Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carnival Splendor cruise ship fire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4438" wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

I thought ship engines of this size had "open crankcases" with the oil lines
plumbed. I've also been told that being very slow reving two-stroke engines
they sometimes don't have main caps fitted to the conrods.

Oh - just read some more of the article, it says "a crankcase split" so it
could have been on some small ancillary / genset engine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dennis wrote:
"Ignoramus4438" wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

I thought ship engines of this size had "open crankcases" with the oil lines
plumbed. I've also been told that being very slow reving two-stroke engines
they sometimes don't have main caps fitted to the conrods.

Oh - just read some more of the article, it says "a crankcase split" so it
could have been on some small ancillary / genset engine.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/
http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/em...rsk-engine?506

90,000 HP - at 100 rpm (on crude oil - not diesel)
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-D...rk-54883.shtml

And they pollute something horrible...

How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ars-world.html

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 12, 2:42*pm, Ignoramus4438
wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

No idea what sort of engines it has, the last one I was on had 8
diesels driving alternators...ran engines according to power demand,
spread hours over a large number of units so the major maintenance
timedown would be minimised etc etc.

I suspect "something broke" and a flying bit of "something" hit
something vital with disastrous consequences.......oil line, hydraulic
line, chief engineers Zippo lighter, who knows....

Andrew VK3BFA
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Dennis wrote:
[...]

Thanks - interesting reading. Polluting *******s too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 11, 7:42*pm, Ignoramus4438
wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

The key work was "fire". The entire engine, steering and other power
features of the ship are all remote control from the bridge area. No
one works in the engine area. The fire, there, destroyed all the
communications capability to remotely control things. No manual
operations were possible. Technology at it's worst!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/11/2010 11:16 PM, CaveLamb wrote:
Dennis wrote:
[...]

Well, technically bunker oil.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:42:00 -0600, Ignoramus4438
wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

=========
This should give us all pause as the size and population
densities of urban areas increase and we become increasingly
dependant on all-or-nothing "technology," where everything
works or nothing works, and the failure of some obscure
subsystem can bring the whole house of cards down.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

=========
This should give us all pause as the size and population
densities of urban areas increase and we become increasingly
dependant on all-or-nothing "technology," where everything
works or nothing works, and the failure of some obscure
subsystem can bring the whole house of cards down.

Mother Nature is not overly picky - folks can simply stop breeding like
rabbits, or something _will_ come along to play foxes - mechanical,
something as contagious as H1N1 that kills like ebola, war, famine,
flood - she's not picky as to how it happens, just that it will, sooner
or later.

Sheesh George, there's a city down in Louisiana that's 6 feet under sea
level without effective dikes, and they've been stacking cards on cards
since 2005 to "bring it back." If you wanted to bring it back properly,
the thing to do would have been to learn from Galveston and _start_ by
raising the dang place above sea level, but no...just can't do what them
old-timey folks with their advanced technology could do now-a-days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-12, Ecnerwal wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:
This should give us all pause as the size and population
densities of urban areas increase and we become increasingly
dependant on all-or-nothing "technology," where everything
works or nothing works, and the failure of some obscure
subsystem can bring the whole house of cards down.

Mother Nature is not overly picky - folks can simply stop breeding like
rabbits, or something _will_ come along to play foxes - mechanical,
something as contagious as H1N1 that kills like ebola, war, famine,
flood - she's not picky as to how it happens, just that it will, sooner
or later.

I would like to respectfully disagree.

Many cities, at various times, were bombed, lost electricity, water,
other services, had earthquakes, and so on.

Guess what, most people survived, cities were restored, and life moved
on.

With a few things that I have, such as a generator, very few guns, and
very modest food store, I do not expect to have problems beyond minor
inconveniences.

A huge ship on sea that is jam packed with people, is subject to a
completely different universe of risks.

For example, unlike a city, it could sink in 45 minutes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dan dan is offline

KD7HB wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking on Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:12:46 -0800 (PST):

wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

The key work was "fire". The entire engine, steering and other power
features of the ship are all remote control from the bridge area. No
one works in the engine area. The fire, there, destroyed all the
communications capability to remotely control things. No manual
operations were possible. Technology at it's worst!

