Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default High speed spindle

As I was messing around with text engraving, I realized that it would
be very cool to have a high speed spindle.

There is, apparently, a wide variety of purpose made and adapted
devices that are used for this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCHighSpeedSpindleAddOn.htm

The best so far, looks to be this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...Manifold_1.jpg

This is a Bosch Colt palm router attached to the quill. It seems to be
nicely made, and low profile.

In my case, I can use a changeable toolholder to do the attaching, so
that it is easy to take off:

http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...nd_Mill_Holder

This way, I could run a 1/8" end mill at 30,000 RPM, without using the
main mill's spindle bearings. I would use a brake to hold this
assembly in the quill.

It would be, as I said, a quick change setup, easy to be swapped
out. I would just need to figure out a safety interlock mechanism, so
that the main spindle would not be turned on accidentally with this
thing mounted.

It would seem that a holder is easy to make from 6061 or some such,
and the whole project can be done under $200.

I engraved some text yesterday, which took something like 19
minutes. I did it at 2,400 RPM. At 30,000 RPM, it could take only 1.5-2
minutes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

* *http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Other...lantManifold_1...

[...]

Mount the high speed spindle along side the main spindle.
When you need to use the high speed spindle, remove the tool from the
main spindle, and lower it until the high speed spindle reaches the
part. If it is just for engraving. putting a tool back into the main
spindle, and the high speed might not reach the part, it depends on
the job, and the setup, etc.

I once saw a machine where the high speed Precise Spindle was mounted
off to the side, and on a separate slide..
It could be extended down with air, to an adjustable stop. or
retracted. All mounted on a small linear slide assembly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

11933.invalid wrote:
[...]

To be more precise.. ( no pun intended) The extra slide was mounted to
the side of the main spindle. So the Z axis moved both spindles up and
down, but the high speed could be retracted or extended.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

11933.invalid wrote:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tormach-High-Spe...-/310162994022

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDM-SA-MK045-Hig...-/280548061287

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rebuilt-High-spe...-/270621765303
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISE-PKZ25-hi...-/230399561895

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tecnara-HS-3100-...-/370409070389
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISE-HIGH-SPE...-/120603527680

I think if Iggy looks around a bit..he can find a insertable high speed
spindle in his price range. Not sure about his QD attachment though.
Check out the first link above. While its not a heavy duty machine...it
doesnt look too bad for engraving..and the price is right.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

That palm router setup is nice. I like the idea of the pencil air
grinder though, you could install one in a modified end mill holder and
run the air line up through your unused draw bar hole which would mean
no offset from the normal spindle location to deal with.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11933" wrote in message
[...]

I guess it depends on what you mean by engraving. Engraving is usually done
with a spring loaded bit holder that is dragged (not spinning) along the
surface of the material. This allows for engraving some surfaces that are
not perfectly uniform and even to some degree engraving curved surfaces. I
engraved the side of some larger sockets to see how far I could push it with
mine. You can make your own spring loaded engraver with whatever size shaft
is desirable. I would use a lathe, but if you have very low backlash or
have backlash compensation programmed well in your control software you
could do it on your CNC mill. If you don't want to make one there are
atleast two different people selling them on Ebay. Dremel actually sells a
decent tungsten conical point and a conical diamond dust point pretty cheap
that work nicely in my drag engraver.

If you meant to "mill out" letters and only do it rarely then find yourself
a high speed cutter of some kind and make your own mounting bracket for it.
I'm using a couple motors and handpieces right now, but the first link
Gunner listed is a nice example of one using a die grinder. Run out of your
bit or mill holder will determine how small a cutter and/or how fast you can
feed without breaking them. If you don't plan to use it often there are
some pretty cheap drive solutions out there. A decent quality trim router
turns at about 28,000 rpm and has a lot of power.

I would love to have one of those super high speed spindles that just go
right into the mill like a collet, but they are expensive. Of course I
would have to have a machine that would take them. LOL.

I look forward to seeing your ultimate solution.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

I will do this palm router thing. But only after I finish the mill's
controls and this air brake issue.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:43:47 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

That leaves no place for his spindle encoder and a rotating air
connection at the top of the spindle.

Doable..but not practical?

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

Sure it does, his encoder will operate just as well on a hollow shaft as
on a solid one...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Actually, most engraving *is* done with a rotating bit, usually fixed,
but sometimes in a spring loaded mount. All the plastic signs and
nameplates you see are engraved with a rotary bit. Most engraving on
stuff like anodized AL is also rotary cut (or lasered). Drag engraving
is the exception, not the norm.

