DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   9/32" square rods (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/312271-9-32-square-rods.html)

Alex Fine October 25th 10 03:08 PM

9/32" square rods

I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.I
cannot find any suppliers looking in Google.They sell ready made
spindles but they are very expensive,!/4" is too small.Any ideas?
thank you.

spaco October 25th 10 03:20 PM

9/32" square rods

Many vendors sell 9/32" square key stock, including MSC. It usually
comes in 12" lengths.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

[email protected] October 25th 10 06:41 PM

9/32" square rods

On Oct 25, 8:08*am, Alex Fine wrote:
I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.I
cannot find any suppliers looking in Google.They sell ready made
spindles but they are very expensive,!/4" is too small.Any ideas?
thank you.

I've seen spindles in hardware stores, probably not at the big boxes,
though. Some of the old-timey ones had three triangular sections
making up three sides of the square and a setscrew that spread them in
the knob. Those tended not to come off. The latch had a matching key
that went in the missing triangular section, too, check your door
latches. Usually supplied with a fourth section for square holes.
Some other suppliers would be restoration hardware makers(probably
expensive), architectural salvage places(might be cheap), scrounging
around old buildings about to be demolished or maybe an old time
locksmith's shop. Some of those guys accumulate stuff, too. I've had
some that had threads on the corners of the spindle, the knob actually
threaded on and the setscrew was supposed to keep it in place. Never
worked well, but check your knobs first. At least they didn't fall
off if the setscrew got loose, which it always did.

Stan

Alex Fine October 25th 10 07:09 PM

9/32" square rods

Alex Fine wrote:
I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.I
cannot find any suppliers looking in Google.They sell ready made
spindles but they are very expensive,!/4" is too small.Any ideas?
thank you.

That's it,I just ordered 6 pieces,I didn't know it is called "key
stock".What does
key stock mean? Again thank you very much.

whit3rd October 25th 10 09:00 PM

9/32" square rods

On Oct 25, 11:09*am, Alex Fine wrote:

I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.

That's it,I just ordered 6 pieces,I didn't know it is called "key
stock".What does
key stock mean? Again thank you very much.

A gear or wheel can be fitted to a round shaft by cutting a slot
(keyway)
in the shaft and fitting a strip of mild steel, usually square. The
wheel axial hole gets a matching slot, and the key transmits the
torque.
The square-section strips are a standard hardware item, 'key stock'.
The logic, presumably, is that removing the key would unlock the
wheel from the shaft. It's not a door-hardware reference.

Modern designs usually use Woodruff "D" keys (semicircular cut into
the shaft, slot in wheel), though.

Califbill October 26th 10 08:29 AM

9/32" square rods

"whit3rd" wrote in message

On Oct 25, 11:09 am, Alex Fine wrote:

I want to make some door spindles for some old fashioned door knobs.

That's it,I just ordered 6 pieces,I didn't know it is called "key
stock".What does
key stock mean? Again thank you very much.

A gear or wheel can be fitted to a round shaft by cutting a slot
(keyway)
in the shaft and fitting a strip of mild steel, usually square. The
wheel axial hole gets a matching slot, and the key transmits the
torque.
The square-section strips are a standard hardware item, 'key stock'.
The logic, presumably, is that removing the key would unlock the
wheel from the shaft. It's not a door-hardware reference.

Modern designs usually use Woodruff "D" keys (semicircular cut into
the shaft, slot in wheel), though.

Modern designs also use straight keys. Depends on how much power needs to
be transferred. My Jet pump in the riverboat has 4" long keys. But those 3
impellers will absorb more than the 330 hp I can provide.