belt.

It is the first to detect multiple offences at the same time and is
connected to police computers via satellite, so that prosecutions can
be started within seconds of any offence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...eed-camera-che
cks-insurance-tax-wearing-seatbelt.html

Kool, just debit the the vehicles owners bank acoount. I can see cash
straped states in the US

importing these little money makers.

Don't laugh. Switzerland had speed trap cameras as far back as 1980.
Because the goverment ran the phones, they would take your picture, send
you a copy & add the amount of the ticket to your phone bill.

The Swiss live in a (so far) benevolent poice state, and the people there
are very law abiding. I visited over the holidays, and would take my
host's dog for a walk along a suburban highway. 2 miles out on one side
& 2 miles back, and I saw 4 pieces of litter. You can't go 50 feet along
a similar road in this country without seeing more trash.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:15:47 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

"azotic" wrote in
:

[...]

That must depend on what part of the country. I can walk a mile along
a road in central MN without seeing any litter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Foreman wrote:

That must depend on what part of the country. I can walk a mile along
a road in central MN without seeing any litter.

Our roads are pretty clean here as well. A lot of the credit goes to the
local sheriff, which utilizes a "road crew" of people found guilty of
certain crimes (mostly minor drug offenses, or shoplifters).

They get sentenced to hundreds of hours of what is termed "community
service", which translates into a year or half year of weekend work on the
side of the highway picking up trash. Gives them a sense of what it is like
to actually contribute something, instead of taking.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The device should have cameras facing all directions, to catch the
people sneaking up on it with a baseball bat G.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt explained :
The device should have cameras facing all directions, to catch the people
sneaking up on it with a baseball bat G.

Bob

In New South Wales Australia we have had speed cameras for many years
but recently "they" have been installing these multi function cameras
in place of what used to be simple Red Light cameras.

Most of the old speed cameras already have seperate picture cameras
mounted away and higher to catch vandals.

"They" are talking of introducing "avaerge speed" cameras on some
country roads to catch you if your journey time is too quick.

--
John G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 02:02:10 -0800, "azotic" wrote:

[...]

Now the big question..are they bullet proof, and proof against having 5
gallons of gasoline dumped on them and after a reasonable amount of
time..having a railroad flare tossed on top?

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
[...]

Politians will gladly replace any units that are
damaged by malcontents at taxpayers expense.

Stealth license plates is the way to go.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
Stealth license plates is the way to go.

Or you could just obey the law.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
azotic wrote:
Stealth license plates is the way to go.

Or you could just obey the law.

Jon

I do obey the law. Its not illegal to
to apply a protective coating on your
license plates in nevada. Window tints
are also legal.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:39:04 +1100, John G
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt explained :
The device should have cameras facing all directions, to catch the people
sneaking up on it with a baseball bat G.

Bob

In New South Wales Australia we have had speed cameras for many years
but recently "they" have been installing these multi function cameras
in place of what used to be simple Red Light cameras.

Most of the old speed cameras already have seperate picture cameras
mounted away and higher to catch vandals.

"They" are talking of introducing "avaerge speed" cameras on some
country roads to catch you if your journey time is too quick.

The problem here being that the driver is charged not the vehicle
owner. Until the owner is held responsible for the operation of his
vehicle we will never have photo enforcement that will stand up in
court.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:39:04 +1100, John G
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt explained :
The device should have cameras facing all directions, to catch the people
sneaking up on it with a baseball bat G.

Bob

In New South Wales Australia we have had speed cameras for many years
but recently "they" have been installing these multi function cameras
in place of what used to be simple Red Light cameras.

Most of the old speed cameras already have seperate picture cameras
mounted away and higher to catch vandals.

"They" are talking of introducing "avaerge speed" cameras on some
country roads to catch you if your journey time is too quick.

The problem here being that the driver is charged not the vehicle
owner. Until the owner is held responsible for the operation of his
vehicle we will never have photo enforcement that will stand up in
court.

Even if it's a stolen vehicle?

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

azotic wrote:
*Stealth license plates is the way to go.

Or you could just obey the law.

Jon

I do obey the law. Its not illegal to
to apply a protective coating on your
license plates in nevada. Window tints
are also legal.

Best Regards
Tom.

