Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Craigslist - South Bend Lathe 9 - $895 (Belleview)

http://ocala.craigslist.org/tls/1922861701.html

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cncmillgil" skrev i en meddelelse
On Aug 28, 9:05 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
http://ocala.craigslist.org/tls/1922861701.html

enough left over to pay them.

South Bend lathe! I think I read that book in HS. "How to run a
lathe".......... come to think of it they had S.Bends in HS machine
shop.
Nice American made machines at one time, although I'm partial to
good'ol Logans with quick change gear box's & a taper attachment.
later on Sheldons-

South Bend 9" or Logan 9", what is the difference given that they have the
same features?
And Sheldon looks just like another South Bend clone.

But that's just my opinion :-)

Oh by the way I
--
Uffe Bærentsen do have a SB 9" in my shop :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cncmillgil" skrev i en ...
wrote:

http://ocala.craigslist.org/tls/1922861701.html

enough left over to pay them.

South Bend lathe! I think I read that book in HS. "How to run a
lathe".......... come to think of it they had S.Bends in HS machine
shop.
Nice American made machines at one time, although I'm partial *to
good'ol Logans *with quick change gear box's & a taper attachment.
later on *Sheldons-

South Bend 9" or Logan 9", what is the difference given that they have the
same features?

Ya they are both manual engine lathes- same features

And Sheldon looks just like another South Bend clone.

not really using, & just looking at each of the specific models they
all look like clones of each other.
But, when it comes to doing/operation ergonomics(if that exsited then)
I like the Logan- Slightly less heavy duty but very versital with the
quick change gear box(threading & different feed selection.
Flip a lever - cross slide nut disengages for free movement - set bar
& lock cross slide to it & wahla!
I sure all the old lathes had those attachments, but around chi-town
where Logans were made- a bit more popular & common with all those
features- Almost a gaint Jewelers lathe IMHO. A "toolroom" lathe.
The S/B's were bigger production kinda clumsy work horses. Once set
up with proper gearing PITA opening up the case & matching the gears -
you'd go to town.

Now we have MoriSeki's (the Cadillac) with live tooling for light duty
side drilling/milling - subspinde(tailstock) - of corse hyd foot
operated chucks & tailstocks
They are like giant Swiss machines. saweeet let me tell you. But for
500k (tooled) they better be.

But that's just my opinion :-)

Oh by the way I
--
Uffe Bærentsen do have a SB 9" in my shop :-)

--
!g!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cncmillgil wrote:

Now we have MoriSeki's (the Cadillac) with live tooling for light duty
side drilling/milling - subspinde(tailstock) - of corse hyd foot
operated chucks & tailstocks
They are like giant Swiss machines. saweeet let me tell you. But for
500k (tooled) they better be.

If the Mori is a cadillac, what is an Okuma?

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
cncmillgil wrote:

Now we have MoriSeki's (the Cadillac) with live tooling for light duty
side drilling/milling - subspinde(tailstock) - of corse hyd foot
operated chucks & tailstocks
They are like giant Swiss machines. saweeet let me tell you. But for
500k (tooled) they better be.

If the Mori is a cadillac, what is an Okuma?

Wes

A Buick. Roughly.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 29, 6:29*pm, Wes wrote:
cncmillgil wrote:
Now we have MoriSeki's (the Cadillac) with live tooling for light duty
side drilling/milling - subspinde(tailstock) - of corse hyd foot
operated chucks & tailstocks
They are like giant Swiss machines. saweeet let me tell you. But for
500k (tooled) they better be.

If the Mori is a cadillac, what is an Okuma?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeellll leme tellya the Okuma - Mori story- Readers Digest
version

squealing tools a newer P100 Okuma Captain (who knows the machines
past) moved idential program- part & tooling to a new Mori - no
squeal faster cycle time = much more solid machine of the same stature
& size - slant bed live tooling & sub spindle. like I said
saweeeeeeeeeeeet machine.

When the part hits the side thats & it make me fly thats the Mori -
( when the moon hits the sky like a big pizza pie)

so Okuma = Buick agreed

Wes

--

~g~

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My Sheldon lathe - a L 11-44 chrome ways (Big gloat) is the one I and Dad
bought in 1952. Have the sales receipt and even located the salesman
who is retired. We bought it at a big hardware store - basement machine sales.
It has had lite use and is in good to great condition for the age.
It needs a paint job. Fifty years of moving vans and storage around the country
is tough on the paint.

Have the tools that I've increased and remember how to use it but It has
been mine for ten years or so.

Lathes all took on a similar look around the time of WW II. Demands for volume
and needs likely made a lot of them take on a similar spec; and need.
I suspect Scott might have some input knowledge on the subject. "War stories
from his family" of sorts.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/29/2010 4:04 AM, Uffe Bærentsen wrote: