Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Soda Blasting?

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup method
is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but I'm planning
to clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

Do I need to get a "Soda Blaster" or can I just get a Harbor Freight
pressurized abrasive blaster and fill it with baking soda? Just wondering
how much difference there is between an "Abrasive Blaster" and a "Soda
Blaster"?

RogerN

I've done a lot of soda blasting. You need a special setup or the soda will
just run right out and the media cost will kill you. Baking soda, even the
larger particles that you blast with, is way finer than black beauty or
other typical media. The baking soda blaster also has some special fittings
you will need to clear clogs that result from moisture. While it may be more
healthy than using other types of blasting media, you can still do a number
on your lungs with the soda storm you create. I think a crawlspace is the
last place I'd want to blast. Consider using chemical solutions and a garden
sprayer instead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

I have some new 3M 7800s full face respirators with air supply hoses I
bought on eBay, I bought mostly because of mold spores but should also keep
baking soda out of lungs. I was originally wanting to blast the mold off
with a pressure washer and a mold cleaning chemical. I heard this would
blast where you didn't want including making stains on the carpet above.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"RogerN" wrote in message

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, a pressure washer from below wouldn't be a good idea.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

In a crawl space, is it necessary to physically remove the mold, or will killing
it suffice?

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/cleanmold1.htm

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful even
if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the root
cause. Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to bad
floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access to the
crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing vents, and
installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

news

"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful
even if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the
root cause. Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to
bad floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access to
the crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing vents, and
installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

RogerN

Home Depot has this stuff and rents the fogger out, I have no idea if it
works, it sounds too good to be true:

http://www.concrobium.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-08, RogerN wrote:

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful even
if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the root
cause.

Absolutely.

Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to bad
floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access
to the crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing
vents, and installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

Just an exhaust fan and better drainage would probably help a lot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-09-08, RogerN wrote:

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful
even
if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the
root
cause.

Absolutely.

Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to bad
floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access
to the crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing
vents, and installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

Just an exhaust fan and better drainage would probably help a lot.

In researching this there are some ventilation systems that use sensors with
fans to ventilate when the outside air would help dry the crawlspace and
they close off when the outside air would bring more moisture into the crawl
space.

There is mold on the floor at the top of the crawl space, no where for
moisture to come from except from the air condensing moisture on the cool
crawlspace. I guess hot moist air entering a cool crawl space brings
moisture in.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful even
if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the root
cause. Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to bad
floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access to the
crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing vents, and
installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

If you will take the floor out it's easier to remove the mold, but still
people are exposed to dead mold all the time and are none the worse for
it. But solving the underlying moisture problem is essential for sure.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

snip
From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful
even
if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the
root
cause. Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to bad
floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access to
the
crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing vents, and
installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

If you will take the floor out it's easier to remove the mold, but still
people are exposed to dead mold all the time and are none the worse for
it. But solving the underlying moisture problem is essential for sure.

Joe Gwinn

I agree, I think it has to do with the amount you get, too much at once and
it can make you sick. Anyway, we'll need the respirators while blasting but
once the dust settles down and we get the baking soda & blasted mold picked
up I don't think we'll need the respirators as much.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 23:33:33 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful even
if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the root
cause. Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to bad
floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access to the
crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing vents, and
installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

I'm having the house pesticided, my floor and beams under the house
treated with TimBor, a vapor barrier put down, and insulation
installed next week. The company doing it will take my ITEX barter
bucks (80%, anyway), which I've saved up for a while now. I hate
working under houses and with fiberglass, though the new stuff is far
less itchy than the old.

Luckily, I have no mold nor termites, but I may have some carpenter
ants.

If you will take the floor out it's easier to remove the mold, but still
people are exposed to dead mold all the time and are none the worse for
it.

There are lots of different types of mold, Joe, but the toxic black
stuff is much nastier than most. I choose to wear a respirator around
lawn mowing, dust, sawdust, and -any- mold. I hope nobody with toxic
black mold takes yours words to heart and disturbs it without
respiratory protection.

But solving the underlying moisture problem is essential for sure.

Ayup.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 23:33:33 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup
method is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but
I'm planning to clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

[snip]

In a crawl space, is it necessary to physically remove the mold, or will
killing it suffice?