I believe Jon was referring to traffic laws.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/13/2010 9:14 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Or you could just obey the law.

GASP! What a shocking concept!

I've spent 6 weeks total driving in NSW, with my wife constantly
updating me on various laws and rules of the road, and telling me what
infractions cost. And they do cost, dearly. Driving there certainly is
not considered the God-Given-Right that most Americans take it for!

I have to say, overall, driving in NSW is a pleasure compared to driving
anywhere in California. Drivers, at least in rural NSW, appear to
overwhelmingly obey traffic laws. My only gripe is during long drives on
2 lane roads to nearby towns, overtaking drivers will tailgate a car
length or less at 100km/hr while waiting for an opportunity to pass.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
... Drivers, at least in rural NSW, appear to
overwhelmingly obey traffic laws. ...

overtaking drivers will tailgate a car
length or less at 100km/hr ...

So, there's no law against tailgating? G

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/14/2010 11:17 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

So, there's no law against tailgating? G

I did say, overwhelmingly, not totally... G
There's a whole lot of road between towns with little or nothing in
between. Enforcement seems to focus in and just outside of towns, though
one never knows where a roving speed trap might turn up.
But even cops will tailgate.

First week of driving there, I got 'booze bused' as Danni puts it. Just
out of Coota, everyone was being pulled over to face a breathalyzer. It
was the day after a national holiday, and standard practice. Guy didn't
even look twice at my CA license, just pointed the working end at my
mouth while I counted to five.
Around last New Years here in Grass Valley, I came out of a shopping
center at night, to find fire and police vehicles lining the road with
lights flashing, and road cones to channel traffic. I was wide eyed
wondering what sort of huge accident had occurred. First cop just asks
me if I've had anything to drink, and when I say no, lets me go with a
smile.... Bit of contrast there... I'm pretty sure cops need some
reasonable suspicion to administer the test here.

'Booze bused' btw refers to sometimes having a van or bus setup to
administer blood/alcohol tests, though it's come to refer to even the
casual breathalyzer testing.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"azotic" wrote:

It is the first to detect multiple offences at the same time and is
connected to police computers via satellite, so that prosecutions can be
started within seconds of any offence.

I don't think that would last long here in a nation of riflemen.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 11/13/2010 9:14 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Or you could just obey the law.

GASP! What a shocking concept!

I've spent 6 weeks total driving in NSW, with my wife constantly
updating me on various laws and rules of the road, and telling me what
infractions cost. And they do cost, dearly. Driving there certainly is
not considered the God-Given-Right that most Americans take it for!

I have to say, overall, driving in NSW is a pleasure compared to driving
anywhere in California. Drivers, at least in rural NSW, appear to
overwhelmingly obey traffic laws. My only gripe is during long drives on
2 lane roads to nearby towns, overtaking drivers will tailgate a car
length or less at 100km/hr while waiting for an opportunity to pass.

When I'm being tailgated, I slow down until the idiot tailgater passes
me, gives me the finger, and heads on to wherever he's in such a hurry
to crash.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Anderson wrote:
... Drivers, at least in rural NSW, appear to
overwhelmingly obey traffic laws. ...

overtaking drivers will tailgate a car
length or less at 100km/hr ...

So, there's no law against tailgating? G

Generally, when a tailgater rear-ends somebody, isn't it considered
to be the tailgater's fault? "Gee, officer - I thought I saw a wombat
run out in front of me..."

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/14/2010 1:52 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

When I'm being tailgated, I slow down until the idiot tailgater passes
me, gives me the finger, and heads on to wherever he's in such a hurry
to crash.

Here, I do the same. There, I maintain speed until a clear spot to pass
shows up, then I give them ample reason to do so.

LOL, reminds me though, a year or so after getting married (the first
time) the ex and I drove down I-5 for a stay at Disneyland. I was
driving at 75-80 somewhere in one of the stretches of vast nothingness,
in the fast lane, when a Toyota full of kids comes up on me fast. Very
fast. I moved over and let them by. Some 20 minutes later, we come upon
the car up on the embankment, having obviously rolled at least once.
Seemed like everyone was ok, though dazed. I honked and waved as I drove
by...

