Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What causes this?

This is what I observed while degreasing some parts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...th/5121601823/

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This is what I observed while degreasing some parts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...th/5121601823/

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Perhaps it is a surface tension battle between degreaser & oil.
If you brush the parts to clean them & thorougly mix the solution up, does
the motion continue?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312.../with/51216018
23/

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Just a wild ass guess...

Is the solvent a good bit cooler than the ambient air? Could it be water
condensation on the surface?

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" wrote in message
This is what I observed while degreasing some parts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...th/5121601823/

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

It looks like surface tension of two liquids that don't mix. You can
achieve the same results (well, similar) by pouring a tbsp of olive oil into
a pot of water. Stir it up reeeeeally good. Let it sit. As the little
puddles come together, they merge and make bigger puddles. That's what you
have there, except that the densities of the liquids are closer than olive
oil and water, and not as defined, so they appear as almost sheens, and not
globules. But they are joining together to form larger puddles. The white
part is the reflection of the light in the ceiling.

Steve ;-)

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...256724344/with...

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

I*think*it's*a*surface*tension*thing.
Check*this*surface*tension*powered*model*boat.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Nnd...A0boat&f=false

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael Koblic" fired this volley in
:

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

Looks to me like that's an ultrasonic cleaner, and those are cavitation
bubbles, moving due to harmonics in the tray or the shallow fluid.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 20:17:21 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

This is what I observed while degreasing some parts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...th/5121601823/

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

Is this just degreaser and water with parts in a tub, or is there an
ultrasonic unit there? I heard a loud hum in the background of the
video.

I think you're right about the surface tension changing. It appears to
be either grease or degreaser breaking down in the water. "Smart
Scrubbing Bubbles" or "Enzyme Action" as the commercials go.

Either that or you have a brazillion bacteria in your water and they
have no concept of surrender.

--
Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right,
but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-28, Michael Koblic wrote:
This is what I observed while degreasing some parts:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...th/5121601823/

It does not seem to fade or slow down with time. Any clues?

I can't get the images to play on my system. What format? a
".wmv" by any chance?

Anyway -- just guessing:

1) Is there vibration on the surface (some motor running in
contact with it as part of another tool?

2) It could be evaporation causing cooling on the top surface,
and heat from the bench to the tray causing convection? (Or is
there a heat source as part of the cleaner? That would pretty
much *force* convection.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564