Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sorta On Topic - Vice Needs...

No, not that kind of vice. I don't really drink, smoke or... well... Never
mind. Let's just get to the point here.

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Vise-6-/G8966

What happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the
bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

If it matters, I already have a large metalworker's vice/anvil thing set-up.
This one is used for smaller, more delicate work - mostly assembling brass
fittings and pneumatic controls for the machines I sell.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

How much taller do you need. That link shows a wood vise and has screw
holes in the jaw plates typical of wood vises I've seen and used to fix
jaw plates. Most I've seen used by wood workers have wooden jaws fitted
to the metal jaw plates so can you make a set and extend them higher.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/28/2010 10:57 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
No, not that kind of vice. I don't really drink, smoke or... well... Never
mind. Let's just get to the point here.

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I

Sorry, I'm being compulsive today. You mean "vise", with an 'S'.
Involving vises with your vices sounds scary.

http://charliephillips.net/humor/ode...l-checker.html

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How much taller do you need. That link shows a wood vise and has screw
holes in the jaw plates typical of wood vises I've seen and used to fix
jaw plates. Most I've seen used by wood workers have wooden jaws fitted to
the metal jaw plates so can you make a set and extend them higher.

That's option #2... Put some "extenders" on there... But I'd rather simply
have a short and a tall wood vize.

(That special spelling was for Tim Wescott's pleasure.)
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/28/2010 01:44 PM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
How much taller do you need. That link shows a wood vise and has screw
holes in the jaw plates typical of wood vises I've seen and used to fix
jaw plates. Most I've seen used by wood workers have wooden jaws fitted to
the metal jaw plates so can you make a set and extend them higher.

That's option #2... Put some "extenders" on there... But I'd rather simply
have a short and a tall wood vize.

(That special spelling was for Tim Wescott's pleasure.)

Did it get by your spell checker :-) ?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
How much taller do you need. That link shows a wood vise and has screw
holes in the jaw plates typical of wood vises I've seen and used to fix
jaw plates. Most I've seen used by wood workers have wooden jaws fitted to
the metal jaw plates so can you make a set and extend them higher.

That's option #2... Put some "extenders" on there... But I'd rather simply
have a short and a tall wood vize.

(That special spelling was for Tim Wescott's pleasure.)

Maybe just a bigger wood vise, do the jaws get taller as they get
wider?. Regarding the spelling my UK dictionary gives it as "vise" or
"vice" in US English, I'm in the UK. BTW I lived in the US for 12 years
and grew up there from an early age and having moved back to the UK had
to learn some new words, pronunciations, and usage but had the benefit
of UK parents. Still took years to get over mentioning garbage cans,
sidewalks, parking lots, etc, I still slip up occasionally.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 28, 10:57*am, "Joe AutoDrill" wrote:
... the wood vice I have now. *It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

The dovetail-slide (machine) vise and rod guides (woodwork)
vise have the common need to apply force near the screw.
Otherwise, the slide binds.

To get better working distance, the old solution was the 'leg vise'
which had a hinge at the bottom (and didn't strictly keep the jaws
parallel).
Most common, nowadays, is to get a big Jorgensen clamp,
(aka wooden handscrew) and hold it in the bench vise.

There are hardware kits so you can make any size you like:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=59472&cat=1,43838,47843
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:http://www.AutoDrill.com
Multiple Spindle Drills:http://www.Multi-Drill.com
VIDEOS:http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
TWITTER:http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK:http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Don't know if there are any "taller" vises out there for woodworking.
Usually you buy the vise or hardware kit and fabricate wood jaws to
suit. Most guys don't take to iron jaws clamping their finished
wooded parts. If the part is too big for the vise, that's what bench
dogs and tail vises are for. That assumes you've got a full
woodworker's type bench to work on this stuff. Otherwise, you can
make-do like I do, get out the Workmate and round up the dogs and hold-
downs for it. I've got the vise parts and screws, just haven't got
anyplace big enough for a full bench.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:25:59 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd wrote:

To get better working distance, the old solution was the 'leg vise'
which had a hinge at the bottom (and didn't strictly keep the jaws
parallel).

Ah, the correct name! I just wasted ten minutes searching for "hinged vise" and
"wooden vise". My dad built one back in the 70s. Worked great on large flat
stuff which is what made it was for. Not worth a durn as a substitute for a
bench vice though.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-28, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
No, not that kind of vice. I don't really drink, smoke or... well... Never
mind. Let's just get to the point here.

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I
need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Vise-6-/G8966

What happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the
bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Have you looked at the Zyliss vise? I have one which I got some
thirty years ago or so. (They have some extra features now, including
the quick-release jaw.)

It probably won't have as tight a grip as the grizzly above,
because a lot of it appears to be precision cast aluminum, but it is
pretty good for a lot of things.

Check out:

http://www.myhomeworkshop.com/zvise.html

I don't use it often, but when I need it, nothing else that I have
will do. (Among other things, it can mount on two ends of the workbench
edge -- or a deck rail in need -- and grip something just a bit shorter
than that workbench or rail.

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

If it matters, I already have a large metalworker's vice/anvil thing set-up.
This one is used for smaller, more delicate work - mostly assembling brass
fittings and pneumatic controls for the machines I sell.

Hmm ... if you are using it to force metal fittings together it
might not be strong enough. It is really made for woodwork.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's option #2... Put some "extenders" on there... But I'd rather
simply
have a short and a tall wood vize.

(That special spelling was for Tim Wescott's pleasure.)

Did it get by your spell checker :-) ?

Nope. But it was worth the harassment from Microsoft.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe just a bigger wood vise, do the jaws get taller as they get wider?.

Not that I've seen - at least in the Grizzly catalog.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2010-10-28, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

My wife bought me one of those things, and I have used it off and on for
about 15 years. Yeah, it "feels" light weight, but it does an awesome job
for some things. I don't think its going to help with Joe's problem, but it's
a cool tool to have when you need it. Years ago I snapped my bench vise
trying to use it as a press to fix a u-joint for a buddy. The Zyliss got
abused for two or three years for everything until I got around to buying a
new bench vise. In fact even now it usually just gets set on the floor
under the work bench when its not in use and in the way, because every time
I actually put it away I have to get it right back out again. The plastic
prismatic jaws are excellent for holding things like motorcycle down tubes
when rebuilding a set of forks, and the regular jaws do a great job for just
holding something in place.

You know... it might help for Joe. I gotta go look at mine, but I think
"square" materials set in it rest on the pins, and just above the screw.
Also, the bottom and top of the jaws will both grip a uniform thickness work
piece if none of the snap in jaws are used.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
[...]

How about something like this?
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=V067

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about something like this?
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=V067

Grumpy,

That's nice... It's got too much holding power for what I need. The guys in
the shop (including me) would break items too often with that baby...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
How about something like this?
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=V067

Grumpy,

That's nice... It's got too much holding power for what I need. The guys in
the shop (including me) would break items too often with that baby...

shorten the handle and hide all the pipes lying around/

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:20:04 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:
How about something like this?
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=V067

I have had one of those for over 20 years, mounted on a steel
workbench bolted to a wall. It has been thrashed when trying to
remove rusted objects etc. highly recommended.

Alan