Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My latest invention: Bicycle Tire Chains

Everybody knows about tire chains. I'd like to see how they're specified,
especially the "T" where the transverse chains attach to the
circumferential ones.

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

The design is trivial, but I'd have to specify what chain, the "T"
connections, and some kind of connector that's got length compliance, to
accommodate variations in tire diameter and etc.

So, any suggestions on a specific chain, some kind of "T", and a connector?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Everybody knows about tire chains. I'd like to see how they're specified,
especially the "T" where the transverse chains attach to the
circumferential ones.

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

The design is trivial, but I'd have to specify what chain, the "T"
connections, and some kind of connector that's got length compliance, to
accommodate variations in tire diameter and etc.

So, any suggestions on a specific chain, some kind of "T", and a connector?

Thanks,
Rich

Simpler, pieces of small square tubing strapped to the tire with
zip-ties. Use those stainless zip-ties if you're feeling fancy, but the
basic black quality ones should be fine for a season and easy to cut off
at the end of the season. No need for any circumferential chains, since
the spokes will keep the zip ties from moving anywhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Rich Grise wrote:

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

Sheet metal screws from inside out, tire liner, tube.

Nah, that's studs, which are illegal on car tires in some places, and they
really suck for when the weather changes a lot. You'd have to change the
whole tire. With chains, when you come to a dry spot, you just pop off the
chains, ride across the dry spot, and remount them when you come to the next
ice & crap.

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

On 11/04/2010 03:40 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes.

I think the big problem is the brakes. Unless you go to disc brakes, the
traditional brake "calipers" are so close to the tire that it will be
REALLY difficult to put ANYTHING over the tires without it hitting some
part of the brakes. I could imagine a sort of knobby rubber belt that
wraps snugly around the tire, but I could also imagine it slipping off
sideways in turns or when maneuvering and locking up the wheel.

That's a very good point, thanks. :-)

So, I'd have to look at a lot of different bikes to see if there's a way
to work within those constraints.

Thanks!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

You are forgetting that the brakes still have to clamp the rim.

Looks like somebody already had the snow chain idea.
http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/tirechains.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:40*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
Everybody knows about tire chains. I'd like to see how they're specified,
especially the "T" where the transverse chains attach to the
circumferential ones.

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

The design is trivial, but I'd have to specify what chain, the "T"
connections, and some kind of connector that's got length compliance, to
accommodate variations in tire diameter and etc.

So, any suggestions on a specific chain, some kind of "T", and a
connector?

I made chains for my garden tractor:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/H...52241925535618
The steel has little traction on dry pavement and practically none on
rock, ie curbstones.
Also the ride is very rough on hard surfaces above a walking speed.

The soft, sticky rubber in these give unbelievable traction on ice:

http://www10.epinions.com/review/Mic...nt_12820123268

I used to ride my Suzuki dirt bike on frozen lakes and snowmobile
trails, with trials universal tires which have a square tread
pattern.

Yabbut, I'm not talking about giving my idea away to tire companies! =:-O

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota...

Looks like somebody already had the snow chain idea.
http://www.icebike.org/Equipment/tirechains.htm

Oh, well.

Maybe I'll start thinking about mousetraps. ;-)

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:40:23 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Everybody knows about tire chains. I'd like to see how they're specified,
especially the "T" where the transverse chains attach to the
circumferential ones.

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

The design is trivial, but I'd have to specify what chain, the "T"
connections, and some kind of connector that's got length compliance, to
accommodate variations in tire diameter and etc.

So, any suggestions on a specific chain, some kind of "T", and a connector?

Thanks,
Rich

My first thought was wrap the tire with cable. but then you could not
use caliper brakes. Same as with Pete's idea. Soo..option #2

Drive a bunch of short tacks through a piece of metal pallet banding;
let a little air out of the tires; put the band on; crimp it and air
up the tire.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

Sheet metal screws from inside out, tire liner, tube.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

I wrapped baling wire around the tire and
wheel when I was in junior high. It worked.
I also kept a drag chute under the seat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

You think the brakes won't grab on those zip-ties? And don't all the
"performance" bikes have disk brakes anyway making that a non issue?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes.

We used to wrap thin dog leash chain around the tires and through the
spokes, a nut and bolt joined the ends. Learned this from the other kids at
the newspaper office. We delivered papers by bike, even through the winter.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 15:19:50 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

Jon Elson wrote:

On 11/04/2010 03:40 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

My wild idea is tire chains for bikes.

I think the big problem is the brakes. Unless you go to disc brakes, the
traditional brake "calipers" are so close to the tire that it will be
REALLY difficult to put ANYTHING over the tires without it hitting some
part of the brakes. I could imagine a sort of knobby rubber belt that
wraps snugly around the tire, but I could also imagine it slipping off
sideways in turns or when maneuvering and locking up the wheel.

That's a very good point, thanks. :-)

So, I'd have to look at a lot of different bikes to see if there's a way
to work within those constraints.

Thanks!
Rich

Just get a spare set of rims and put on studded ice tires - or spiked
if you really want traction on hardpack.
50 #8 X 1/2" robertson screws will make an agressive "spiked" ice and
snow tire - 25 on each side in the outer lugs. You need a good liner
to protect the tube.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/04/2010 03:20 PM, anorton wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Not any more! They'll just have to get close to the chains, and BAM!
the wheel will be stopped.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 5:00*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

I have used larger ZIP ties on my motorcycle for years. I try to avoid
riding on snow and ice but I have used the ZIP ties several times to
make it home in the past twenty years. I carry a back pack and the ZIP
ties don't take up that much space.

DL
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 4, 6:10*pm, Wes wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:
My wild idea is tire chains for bikes. I used to live in Minnesota, in
an apartment that was within bike distance to work. In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

Sheet metal screws from inside out, tire liner, tube.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

I used the screws on my bicycles to. They work great but require quite
a bit more pedaling effort. Doing the front tire is the most
important. You get better results with front and rear though.

A set of cables are easy to make also. Just keep the two outside
cables on the rubber part of the tire. Run short cable cross pieces
and make the sets just long enough to fit over an uninflated tire.
Slip them on and put the wheels on the bike and fill with air. They
will hold like super glue if you get the length just perfect. Your
brake calipers will clear them also because they are above the rims.
My tie idea in another post works great on motorcycles and it would
work on bicycles with disc brakes also but not rim type brakes.

DL.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise writes:

In the winter, I
couldn't bike in the snow. But there are dedicated bicyclists who might
like something like bike tire chains, to drive the bike in adverse
conditions.

Ah, bicycles, the Peltier devices of transportation. Costly, ineffective,
life-threatening, elitist, snobby. The true believer takes an utterly
impossible situation like snow and turns it into an occasion for truly
wacky make-believism.

Tire chains? Why don't you just invent a bicycle-powered helicopter and fly
over all the weather? More feasible than a bicycle in snow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:35:31 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

anorton wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

What? Shouldn't they be equipped with the more efficient DRUM BRAKES?
snort

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We use to ride ten speeds in the snow, even on deer trails at night.
The zip tie one is a good idea, but they weren't available to us at
the time. Fenders are out and it is messy without more traction.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 15:21:29 -0700, Rich Grise

wrote:

My first thought was wrap the tire with cable. but then you could not
use caliper brakes. Same as with Pete's idea. Soo..option #2

Drive a bunch of short tacks through a piece of metal pallet banding;
let a little air out of the tires; put the band on; crimp it and air
up the tire.

This one's pretty clever, but could I grab the same kind of market share
with something like this (how many people have a band crimper, and what
happens when the snow melts?) as could be grabbed by clever marketing of
chains?

Thanks!
Rich

OK, this group is more likely to own a bandsaw blade welder. If you go
into production, they would be pre-welded for differnet size tires.