DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   re-purposing golf cart system (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/308829-re-purposing-golf-cart-system.html)

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] August 26th 10 03:29 PM

re-purposing golf cart system

Anyone here have access to the schematics of _any_ golf cart or utility
vehicle using the Curtis/PMC speed controller type #73326G02?

This controller is slightly different than the other Curtis controllers,
including a different polarity drive scheme and use of inductive throttle
position sensor rather than resistive.

I want to build a general-purpose "tug" from parts of an old golf cart, and
cannot find a schematic or app-note specific to that controller. I _think_
the original cart was built in the early 1990s, but can't confirm that,
either. It was an E-Z-Go, but a number of carts have used the Curtis
controllers.

Thanks,
LLoyd

[email protected] August 26th 10 04:38 PM

re-purposing golf cart system

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:29:40 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Anyone here have access to the schematics of _any_ golf cart or utility
vehicle using the Curtis/PMC speed controller type #73326G02?

This controller is slightly different than the other Curtis controllers,
including a different polarity drive scheme and use of inductive throttle
position sensor rather than resistive.

I want to build a general-purpose "tug" from parts of an old golf cart, and
cannot find a schematic or app-note specific to that controller. I _think_
the original cart was built in the early 1990s, but can't confirm that,
either. It was an E-Z-Go, but a number of carts have used the Curtis
controllers.

Thanks,
LLoyd

You sure it is "inductive" and not Hall Effect?

Resistive can be 2 wire or 3 wire. Hall effect is always 3 wire.
Hall effect can USUALLY be used in place of 3 wire resistive - and 3
wire resistive can USUALLY be used in place of hall effect.
Generally 5K ohm for resistive throttles.

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] August 27th 10 02:09 AM

re-purposing golf cart system

fired this volley in
:

You sure it is "inductive" and not Hall Effect?

Absolutely certain. The existing "cart remnants" have a simple coil with
a sliding core moving within to apply throttle. All the "diagonal"
references I can get to the controller indicate "inductive throttle
control".

I don't have a good throttle. It has been smashed (mechanically).

I am thinking about spoofing the system into thinking the coil is there,
and need to better understand the controller before trying.

LLoyd

Leon Fisk August 27th 10 08:24 PM

re-purposing golf cart system

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:29:40 -0500
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Anyone here have access to the schematics of _any_ golf cart or utility
vehicle using the Curtis/PMC speed controller type #73326G02?

snip

Anything on this page that might help?

http://www.curtisinstruments.com/ind...ListDS&CatID=1

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Leon Fisk August 27th 10 09:11 PM

re-purposing golf cart system

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:24:16 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:29:40 -0500
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Anyone here have access to the schematics of _any_ golf cart or utility
vehicle using the Curtis/PMC speed controller type #73326G02?

snip

Anything on this page that might help?

http://www.curtisinstruments.com/ind...ListDS&CatID=1

Actually, this looks a lot more promising:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...est-37553.html

especially this link:

http://www.studmonkeyracing.com/forums/pds.pdf

That controller seems to be built for EZ-GO, proprietary? or so it
seems from what I could find.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] August 27th 10 11:17 PM

re-purposing golf cart system

Leon Fisk fired this volley in
:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...curtis-info-re
quest-37553.html

Yep, thanks.

None of the links on that page are active anymore, but they gave me a clue.
The 1206MX is a replacement for the old 26G02, and after some searching, I
found a service manual for the 1206MX.

It'll work!

LLoyd

[email protected] August 28th 10 05:11 AM

re-purposing golf cart system

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:09:59 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

You sure it is "inductive" and not Hall Effect?

Absolutely certain. The existing "cart remnants" have a simple coil with
a sliding core moving within to apply throttle. All the "diagonal"
references I can get to the controller indicate "inductive throttle
control".

I don't have a good throttle. It has been smashed (mechanically).

I am thinking about spoofing the system into thinking the coil is there,
and need to better understand the controller before trying.

LLoyd

I get ya - it is one of those tuned inductor gizmos - basically a
toilet paper roll wound with fine wire and a ferite slug that slides
in and out of the core, shanging the inductance. Basically an LC tank
instead of an RC tank oscillator circuit.
Darned expensive for what they are!!.

Part number EZGO 25854-G01 , $105 from E-Drives.com

Leon Fisk August 28th 10 08:36 PM

re-purposing golf cart system

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:17:31 -0500
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Leon Fisk fired this volley in
:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...curtis-info-re
quest-37553.html

Yep, thanks.

None of the links on that page are active anymore, but they gave me a clue.
The 1206MX is a replacement for the old 26G02, and after some searching, I
found a service manual for the 1206MX.

This one still works for me:

http://www.studmonkeyracing.com/forums/pds.pdf

Pretty good flow control, block diagram. Maybe not detailed enough for
what you need though...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] August 29th 10 12:36 AM

re-purposing golf cart system

Leon Fisk fired this volley in news:i5boca$mhp$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

http://www.studmonkeyracing.com/forums/pds.pdf

Yep, been on StudMonkey, too.

I have (finally) the service manual in PDF form for the 1206MX-based carts.

So far, I have found no information at all about the inductance of the
"inductive trottle control". But I have faith that I'll be able to use
their trouble-shooting step charts to approximate it by hand.

LLoyd