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/cleanmold1.htm

Joe Gwinn

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful
[...]

When you say "toxic black mold", what species do you mean? I've handled lots of
black mold, and are none the worse for it. That said, there are lots of mold
species.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 23:33:33 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup
method is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but
I'm planning to clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

[snip]

In a crawl space, is it necessary to physically remove the mold, or will
killing it suffice?

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/cleanmold1.htm

Joe Gwinn

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful
[...]

Some people aren't bothered by it, while other people get quite sick,
or die.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:54:02 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

There are lots of different types of mold, Joe, but the toxic black
stuff is much nastier than most. I choose to wear a respirator around
lawn mowing, dust, sawdust, and -any- mold. I hope nobody with toxic
black mold takes yours words to heart and disturbs it without
respiratory protection.

When you say "toxic black mold", what species do you mean? I've handled lots of
black mold, and are none the worse for it. That said, there are lots of mold
species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachybotrys , the one you need state-
level licensing to remove.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
-- Storm Jameson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:54:02 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

There are lots of different types of mold, Joe, but the toxic black
stuff is much nastier than most. I choose to wear a respirator around
lawn mowing, dust, sawdust, and -any- mold. I hope nobody with toxic
black mold takes yours words to heart and disturbs it without
respiratory protection.

When you say "toxic black mold", what species do you mean? I've handled
lots of black mold, and are none the worse for it. That said, there are lots of
moldspecies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachybotrys , the one you need state-
level licensing to remove.

I had heard of this genus.

Are you duly licensed? There must be a set of approved removal methods.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:16:42 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:54:02 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

There are lots of different types of mold, Joe, but the toxic black
stuff is much nastier than most. I choose to wear a respirator around
lawn mowing, dust, sawdust, and -any- mold. I hope nobody with toxic
black mold takes yours words to heart and disturbs it without
respiratory protection.

When you say "toxic black mold", what species do you mean? I've handled
lots of black mold, and are none the worse for it. That said, there are lots of
moldspecies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stachybotrys , the one you need state-
level licensing to remove.

I had heard of this genus.

Are you duly licensed? There must be a set of approved removal methods.

No, I went as far as the contractor's licencing, but I refuse to be
involved with the (totally bogus) asbestos, (nearly bogus) lead
abatement, or (usually just a bother, but can be really nasty) mold
removal bull****.

You need a lifetime apprenticing in electric to get a Sparky license
here; ditto the plumbing add-on, with steam/pipefitting a whole lot
more additional on top of that. When I finished studying the license
prep book (476 pages, 8.5x11") I shook my head in amazement that they
didn't require hands-on experience or test for _any_ building code
knowledge. It's a political/regulatory thing, I guess. But to ask for
as much as a penny from someone for repairs inside their home, one has
to have a full contractor's license. Go figure.

I can't even do hose-bib-connected _drip_ irrigation without
additional licensing, if you can believe that. Suckage.

Having done nearly all my (and my friends' and family's) electrical,
plumbing, irrigation, and building since about age 6, I resent that.

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
-- Storm Jameson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:16:42 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:54:02 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

If I recall, you are in Oregon. We have the same kind of rules in Mass.

It's a ricebowl issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_rice_bowl

But strangely enough, all hardware stores, plumbing houses, and electrical
suppliers will sell the parts to anyone with money. And life goes on.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 09:32:00 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

I can't even do hose-bib-connected _drip_ irrigation without
additional licensing, if you can believe that. Suckage.

Having done nearly all my (and my friends' and family's) electrical,
plumbing, irrigation, and building since about age 6, I resent that.

If I recall, you are in Oregon. We have the same kind of rules in Mass.

Ayup.

It's a ricebowl issue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_rice_bowl

Yeah. What's our percentage of gov't vs private sector employment
now? 50/50, or closing, innit? sad sigh

But strangely enough, all hardware stores, plumbing houses, and electrical
suppliers will sell the parts to anyone with money.

Yes, thankfully.

And life goes on.

It's legal for the homeowner to do their own electrical, plumbing, and
even mold, asbestos, and lead work. The latter 3 require licensing and
permits, but anyone can qualify.