Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Propane valve question

On Sep 23, 12:49*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Will the connector from a home propane grill line hook up to and work on a
propane fuel tank for a forklift? *Or do I need to get an adapter if there
is such a thing.

Steve

The new-style BBQ tank valves have a POL fitting inside the external
Acme thread, so older equipment can be connected. Will it work? For
equipment that takes a moderate amount of vapor, probably. For
equipment, like engines, that require liquid LP, probably not. If all
you have is a 20 lb bottle and you want to test the engine, hook it
up, stand it on its head and see what you get. Might start and not
keep running. At least you'd know if the engine worked or not. For
engine use, you need a tank with a syphon tube inside so that liquid
gets passed, not vapor. There's a vaporizor on the engine to supply
sufficient gas to do actual work, usually attached to coolant or
engine oil lines to get engine heat.

Or maybe I misunderstood what you're asking, you already have a syphon
tank and want to gravity fill it from a BBQ bottle? Could be done if
you've got a hose with 2 POL fittings. At some point, though, the
float inside the upside-down BBQ tank is going to cut things off when
the level gets low enough. Do it outside, though, with no flammables
or ignition source around. One operator in my home town managed to
burn down a block-square box factory warehouse filled with paper rolls
when his forklift tank leaked and caught on fire. The remains
smouldered for weeks.

Best bet is to find a propane service outfit and see if they have the
special forklift tanks and what they charge for a fill. Might be
worth changing out hose and fitting, too, if it's really old.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:51:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill from a forklift
tank?

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Chandler" wrote

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill from a forklift
tank?

Jim

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a propane business here
and see if I can get an adapter, or if I should just sell them. They are 4
years old, aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My guess is that the fork tanks are worth more than BBQ tanks. As
such, your propane business friend will likely swap them with you. And
then you'll both be using the proper equipment.

He may even swap empty fork tanks, for full BBQ tanks, and still think
he got the better deal. Don't say how much you paid, though.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jim Chandler" wrote

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill from a
forklift
tank?

Jim

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a propane business
here
and see if I can get an adapter, or if I should just sell them. They
are 4
years old, aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:39:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Jim Chandler" wrote

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill from a forklift
tank?

Jim

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a propane business here
and see if I can get an adapter, or if I should just sell them. They are 4
years old, aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

Should be at least a 2:1 swap. 2 BBQ for 1 forklift tank.

Or sell 1 to me. Most forklifts I'm looking at do not include a tank.

Most likely not worth the hassel to ship.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randy" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:39:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Jim Chandler" wrote

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill from a forklift
tank?

Jim

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a propane business here
and see if I can get an adapter, or if I should just sell them. They are
4
years old, aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

Should be at least a 2:1 swap. 2 BBQ for 1 forklift tank.

Or sell 1 to me. Most forklifts I'm looking at do not include a tank.

Most likely not worth the hassel to ship.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Where do you live? I see them on ebay, so they must ship empty.

The new nice aluminum ones are spendy.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jim Chandler" wrote

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill from a forklift
tank?

Jim

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a propane business here
and see if I can get an adapter, or if I should just sell them. They are
4 years old, aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

I wish you were closer. I have an old decrepit Toyota 3 ton lift truck that
runs on propane. I've limped by with only one tank---possible only because
I use the truck only occasionally. Sure would be nice to have a spare,
though.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 07:33:20 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Randy" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:39:26 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Jim Chandler" wrote

[...]

Allentown Pa.
Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 07:35:36 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Jim Chandler" wrote

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill from a forklift
tank?

Jim

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a propane business here
and see if I can get an adapter, or if I should just sell them. They are
4 years old, aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

I wish you were closer. I have an old decrepit Toyota 3 ton lift truck that
runs on propane. I've limped by with only one tank---possible only because
I use the truck only occasionally. Sure would be nice to have a spare,
though.

Harold

Harold, where are you located? I think, if I haave my mind in gear,
that you're not too far from me. I'm in Apple Valley, CA. and I have
an old forklift tank that you are welcome to.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Got to be someone (or several someones) who can make the connection
between point A and point B.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message
. ..

"Steve B" wrote in message

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a propane business
here
and see if I can get an adapter, or if I should just sell them.
They are
4 years old, aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

I wish you were closer. I have an old decrepit Toyota 3 ton lift
truck that
runs on propane. I've limped by with only one tank---possible only
because
I use the truck only occasionally. Sure would be nice to have a spare,
though.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
"Jim Chandler" wrote

I think what he is asking is, can he run his BBQ grill
from a forklift
tank?

Jim

Hold your phone calls, folks. We have a winner!

Will take the tank to a long time friend who owns a
propane business here and see if I can get an adapter, or
if I should just sell them. They are 4 years old,
aluminum, clean, and I got 5 of them for $20.

Figured I could at least break even.

Steve

Just for grins I did a websearch for propane refilling and
came across this:

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/propane_refill.html

Perhaps it'll interest someone here..... phil