Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - eBay dreamer

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

I wonder if this was one of the old 915 MHz microwave ovens. The advantage was
very uniform cooking. The disadvantge was that it could not cook bacon. Modern
microwave ovens run at 2450 MHz.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:50:19 GMT, (Doug Miller)

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

by about two
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

But, but, but it's a CLAAAAASIC!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

Huh! We have one even older than that, with the clock dial and a
high/low selector, no keypad. Every once in a while my kids tease the
door switch and it blows a fuse, and the fan motor needs a drop of oil.

But, maybe I should sell it on eBay for MORE than $1000 as a museum
piece, and get a new one!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

I wonder if this was one of the old 915 MHz microwave ovens. The advantage was
very uniform cooking. The disadvantge was that it could not cook bacon. Modern
microwave ovens run at 2450 MHz.

Joe Gwinn

Very unlikely. we have one quite a bit older, and it is clearly a 2450
MHz oven. I doubt any 915 MHz ovens were ever sold for home use, as
they would have needed a license. The move to 2450 MHz was specifically
to satisfy FCC licensing requirements by putting it in a band where
nobody would mind. 915 MHz would get the cell phone companies all
upset. Any 915 MHz oven would have had to come from the early 1970's,
or be a special industrial unit requiring a license.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:07:18 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

Huh! We have one even older than that, with the clock dial and a
high/low selector, no keypad. Every once in a while my kids tease the
door switch and it blows a fuse, and the fan motor needs a drop of oil.

But, maybe I should sell it on eBay for MORE than $1000 as a museum
piece, and get a new one!

Jon

We have one that looks just like the eBay one, and it's VERY difficult
to find a replacement that's as big height and width, but not much
deeper so they don't fit the custom niche in the kitchen (it and the
microwave came with the house). 8-(

I do like the old retro red LED display, but it doesn't cook quite as
evenly as the newer ones (there's a microwave stirrer but no rotating
platter). They also cut corners on the microcontroller reset
circuitry, but that's another story.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:50:19 GMT, (Doug Miller)

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

by about two

Ayup. I bought a very similar one at a thrift store about three years ago for
twenty dollars.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

If you've never cooked a turkey in a microwave, you're really missing out on a
treat. Not only does it cook in 1/4 the time, a turkey cooked in a microwave
is much moister and juicier than one cooked any other way. And therein
lies one advantage to those old Amanas: they're f*cking *huge*: for Christmas
dinner a few years ago, I cooked a _twenty_eight_pound_ turkey in mine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

I wonder if this was one of the old 915 MHz microwave ovens. The
advantage was very uniform cooking. The disadvantge was that it could
not cook bacon. Modern microwave ovens run at 2450 MHz.

Joe Gwinn

Very unlikely. we have one quite a bit older, and it is clearly a 2450
MHz oven. I doubt any 915 MHz ovens were ever sold for home use, as they
would have needed a license. The move to 2450 MHz was specifically to
satisfy FCC licensing requirements by putting it in a band where nobody
would mind. 915 MHz would get the cell phone companies all upset. Any
915 MHz oven would have had to come from the early 1970's, or be a special
industrial unit requiring a license.

Jon

for what it's worth, I have the earlier version of this oven, with the two
analog timers. I bought it new in 1972 for $220 US. In the intervening
years, I have had to clean/unweld the contacts on the "fast" timer once, and
I've bypassed the overcurrent fuse (a thermal fuse inside a resistor) when
the fuse blew (the microwave then put out a couple of bright flashes and has
worked perfectly ever since). My daughter also has one of these, which I
picked up from a neighbor's trash - it also works perfectly. It doesn't
have "features", but what it does have is simplicity and reliability - I
think I prefer the simplicity over a plethora of wonderous but useless
features.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:50:19 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

Yeah, by about 3 orders of magnitude. Used microwave ovens are free,
if you know where to dumpster-dive. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:14:48 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 23:50:19 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

Yeah, by about 3 orders of magnitude. Used microwave ovens are free,
if you know where to dumpster-dive. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Ive got 2-3 Id be happy to give away. Came out of break rooms in the
last couple factories I gutted.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:

This clown has the decimal point in the wrong place.

Same with this clown...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123