Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default wire markers

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2010-10-31, Michael A. Terrell ? wrote:
?
? Gunner Asch wrote:
??
?? On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:41:43 -0500, "Pete C." ?
?? wrote:
??
?? ?
?? ?Karl Townsend wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? i have a need to mark wire with numbers in the 300s. i normally use
?? ?? these:
?? ?? http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0?sst=subset
?? ?? or grainger part 3TP40 as an example.
?? ??
?? ?? They only go up to 149. I don't really want to buy a special printer
?? ?? or hand write. Anyone know of a pre printed solution for marking wires
?? ?? with higher numbers?
?? ??
?? ?? FWIW, I'd like to keep the same numbers as the existing machine.
?? ??
?? ?? Karl
?? ?
?? ?I normally use the number wire markers that come in a little carrier of
?? ?10 rolls of 0-9 tape. Since you apply each individual number wrap you
?? ?can do any number you want. I believe they are a Brady product, possibly
?? ?other brands have the same thing as well.

Hmm ... IIRC, the set like that which I have is from 3M -- thin
plastic film number tape.

And a similar roll with the standard color codes represented, if
you can remember which end to read from. (I would always put the LSD
(Least Significant Digit -- not "acid") closest to the termination.

?? Indeed. And the *******s have JACKED up the prices in the last few
?? years.
??
?? $45 for a simple plastic gizmo and 10 rolls of tape????????

Rather steep -- yes. But I got one of each set (somewhat less
than that from an electrical supplies wholesaler, but still pretty
steep)

? I preferred the old flat books of strips. Some batches of the rolls
? had so much release compound that they wouldn't stay on the wire. Some
? wholesalers dropped the entire line for a while, after too many
? complaints.

Hmm -- the flat strips tend to start separating once you start
using them, especially if they have enough years on them in storage first.

Mine rarely lasted through a few jobs before I had to restock. What
was left was rarely useful, unless you didn't care about the sequence
and starting number.

For some types of cables i would type out the information on a
mailing label, wrap it around the wire and cover with clear heat
shrink. That was done with cables used away from my shop, because some
people would try to claim they owned them. It not only had the
description, but my company name and the date they were made.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:45:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
?Gunner Asch wrote:
??
?? Any place close to rent a Uhaul?
?
? A dozen in the area.

Karl may wish to note which are the closest to your place.

He would need at least one tractor trailer.

Thats what I keep telling my visitors..but most manage to stuff a bunch
of Stuff in their rides anyways. Helps keep the Stuff from piling up too
much

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:45:58 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

?
?Gunner Asch wrote:
??
?? Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?? ?
?? ?Gunner Asch wrote:
?? ??
?? ?? Any place close to rent a Uhaul?
?? ?
?? ? A dozen in the area.
??
?? Karl may wish to note which are the closest to your place.
?
?
? He would need at least one tractor trailer.

Thats what I keep telling my visitors..but most manage to stuff a bunch
of Stuff in their rides anyways. Helps keep the Stuff from piling up too
much

I am thinking about giving a local electronics recycler 100 SVGA CRT
monitors to make some working space. I don't want to, but I can't do
anything till they are gone.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
i have a need to mark wire with numbers in the 300s. i normally use
these:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset
or grainger part 3TP40 as an example.

They only go up to 149. I don't really want to buy a special printer
or hand write. Anyone know of a pre printed solution for marking wires
with higher numbers?

FWIW, I'd like to keep the same numbers as the existing machine.

Karl

The best wire identifying system I've found are the type in the URL below.
They don't fade, get illegible due to dirt and won't come off. Where you
would get them in the USA, I have no idea.
http://www.gvk.com.au/pdf/critchley.pdf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-11-21, Grumpy wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
i have a need to mark wire with numbers in the 300s. i normally use

[ ... ]

FWIW, I'd like to keep the same numbers as the existing machine.

[ ... ]

The best wire identifying system I've found are the type in the URL below.
They don't fade, get illegible due to dirt and won't come off. Where you
would get them in the USA, I have no idea.
http://www.gvk.com.au/pdf/critchley.pdf

Well ... since every other page of that PDF has
"Tycho/Electronics" at the bottom right hand corner, and they are the
ones who took over AMP in the US, I would suspect tha they would be
fairly easy to get -- if you were buying sufficient quantities. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We only used wire markers from 0 to 9. We simply taped the needed
digits side by side to get the number needed. 300 takes one 3, and 2
zeroes. I suppose that would be time consuming if you had hundreds of
wires to label, but for a one-off job. why not?

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

Grumpy wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

i have a need to mark wire with numbers in the 300s. i normally use
these:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...N=0&sst=subset
or grainger part 3TP40 as an example.

They only go up to 149. I don't really want to buy a special printer
or hand write. Anyone know of a pre printed solution for marking wires
with higher numbers?

FWIW, I'd like to keep the same numbers as the existing machine.

Karl

The best wire identifying system I've found are the type in the URL below.
They don't fade, get illegible due to dirt and won't come off. Where you
would get them in the USA, I have no idea.
http://www.gvk.com.au/pdf/critchley.pdf

Intimidator Paintball Markers [email protected] UK diy 0 May 21st 09 04:32 AM
So tell me about laser markers/levels Red Green Home Repair 9 March 7th 09 02:05 AM
What will rejuvenate markers? Doc Home Repair 9 November 13th 07 01:26 PM
Prismatic markers BillR Woodturning 6 February 27th 07 12:21 AM
Scope intensity markers, why not Ancient_Hacker Electronics Repair 20 April 10th 06 09:02 PM