Iggy will find a high speed spindle and a nice carbide rotary engraving
bit work nicely to engrave lettering and markings on aluminum or plastic
enclosures which can be paint filled for a very nice result.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-18, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

What I means was using a small end mill to mill various shapes, such
as text (as in making panels), or 3D patterns, like toys.

I think that this Bosch Colt palm router is the nicest cheap high
speed motor, because:

1) It is relatively compact (unlike those die grinders), so I can
mount it next to the quill and I do not need a lot of headroom for it.
2) It is a Bosch
3) It has a high horsepower (compared to alternatives)
4) It has variable speed
5) It has a very nice straight round neck for mounting
6) It is only $100-116.
7) It has a 1/4" collet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-18, Pete C. wrote:
Actually, most engraving *is* done with a rotating bit, usually fixed,
but sometimes in a spring loaded mount. All the plastic signs and
nameplates you see are engraved with a rotary bit. Most engraving on
stuff like anodized AL is also rotary cut (or lasered). Drag engraving
is the exception, not the norm.

Iggy will find a high speed spindle and a nice carbide rotary engraving
bit work nicely to engrave lettering and markings on aluminum or plastic
enclosures which can be paint filled for a very nice result.

Which brings up a question, how do you paint fill them? What paint etc

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ignoramus11933 wrote:

[...]

Not if its plugged into the top of the spindle with an expanding
arbor......

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 12:53:49 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Pete is quite correct. A single flute cutter is most often used.

See Ebay ..search terms Gorton Cutter or Gorton Engraver followed by
engraving cutter

Gunner, with a Gorton 3-Z pantograph

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 18, 1:59*pm, Ignoramus28889 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
On 2010-08-18, Pete C. wrote:

Actually, most engraving *is* done with a rotating bit, usually fixed,
but sometimes in a spring loaded mount. All the plastic signs and
nameplates you see are engraved with a rotary bit. Most engraving on
stuff like anodized AL is also rotary cut (or lasered). Drag engraving
is the exception, not the norm.

Iggy will find a high speed spindle and a nice carbide rotary engraving
bit work nicely to engrave lettering and markings on aluminum or plastic
enclosures which can be paint filled for a very nice result.

Which brings up a question, how do you paint fill them? What paint etc

When I was doing engraving (Gorton, Hermes, Green 106), I would use an
Enamel Paint Stick (tradename: Engravocolor Sticks).

It fills in the engraved lines with a medium-soft enamel, that would
harden.

_kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:26:07 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Iggy will find a high speed spindle and a nice carbide rotary engraving
bit work nicely to engrave lettering and markings on aluminum or plastic
enclosures which can be paint filled for a very nice result.

Indeed. Pete is quite correct. A single flute cutter is most often used.

See Ebay ..search terms Gorton Cutter or Gorton Engraver followed by
engraving cutter

http://cgi.ebay.com/PCB-CARBIDE-ENGR...-/370349200329
http://cgi.ebay.com/10-cnc-router-bl...-/160463849218
http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBIDE-TIN-COAT...-/270239554051
http://cgi.ebay.com/5x-CNC-Carbide-E...-/180519440864

Its likely Iggy can find cutters cheaper at some of his auctions or from
some of his contacts from the auctions.

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That leaves no place for his spindle encoder and a rotating air
connection at the top of the spindle.

Sure it does, his encoder will operate just as well on a hollow shaft as
on a solid one...

Not if its plugged into the top of the spindle with an expanding
arbor......

yep, me thinks Iggy be making a mistake to lose his hollow spindle
just for an encoder. There are ways around it.

I see this thread hasn't mentioned spindle speeders. I use a unit that
mounts just like any other tool and the ouput shaft turns 6X the input
with a set of small collets. Scored mine on the bay for $200 and
change.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:36:17 -0500, Karl Townsend

That leaves no place for his spindle encoder and a rotating air
connection at the top of the spindle.

Sure it does, his encoder will operate just as well on a hollow shaft as
on a solid one...

Not if its plugged into the top of the spindle with an expanding
arbor......

yep, me thinks Iggy be making a mistake to lose his hollow spindle
just for an encoder. There are ways around it.

