Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Any recomendations for inexpensive graphing software

I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

While it's hardly simple to use (one person I recommended it to came
back and reported "It's as user friendly as a chain saw") Scilab will
graph nearly anything. And it's a complete math package.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-22, pyotr filipivich wrote:

I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

Well ... you ask for "inexpensive" in the "Subject: " header
and "simple to use" in the body.

Pick one!

A very good, and very powerful graphing program is called
"Gnuplot", and it is even compiled for Windows, as well as for my
favorite unix.

It is *free* for the download.

But it will take some work to learn to use. It can either plot
from tables of data, or can plot very complex functions from formulas,
but it will take some learning.

Here is the main URL:

http://www.gnuplot.info/

And here is a download for Windows:

http://www.sci.muni.cz/~mikulik/gnuplot/

You can either do your calculations in GNUplot, or do them in
the spreadsheet, and generate the tables to plot from.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-22, pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

* * * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

Does*the*Open*Office*spreadsheet*do*3-axis?
It's*free*if*it*does.
Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" on Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:52:29
Excel supports 3 axis graphs, what spreadsheet program are you using?

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

tschus
pyotr

Open Office - calc.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott on Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:37:32 -0700

I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

While it's hardly simple to use (one person I recommended it to came
back and reported "It's as user friendly as a chain saw") Scilab will
graph nearly anything. And it's a complete math package.

Oh - like UNIX. "User Friendly, but very picky about who it
considers a friend."

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" on 23 Oct 2010 05:27:36 GMT
On 2010-10-22, pyotr filipivich wrote:

I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

Well ... you ask for "inexpensive" in the "Subject: " header
and "simple to use" in the body.

Pick one!

Um ... fast?

A very good, and very powerful graphing program is called
"Gnuplot", and it is even compiled for Windows, as well as for my
favorite unix.

It is *free* for the download.

But it will take some work to learn to use. It can either plot
from tables of data, or can plot very complex functions from formulas,
but it will take some learning.

Here is the main URL:

http://www.gnuplot.info/

And here is a download for Windows:

http://www.sci.muni.cz/~mikulik/gnuplot/

You can either do your calculations in GNUplot, or do them in
the spreadsheet, and generate the tables to plot from.

Enjoy,
DoN.

thanks.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" on Sat, 23 Oct 2010
02:42:01 -0700 (PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On 2010-10-22, pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

That's what I have, and it seems to not do three axis - at least when
I feed it three columns of data X, Y, Z - it give me two lines

Karl

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/23/2010 09:45 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Tim on Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:37:32 -0700

I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

While it's hardly simple to use (one person I recommended it to came
back and reported "It's as user friendly as a chain saw") Scilab will
graph nearly anything. And it's a complete math package.

Oh - like UNIX. "User Friendly, but very picky about who it
considers a friend."

:-)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott on Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:47:39 -0700
On 10/23/2010 09:45 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Tim on Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:37:32 -0700
I'm trying to play with the spreadsheet program, and it seems that it
does not support 3 axis graphs. X,Y,Z. nerts

Anyone know of a simple to use graphing program?

While it's hardly simple to use (one person I recommended it to came
back and reported "It's as user friendly as a chain saw") Scilab will
graph nearly anything. And it's a complete math package.

Oh - like UNIX. "User Friendly, but very picky about who it
considers a friend."

:-)

after a quick one day messing with SciLab, I believe you are in
error. It's not hardly simply, it is fairly complex. Of the "Oh Thit
- I recognize that ... it looks like C, I think ..." sort. I used to
know this stuff ... 'know of this stuff' would be more accurate.

OTOH, this looks like it could be "fun". For some values of
"fun". MWahahaahahahaha. Ha!

Thanks for the pointer - now if I can just figure out how to get
it to read a table of numbers and plot the pretty graph.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 23:43:22 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" on 27 Oct 2010 03:50:44 GMT wrote

:...
Did you also look at gnuplot which I mentioned earlier? I did
warn that it was not simple -- but was free, and *very* powerful. :-)

And I *know* that I can get gnuplot to plot from a table of
numbers. Here is an example which I regularly use (in the form of a
script in unix format):

That there is the first problem I'm having with gnuplot - getting
it into a working unit under windows. I've let all the computer nerd
stuff I use to have slide, so I'm now with a very "vanilla" system.
(Whine, whine, whine)

Okay sniveling aside. I downloaded
gnuplot-4.3.0-2009-07-08.tar.gz and opened it up into its very own
subdirectory - "Gnuplot" But I find nothing which I recognize as an
application. Okay, buildvms.com and make_vms.com - but while I recognize
them [...]

gnuplot-4.3.0-2009-07-08.tar.gz probably is source files that need to
be compiled to create runnable programs. Instead of trying to do
that, go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot/files/ and
click on the gp442win32.zip link, to get binary files already
compiled specifically for MS Windows. When you unzip the
file, a lot of .dll and .exe files will appear in the binary/
subdirectory. Read the file README.Windows for binary
Installation directions. (File INSTALL, which tells how to compile
from sources, has an MS Windows section about halfway thru,
but installing binaries is simpler than compiling sources.)

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" on 28 Oct 2010 02:41:25 GMT

- but while I
recognize them ("Well, looky thar, hits a program!" "Yep, and it
looks like what you'd use on makefiles." Dang, I knew I should have
spent more time paying attention to the teacher and not the pretty
girls [We-uns had Girls in our comsci program!]") Where the heck was
I? Besides babbling.

You had "comsci" programs? With girls! Such luxury. I was
long out of school, and had to learn all this stuff myself. (Granted,
girls would have probably made it more difficult to focus on the
learning. :-)

LOL.

The "girls" were more mature, shall we say. Fem-Geeks, they do
exist. And one of the stories was of one of the younger instructors
turning from the white board, where he'd been explaining intricacies
of C, and realized that half the women had been staring at his butt.
(My SO at the time said "What? he has a cute butt!")
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

on Wed, 27 Oct 2010 23:35:15 -0700 (PDT) typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 James W had pointed that out. =A0I'll keep the gnu files =

"for
later". =A0Will give me an excuse to mess with Linux. =A0Hmmm, I have a
spare box ... I mean seriously, I was given two complete functional
computer, and two extra monitors ... not all I need to do is wander
past the thrift store for keyboards and mice...
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!- Hide quoted text -

Don't NEED the spare box, just run linux(or whatever) in a virtual
box.

I may not need a spare box, I just have them. With lots of room
on the hard drives, too. That way, no fears about totally grapping
things.

MS' free Virtual PC kind of sucks, so see
www.virtualbox.org.
Allows USB access, can share a folder with the host machine(handy for
passing stuff in and out), just works better. Don't let that stop you
from getting another box running, though. This is cheap(as in free),
can boot from an iso disk image( no physical CDs), took me about a
half hour to get it installed and running a variety of distros. Only
limited by available memory and disk. Can go the other way, too, MS
under linux. I use it a lot for testing customized boot DVDs. If you
backup the virtual machine image file, a screwup is as easy to fix as
copying the backup copy over the original. If you get a cheap 1T
drive, you can have as many backups as you want.

Stan