Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's a "Guided Tower"

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:39:07 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:57 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Tower, as in radio or cellphone antenna towers.

I enjoyed watching this video of a worker climbing a 1700+ foot tall
tower which was referred to as a "guided tower". It was sent to me by
our worker's comp insurer who stated that tower climbing was the most
dangerous job in America.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/20...hink-your.html

Rats, the video already got pulled.

I always miss out on the good stuff.

Jon

Look he

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1284570385

Well, as of Thursday 1:30 PM Eeast Coast USA time its still up at:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f2d_1284588370

If gone from there just Google +"Stairway To Heaven" +tower and you'll
find lots of other locations.

Jeff

That's cool, thanks, I thought they where going to be successful on
taking it down. People need to get a grip, so what... If that is the
way it is done then so what ! If the insurance companies are so
worried about it just connect each worker to each other and one must
have a line attached at a time. Hmmm that won't work, it will get
caught way too many times and endanger them more.

Hey, I put up flood lights on the gable ends of my house yesterday
and at 15 feet I'm about ready to just freeze and clutch the ladder.
But, I can walk right up on the edge of a bond beam of a 18 foot deep
pool and lean over and drive in a concrete nail with no problem.

I thought crop dusting was the most dangerous or close up there. I've
stood in a crop duster going under power lines, that was cool, can
understand why they almost always duck when going under. I probably
would have ended up crop dusting or even worse if everything didn't go
to **** as usual. Would have paid better than pools.

SW
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sunworshipper wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:39:07 -0400, jeff_wisnia
wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:

On Sep 15, 6:57 pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

[...]

Try climbing a 130' TV broadcast tower with no safety gear, then
watching the Norther Lights for three or four hours while sitting near
the top. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

Most newbies, after their awareness jump, at one time or another say,
"That's the most fun I've ever had with my pants on!"

Cheers!
Rich

Not bad for a rush. Rates about a 6.5 to 7.

For a solid 8 try landing a jet on an aircraft carrier.

For a 10, do it at night in bad weather.

Carrier pilots say the best things a man can experience in life are
a good orgasm and a fine bowel movement.
Trapping on the boat you can experience both at the same time.

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:58:21 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop
to the ground. ;-)

I painted four floors of a hospital stairwell one night after a dozen
beers and local anisetic to remove a self inflicted fishhook from the
back of my neck. When we reached the ground floor, there was nothing
left to expel!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop
to the ground. ;-)

I painted four floors of a hospital stairwell one night after a dozen
beers and local anisetic to remove a self inflicted fishhook from the
back of my neck. When we reached the ground floor, there was nothing
left to expel!

I'll bet that the orderlies wanted to put that fishhook back in you.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:36:09 -0700, Rich the Cynic
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:58:21 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I understand that flagpole painting is another fun job like this one.

If you're REALLY good, you can paint the whole flagpole as you drop
to the ground. ;-)

That would be especially easy for you, Michael - you could hold two
extra paintbrushes in your feet!

Well, unless he _drank_ too much paint and...

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:45:07 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:56:07 -0700, Jim Stewart wrote:
Ignoramus12065 wrote:

Did you notice how regular skydivers were adrenaline junkies? Doing
random dangerous things just to get a rush?

My flying instructor and hangermate flew jump
planes for two years. He said he was always
greatly amused at the change in the jumpers'
disposition the few times he had to tell them
that the plane was broke and that he had to
return to the field without letting them jump.

Apparently that adrenaline window is rather narrow.

I'd definitely rather jump out of a broken plane than try to land in it.

Statistically, it's safer. ;-)

That's true only if you are wearing a chute.

--
You do not need a parachute to skydive.
You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:36:33 -0500, Ignoramus12065

On 2010-09-16, Rich Grise wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:08:35 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus12523 wrote:

When my older son was 3, I took him to Imax, he almost vomited. I
would say that you are right. I have a fear of height too, though I
did skydive once, using a static line method. It was quite scary.

Static line? You mean bungee-jump? I'd never do that since there is no
backup and no time to deploy a backup anyway. I did go skydiving from
14,000' (tandem) and it was spectacular and highly recommended.

With sky
diving, you deploy the parachute at ~4,000' which leaves time to deploy
the reserve parachute if there is a problem with the main.

A tandem jump is NOT skydiving. A tandem jump is a carny ride.

Skydiving is when there's nobody up ther but you and God, and God
doesn't talk to skydivers - he thinks we're crazy, and nothing
between you and the ground but your parachute and your training.

I wouldn't take a tandem jump if you paid me. (well, depending on
how _much_ you paid me - I am a whore, after all. ;-) )

For Iggy, no, it's not a bungee-jump - it means that the ripcord
is attached to the airplane, so the chute CAN'T not open.

And there isn't enough money in the world to get me to bungee-jump.

When I was in skydiving training, we had to take five static line
jumps before we were qualified to pull our own ripcord.

Did you notice how regular skydivers were adrenaline junkies? Doing
random dangerous things just to get a rush?

Hardly random..and carefully planned.

Doing it as you suggested...means they only get a couple rushes and then
a dirt nap.

Good junkies go for the long years.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Ignoramus12065 wrote:

Did you notice how regular skydivers were adrenaline junkies? Doing
random dangerous things just to get a rush?

My flying instructor and hangermate flew jump
planes for two years. He said he was always
greatly amused at the change in the jumpers'
disposition the few times he had to tell them
that the plane was broke and that he had to
return to the field without letting them jump.

Apparently that adrenaline window is rather narrow.

Even with the plane not broken, landing on a clay runway in that little
Cessna was a lot scarier than jumping out of the plane.