Old October 2nd 10, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What would you use to lubricate drawer slides

I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

Old October 2nd 10, 05:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32343 wrote:
I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

It depends, grease is messy but effective. Dry silicon spray will work
well on wood slides and also work on metal. I use the dry silicon on my
wood tool box draws.

John
Old October 2nd 10, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-10-02, john wrote:
Ignoramus32343 wrote:
I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

It depends, grease is messy but effective. Dry silicon spray will work
well on wood slides and also work on metal. I use the dry silicon on my
wood tool box draws.

I used bar and chain oil on one slide, seems to work decently.

Old October 2nd 10, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32343 wrote in
:

I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

White lithium grease, the spray can variety maybe?
Old October 2nd 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 21:25:58 -0500, Ignoramus32343
wrote:

I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

I'd avoid grease. It's messy, and it will hold dust and grit. I'd go
with silicone spray or teflon spray -- or thin strips of teflon, nylon
or delrin if you can find such material.

Old October 2nd 10, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

I tend to grab my can of paste floor wax.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old October 2nd 10, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

=========
If these are wood slides, old time solution is to rub with a
candle stub or a bar of [real] soap such as brown laundry or
ivory. Grease will attract dirt/grit and is messy. You
will have to clean and reapply grease or oil fairly
frequently. Much less frequently with candle wax or soap.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Old October 2nd 10, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus32343" wrote in message
I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

Bar soap or canning wax.

Old October 2nd 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus32343 wrote:

I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

beeswax
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Old October 2nd 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I Would like to lubricate drawer slides (friction, not ball bearing),
and wanted to know what you would suggest for this purpose. It seems
that grease is the way to go, but what kind?

I use a stick of Gulf paraffin wax on my wood-on-wood slides.

For rollered slides, I'd go with spray white lithium. The little tube
will get the liquified grease into the axle and then it will solidify.
I used it at the Ford dealership for window regulator rollers, window
channels, hood latches, door/hood/trunk hinges and haven't been
without a can at hand for the past 30 years. Good schtuff, Maynard.

--
Know how to listen, and you will
profit even from those who talk badly.

Drawer slides Anon Ymous Woodworking 9 February 21st 07 01:38 AM
drawer slides Tom Friar Woodworking 7 April 9th 06 11:07 AM
Drawer slides skulde13 Home Repair 3 January 12th 06 04:30 PM
Drawer slides [email protected] Woodworking 24 January 9th 06 06:10 PM
Drawer Slides bole2cant Woodworking 11 February 28th 04 09:01 PM