Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soda Blasting?

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:48:23 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup method
is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but I'm planning to
clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

Do I need to get a "Soda Blaster" or can I just get a Harbor Freight
pressurized abrasive blaster and fill it with baking soda? Just wondering
how much difference there is between an "Abrasive Blaster" and a "Soda
Blaster"?

RogerN

You will find that baking soda is far far too fine.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 19:48:23 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup method
is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but I'm planning
clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

Do I need to get a "Soda Blaster" or can I just get a Harbor Freight
pressurized abrasive blaster and fill it with baking soda? Just wondering
how much difference there is between an "Abrasive Blaster" and a "Soda
Blaster"?

RogerN

You will find that baking soda is far far too fine.

Gunner

They sell different grades for blasting, they claim it will remove paint or
powder coat but not rust. Soda blasting is also recommended for mold
removal from wood and cleaning up fire and smoke damaged wood. Soda
blasting is supposed to have started with the work on the Statue of Liberty.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

It works well, but takes time, and I was using a large pot and a 175 CFM
compressor. It also leaves an alkaline mess.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 05:34:43 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Correct. But the term "baking soda" indicates a very fine version of
the compound.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 05:34:43 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

snip
Correct. But the term "baking soda" indicates a very fine version of
the compound.

Gunner

I wonder how many boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda it would take? :-)
I'll probably order 3 or 4 50lb bags of soda and when I get a better look I
can see if I'll need more.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 11:18:01 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Wed, 08 Sep 2010 05:28:39 -0700
[...]

So put the baking soda out where it can clump up from humidity,
then screen it for the proper size. Oh, that's right, you don't have
that. B-) Probably don't have mold issues either, eh? B-)

Mold? What kid? Cake or bullet?

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:07:36 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Mold? What kid? Cake or bullet?

Jello!

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Gunner Asch wrote:

Mold? What kid? Cake or bullet?

Butter
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:07:36 -0700
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Wed, 08 Sep 2010 05:28:39 -0700
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 05:34:43 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
m...
[...]

In places where there is humidity, we have an indigenous life from
called "mold". Single celled organism, very little use for humans,
tend to spread toxins in self-defense/aggression. Sort of like
liberals, only quieter. The only real solutions to mold are
de-humidifying the area. and chemicals to kill them off. Neither
really is a one time thing, but must be constantly maintained. Also
like dealing with liberalism.
Unlike Liberals, however, some molds have been found to be useful.
Many Antibiotics were first isolated from cultured molds.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch on Wed, 08 Sep 2010 05:28:39 -0700
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 05:34:43 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ah! The green stuff around dog water bowls and stuff..right?

At 12-15% humidity...mold is not something we normally have a big issue
with.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:30:20 -0700

news:s2sd86106pugoucnhmabopjv6a8b751uoh@4ax. com...
[...]

Green, red, white, the worst is the black. ("... but the worst
was the red." Ballad of Blasphemous Bill.)

At 12-15% humidity...mold is not something we normally have a big issue
with.

I kind of figured as much.
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

In places where there is humidity, we have an indigenous life from
called "mold". Single celled organism, very little use for humans,
tend to spread toxins in self-defense/aggression. Sort of like
liberals, only quieter. The only real solutions to mold are
de-humidifying the area. and chemicals to kill them off. Neither
really is a one time thing, but must be constantly maintained. Also
like dealing with liberalism.
Unlike Liberals, however, some molds have been found to be useful.
Many Antibiotics were first isolated from cultured molds.

OTOH, try to find a cultured liberal...

enough left over to pay them.

Soda Blasting? ATP Metalworking 17 September 11th 10 11:16 PM
Electrolytic Derusting, Baking Soda or Washing Soda? mike[_12_] Metalworking 1 September 30th 09 01:33 AM
Electrolytic Derusting, Baking Soda or Washing Soda? Terry[_2_] Metalworking 0 September 29th 09 11:45 AM
bicarbonate of soda / soda crystals Dot Net Developer UK diy 30 October 10th 07 03:15 PM