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Anderson wrote:
... Drivers, at least in rural NSW, appear to overwhelmingly obey
traffic laws. ...

overtaking drivers will tailgate a car length or less at 100km/hr ...

So, there's no law against tailgating? G

Bob

Actually, I believe there is...

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

CaveLamb expressed precisely :
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Anderson wrote:
... Drivers, at least in rural NSW, appear to overwhelmingly obey traffic
laws. ...

overtaking drivers will tailgate a car length or less at 100km/hr ...

So, there's no law against tailgating? G

Bob

Actually, I believe there is...

From the RTA NSW web sight
Tailgating penalty $344 and 3 points rule 126.

--
John G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/14/2010 5:09 PM, John G wrote:

From the RTA NSW web sight
Tailgating penalty $344 and 3 points rule 126.

Yeah, that's a pretty healthy penalty...
I'm assuming the locals that tailgate me there, know when and where they
can likely get away with such things. Tailgating is not near as common
in or near towns as on the open roads between.

And I should note, passing lanes there are fairly common and of
sufficient length to allow many cars to pass with no drama.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:42:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:39:04 +1100, John G
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt explained :
The device should have cameras facing all directions, to catch the people
sneaking up on it with a baseball bat G.

Bob

In New South Wales Australia we have had speed cameras for many years
but recently "they" have been installing these multi function cameras
in place of what used to be simple Red Light cameras.

Most of the old speed cameras already have seperate picture cameras
mounted away and higher to catch vandals.

"They" are talking of introducing "avaerge speed" cameras on some
country roads to catch you if your journey time is too quick.

The problem here being that the driver is charged not the vehicle
owner. Until the owner is held responsible for the operation of his
vehicle we will never have photo enforcement that will stand up in
court.

Even if it's a stolen vehicle?

Did the owner leave the key in it while he went in to pay for the
fill-up?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:39:04 +1100, John G
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt explained :
[...]

We have new stop light cameras in NY. $50 fine if you blow through a light-
but no points on your license, so in essence they are handling it like a
parking fine that goes against the owner of the vehicle. I think it's a bad
trend that will eventually backfire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?

wrote:

Gerald Miller wrote:

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:39:04 +1100, John G
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt explained :
[...]

The great camera cull has begun.

France, Italy, Poland, UK: Speed Cameras Burned, Painted, Pelted
Vigilantes use a variety of methods to disable speed cameras in England,
France, Italy and Poland.

Vigilantes set fire to a speed camera in Cheshire, England on Monday around
2:45am. Gasoline-filled tires were placed around the automated ticketing
machine located on Newcastle Road in Shavington, the Crewe and Nantwich
Guardian reported.

A pair of speed cameras in Loucelles, France were taken out of action on
October 21. Vigilantes covered the devices on the 2X2 with black paint,
ensuring that they would not issue any tickets. Vigilantes have targeted the
same cameras since they were installed, Ouest France reported.

In Toulouse, a team of four vigilantes disabled a speed camera last Sunday
by clubbing it. The device is located between Sesquieres and Sept-Deniers.
Police have identified suspects, La Depeche reported.

A speed camera pole in Kedzierzyn-Kozle, Poland remains idle after a
vigilante spraypainted the device six months ago. The device is located on
John Paul II Street, Nowa Trybuna Opolska reported.

In Collagna, Italy, vigilantes spraypainted and smashed the lens of a speed
camera located on the SS63 on Thursday, Il Resto del Carlino reported.
Police have no idea who may be responsible and have threatened to install a
surveillance camera to watch the speed camera.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/33/3308.asp

French anti-terrorist police are hunting a "guerrilla" organisation that is
blowing up speed cameras and demanding a ransom from the State.
Police are taking seriously claims from the Nationalist Revolutionary Army
Faction (FNAR) that it is responsible for the destruction of six radar
installations on roads in the Paris region over the past six months

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3048856.ece

Best Regards

Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson explained on 15/11/2010 :
On 11/14/2010 5:09 PM, John G wrote:

From the RTA NSW web sight
Tailgating penalty $344 and 3 points rule 126.

Yeah, that's a pretty healthy penalty...
I'm assuming the locals that tailgate me there, know when and where they can
likely get away with such things. Tailgating is not near as common in or near
towns as on the open roads between.