And no/ineffetave fire suppression system too.
Damn. If your gonna put all of your eggs in one basket, guard that
basket!

Leaving an engine room like that unattended is like leaving a open
hearth fireplace unattended.
--

Dan H.
northshore MA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 12, 6:20*pm, Ignoramus1439
With a few things that I have, such as a generator, very few guns, and
very modest food store, I do not expect to have problems beyond minor
inconveniences.

Do your neighbors also have generators and food?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
m...
Dennis wrote:
[...]

Some idiot commented "why don't we just get rid of those 16 ships?"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 12, 6:20?pm, Ignoramus1439
With a few things that I have, such as a generator, very few guns, and
very modest food store, I do not expect to have problems beyond minor
inconveniences.

Do your neighbors also have generators and food?

No generators that I know, but I have guns. :L)

That said, I would not mind running a small extension cord to the
neighbors home. My generator is 20 kW.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 12, 3:49*pm, Ignoramus1439
wrote:
Do your neighbors also have generators and food?

No generators that I know, but I have guns. :L)

That said, I would not mind running a small extension cord to the
neighbors home. My generator is 20 kW.

What about a water supply. Without electricity, how long can you water
source continue? Since Illinois is pretty flat, they must use tall
water tanks for storage. Need electric motors to power pumps to refill
the tanks.

Survivalists have barrels of water for backup. I remember an auction
sale at a house that had rooms of food stored and another room full of
filled water barrels. I bought a pickup bed full of cans of dried
beans, etc. molasses, brown sugar. That was almost 10 years ago and we
still have lots left.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Do your neighbors also have generators and food?

No generators that I know, but I have guns. :L)

That said, I would not mind running a small extension cord to the
neighbors home. My generator is 20 kW.

What about a water supply. Without electricity, how long can you water
source continue? Since Illinois is pretty flat, they must use tall
water tanks for storage. Need electric motors to power pumps to refill
the tanks.

Survivalists have barrels of water for backup. I remember an auction
sale at a house that had rooms of food stored and another room full of
filled water barrels. I bought a pickup bed full of cans of dried
beans, etc. molasses, brown sugar. That was almost 10 years ago and we
still have lots left.

I am not losing my sleep over water. We have some bottled water and
several creeks and rivers nearby, plus lake Michigan 25 miles away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Carnival-come for the fun, stay for the inferno.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

=========
This should give us all pause as the size and population
densities of urban areas increase and we become increasingly
dependant on all-or-nothing "technology," where everything
works or nothing works, and the failure of some obscure
subsystem can bring the whole house of cards down.

Who's "we" bubba? Speak for yourself, I avoid urban areas like the
plague they are and I am not at all reliant on their house of cards.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-12, Ecnerwal wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

Much of New Orleans "sank" in 45 minutes...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 12:03*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Ignoramus1439 wrote:

For example, unlike a city, it could sink in 45 minutes.

Much of New Orleans "sank" in 45 minutes...

And Titanic had more lifeboats.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-12, Ecnerwal wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

Well, I am not in New Orleans. My house is actually on a little hill,
and will never be flooded due to topographic reasons. I am not exactly
in a "city" either, come to think of it.

Even in New Orleans, the total death toll was 1,464 persons, out of
over 300 thousand people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 13, 12:03*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Ignoramus1439 wrote:

For example, unlike a city, it could sink in 45 minutes.

Much of New Orleans "sank" in 45 minutes...

And Titanic had more lifeboats.

Everybody's still blaming Bush for Katrina. Well, howcome for the THREE DAYS
while Katrina was building up in the gulf, and the mayor was on TeeVee
EVERY DAY, saying, "GET OUT!! I have ordered mandatory evacuations! GET
OUT!!!" they all just sat there?

There was a string of buses waiting to evacuate people, but they were left
to be flooded; all the residents said, 'Nah, suh, we's be fine - it's jess
a lil' ol' hurricane." and sat there.

They have nobody to blame but themselves.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

On 2010-11-12, Ecnerwal
wrote:
F. George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

Which was partially offset by the drop in the murder rate, at least until
the original residents started returning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A natural attraction to greedy white capitalist bankers, then?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...