Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default IGGY - Pocket Drilling

On 9/12/2010 9:52 PM, Ignoramus478 wrote:

Post results of lspci, you should be able to make it work.

I will help you.

Ok, thanks! Going to go ahead and do the full install of Unbuntu,
reinstall the card, and I'll let you know what I get.
I'm not going to jump through too many hoops though as the wireless
setup is only temporary while I've got the computer upstairs.
Soon as I start to hook it up to the mill, I'll run cable.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Iggy, Unbuntu and network card?

On 09/13/2010 12:40 AM, Ignoramus478 wrote:

While this is very educational and I sometimes crimp cables (as I did
when I wired our house for Ethernet), it is much easier to buy a
standard size cable on Newegg. And it will be Cat5E or Cat6 at least.

Try Monoprice for premade cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

(watchout for line wrap) 100foot, your choice of color, $ 8.88 each.

technomaNge
--
That's fine in practice, but
it will never work in theory.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-14, Comrade technomaNge wrote:
On 09/13/2010 12:40 AM, Ignoramus478 wrote:

While this is very educational and I sometimes crimp cables (as I did
when I wired our house for Ethernet), it is much easier to buy a
standard size cable on Newegg. And it will be Cat5E or Cat6 at least.

Try Monoprice for premade cables.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

(watchout for line wrap) 100foot, your choice of color, $ 8.88 each.

Oh, yes, they are great. I actually need to buy a few proper length
network cables for my Bridgeport mill. Very timely, I forgot about
them. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-13, Jon Anderson wrote:

[ ... ]

I could run a cable, I think I have one long enough. But will
have to research and see if the 3Com cards I have are compatible...

Do you know how to make a RJ-45 ethernet cable?

You want some CAT-5 cable (at least two pair, likely four pair).

[ ... ]

While this is very educational and I sometimes crimp cables (as I did
when I wired our house for Ethernet), it is much easier to buy a
standard size cable on Newegg. And it will be Cat5E or Cat6 at least.

Well ... he *did* express some uncertainty as to whether he had
a cable which was long enough. ("I think I have one long enough.") If
it turned out to be at the limits of commercially available cables, I
thought that he might consider making one to fit. And it is a little
easier to drill a hole just large enough for the cable without connector
to squeeze through and crimp the connectors on the end once threaded
through.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/14/2010 9:01 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Well ... he *did* express some uncertainty as to whether he had
a cable which was long enough. ("I think I have one long enough.")

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'll spend 20 minutes clearing the
bench downstairs before buying a one-shot tool when there's
alternatives. I can get Cat5 cable couplers for a couple bucks.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-15, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/14/2010 9:01 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Well ... he *did* express some uncertainty as to whether he had
a cable which was long enough. ("I think I have one long enough.")

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'll spend 20 minutes clearing the
bench downstairs before buying a one-shot tool when there's
alternatives. I can get Cat5 cable couplers for a couple bucks.

O.K. For me, it is not a one-shot tool. I make custom cables
all the time -- matched to the length needed -- from very short to very
long -- along with occasional crossover cables.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-15, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 9/14/2010 9:01 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

Well ... he *did* express some uncertainty as to whether he had
a cable which was long enough. ("I think I have one long enough.")

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'll spend 20 minutes clearing the
bench downstairs before buying a one-shot tool when there's
alternatives. I can get Cat5 cable couplers for a couple bucks.

O.K. For me, it is not a one-shot tool. I make custom cables
all the time -- matched to the length needed -- from very short to very
long -- along with occasional crossover cables.

I prefer factory made to homemade, though I do crimp my own cables,
like when I wired my house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" writes:

Do you know how to make a RJ-45 ethernet cable?

You want some CAT-5 cable (at least two pair, likely four pair).

On this point, I'll disagree with my friend Don.

Buy a cable. They are far cheaper than you'd think, and FAR more reliable.
I used to make my own but...

If you need a cable from A to B; use 2 faceplaces, 2 keystones,
2 patch cables, and a spool of CAT-5. You *can* put the keystones
on reliably.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-13, Jon Anderson wrote:
Quick question, do you have your EMC computer networked, and if so, via
wire or wireless? What card are you using? I looked up the Linksys card
in mine and it's not well supported. Looking for compatible cards, I see
a whole host of issues, including lack of WEP support in some.
I therefore assume there's other cards that will also have issues with
security. I could run a cable, I think I have one long enough. But will
have to research and see if the 3Com cards I have are compatible...

Do you know how to make a RJ-45 ethernet cable?

You want some CAT-5 cable (at least two pair, likely four pair).

You want a *good* RJ-45 crimper. (Some of the cheap ones tend
to fold the connector blades over instead of properly crimping them.

I have never experienced that from a cheap crimper, but I do cabling for a
living so what I think of as a cheap crimper may not be what you think of as
a cheap crimper. I have seen issues from not getting the right RJ-45
connector for the cable. The difference between those for round vs flat
cable are minor compared to getting the right one for stranded VS solid
wire. A stranded wire one will spear the conductor, while one for solid
wire will have offset points that skin the wire. It's a pain to order them
too. Most vendors just want to sell you what they have.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-13, Jon Anderson wrote:
[...]

And a lot of them don't know which type they have.

enough left over to pay them.