And I should note, passing lanes there are fairly common and of sufficient
length to allow many cars to pass with no drama.

Jon

Hefty Yeh!
But try parking in a Disabled Spot without the permit.
It is $422 in NSW!

--
John G

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

Even if it's a stolen vehicle?

Did the owner leave the key in it while he went in to pay for the
fill-up?

Never heard of carjacking? There was a chase through several Central
Florida counties the other day with some moron high on pot, driving the
wrong way in havy highway traffic and speeding. He also called 911 to
demand a lighter for his cigarettes, during the chase.

http://www.wftv.com/news/25762605/detail.html

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/14/2010 7:19 PM, John G wrote:

But try parking in a Disabled Spot without the permit.
It is $422 in NSW!

Then there's leaving a child locked in an unattended vehicle, with fines
up to $22,000!

Yeah, I've actually been listening to my wife, as well as studying.
Played around with an Ipod app from NSW RTA. Don't know how many
questions there are on that test, but I went 40 straight with a perfect
score.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP wrote:

We have new stop light cameras in NY. $50 fine if you blow through a
light- but no points on your license, so in essence they are handling it
like a parking fine that goes against the owner of the vehicle. I think
it's a bad trend that will eventually backfire.

Not too long ago, I hit a stoplight in some LA suburb, that had "RED LIGHT
CAMERAS!" signs; I looked up at the pole, and there were camera mounts with
wires dangling. Either the cams has been stolen or never installed, but the
traffic was very well-behaved. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tyre, petrol, and match. English style. Google: Gatso (I think it's
called),

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
The device should have cameras facing all directions, to catch the
people sneaking up on it with a baseball bat G.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Or braking hard, and causing a wreck?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Jon Anderson wrote:
... Drivers, at least in rural NSW, appear to
overwhelmingly obey traffic laws. ...

overtaking drivers will tailgate a car
length or less at 100km/hr ...

So, there's no law against tailgating? G

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Last year, I was being tailgated. He didn't back off, with several
brake flashes. Finally, I braked to nearly a stop, and then started
back again. This time he stayed a bit farther back, but not enough. At
his first chance, he pulled out in front of me. I followed, at my
usual safe for the speed distance. He slammed on the brakes. And then
started up again. Since I was following at a safe distance, all I had
to do was take my foot off the gas, coast, and start back up. The
difference between his tailgating versus my safe distance was obvious
to me. I doubt he had a hint of a clue, though.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Grise"
wrote in message ...

When I'm being tailgated, I slow down until the idiot tailgater passes
me, gives me the finger, and heads on to wherever he's in such a hurry
to crash.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You da man!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 19:47:43 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 11/14/2010 7:19 PM, John G wrote:

But try parking in a Disabled Spot without the permit.
It is $422 in NSW!

Then there's leaving a child locked in an unattended vehicle, with fines
up to $22,000!

Yeah, I've actually been listening to my wife, as well as studying.
Played around with an Ipod app from NSW RTA. Don't know how many
questions there are on that test, but I went 40 straight with a perfect
score.

Jon

In Nevada they throw you in jail. I was just looking at the meteorite
craters SW of Alice Springs and was noticing the shadow directly under
the kid's feet in the google earth pictures. Must get down right
Laughlin NV. hot there. They go nutz over pets in cars also, so much
so I still seem puzzled when I see a pet in car, here up north. There
are many pets driven around up here, matter of fact, saw a guy almost
crash his Cessna 195 cause he had a Labrador sized dog jumping around
in the plane, really stupid. That's about as smart as stuffing
sleeping bags behind the back seat and on top of the control cables!

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/18/2010 6:48 AM, Sunworshipper wrote:

In Nevada they throw you in jail.

Well that's nice to know. Maybe it's taken serious anywhere it gets
really hot. Here in California, while it's illegal, it's also common.
Obviously not many people get popped for it.

Jon

supplier of CCTV cameras,baby monitor,car rearview cameras [email protected] UK diy 1 December 31st 08 03:36 AM
Web Traffic Marketing Wedding Speeches Home Repair 0 March 1st 08 09:45 AM
Traffic on this NG aspasia Home Repair 6 July 24th 07 05:39 AM
I like the extra traffic UTBill Metalworking 0 June 1st 05 09:01 PM