DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Subplates again.... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/307594-re-subplates-again.html)

Pete C. August 4th 10 06:09 PM

Subplates again....

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

Specific Q:

Would a plate full of 1/2-13 holes AND t-slots be redundant?

I would like to go all-holes, but I do see some instances where a t-slot
comes in handy, like when mounting a tailstock for the 4th axis, where you
just want **** "a little tighter". Also, you gotta hope that all the
mounting holes for vises et al can accommodate 1" increments.

Holes fill with chips and are a pain in the ass to clean out...

Yes, so the unused holes should be plugged. Something like nylon
setscrews with slotted tops would work well. I suggest slotted over
something like allen since a slot is easier to wipe gunk out of with a
screwdriver before removing the plug. Filler strips for the T slot are
also a decent idea and could just be a rectangle of plastic stock that
will fill the slot.