I see this thread hasn't mentioned spindle speeders. I use a unit that
mounts just like any other tool and the ouput shaft turns 6X the input
with a set of small collets. Scored mine on the bay for $200 and
change.

Karl

I thought I included at least one in the links I provided.

On the Gorton mill Im currently using...my top spindle speed is 5000 rpm
So it will push one of those for up to 30k rpm

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-18, Karl Townsend wrote:
That leaves no place for his spindle encoder and a rotating air
connection at the top of the spindle.

Sure it does, his encoder will operate just as well on a hollow shaft as
on a solid one...

Not if its plugged into the top of the spindle with an expanding
arbor......

yep, me thinks Iggy be making a mistake to lose his hollow spindle
just for an encoder. There are ways around it.

I see this thread hasn't mentioned spindle speeders. I use a unit that
mounts just like any other tool and the ouput shaft turns 6X the input
with a set of small collets. Scored mine on the bay for $200 and
change.

That stuff is harder to find in NMTB 30. Lots of it in 40-50 taper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 15:58:41 -0500, Ignoramus28889

On 2010-08-18, Karl Townsend wrote:
That leaves no place for his spindle encoder and a rotating air
connection at the top of the spindle.

Sure it does, his encoder will operate just as well on a hollow shaft as
on a solid one...

Not if its plugged into the top of the spindle with an expanding
arbor......

yep, me thinks Iggy be making a mistake to lose his hollow spindle
just for an encoder. There are ways around it.

I see this thread hasn't mentioned spindle speeders. I use a unit that
mounts just like any other tool and the ouput shaft turns 6X the input
with a set of small collets. Scored mine on the bay for $200 and
change.

That stuff is harder to find in NMTB 30. Lots of it in 40-50 taper.

$5 CNC mills are hard to find too..but..as you proved..they are around

Gunner

--

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28889 wrote:

Iggy will find a high speed spindle and a nice carbide rotary engraving
bit work nicely to engrave lettering and markings on aluminum or plastic
enclosures which can be paint filled for a very nice result.

Which brings up a question, how do you paint fill them? What paint etc

McMaster Carr, lacquer sticks. http://www.mcmaster.com/#lacquer-sticks/=8gob6f
Page 1925 to start.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Ignoramus11933, Steve wrote:
I would assume the bracket holding the router in this photo is clamped to the
milling machine quill, not the spindle, so no safety interlock should be
necessary.

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...le-255646-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow Iggy, Sorry I missed this first time around. SNR was to high I guess.
I've done a lot of what you want to do. I've even used Bosch Colt routers
as mill spindles. Not just for engraving, but for aluminum milling as well.
I also made a mount for a spindle mounted to the side of the quill on my
knee mill.

I'd note that I have high speed engraved steel, aluminum, and brass. It can
come out decent dry, but it looks so much better if milled with flood. I
run SC520 and distilled water at 6-8%.

The Bosch Colt will work wonders. I've clocked a few of them from 32-34K at
top speed. I've worn out a bunch of them, and I still have one mounted a
spindle on my small CNC wood router. It also has its issues. The biggest
one is its a wide open universal brush motor. You might be able to run
flood for engraving as it doesn't throw that much water around with a tiny
little engraver or ball mill, but you need to be aware there is a shock
risk. If you are tempted to do a little more with it you can. I have, but
you will pack them full of chips eventually. I did. If you decided to go
with a Bosch Colt Precise Bits in Colorado makes precision tapered collets
with their own version of an eccentric ring for that router. Its been a
while since I rebuilt one, but I seem to recall its a plastic spindle nose
as well. If you do really long jobs you can melt it. I have. LOL. I've
burned up and wore out a few of them. Porter Cable 690 routers too.

Today I have three mills with 24K water cooled spindles. I use one of them
for all my engraving. They do cost a lot more a spindle, but if you all you
are doing is engraving any of them will work fine. Your horsepower
requirements are miniscule. Almost uncalculateable. A 3 bearing 24K .8kw
is overkill and they aren't all that expensive. If you really want to push
it they make spindles like that for upto 60K. 24K is plenty for me. I
still sometimes do some milling with that machine too.

Somewhere around I have a bracket mount a 65mm .8kw spindle onto 3.375 quill
on my Hurco mill. I used it for doing fine detailed 3D milling as well at
one time. If I think of it tomorrow I'll see if I can find it and snap a
picture.

P.S. I'm not a big fan of Bob Warfield, but he has put together a nice
collection of other people's ideas on his website.