DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   This is admirable, and crazy, in its own way (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/307115-admirable-crazy-its-own-way.html)

Ignoramus8984 July 27th 10 02:11 PM

This is admirable, and crazy, in its own way

http://www.5bears.com/cnc01.htm

This guy made a homebrew bench top CNC mill from parts he found on
ebay.

While I admire his skill, and dedication, I cannot help but wonder if
he directed his efforts in the best direction possible.

Ed Huntress July 27th 10 02:52 PM

"Ignoramus8984" wrote in message

This guy made a homebrew bench top CNC mill from parts he found on
ebay.

While I admire his skill, and dedication, I cannot help but wonder if
he directed his efforts in the best direction possible.

Hey, it's a hobby, as he pointed out. You probably would scratch your head
over the filled-cork grips I make for my flyrods, too. I could buy them for
peanuts. Instead, making one takes me several hours of enjoyable, but
cost-ineffective work. g

--
Ed Huntress

Bob Engelhardt July 28th 10 12:50 AM

This is admirable, and crazy, in its own way

My God, how does he get it all done?? There's the mill, the turboprop,
the radial engine, and more. Just the write ups represent a huge amount
of work (there were 38 pages for the mill, I think).

He also has a much bigger shop budget than most of us.

Bob

Jon Elson July 28th 10 04:58 AM

Ignoramus8984 wrote:
http://www.5bears.com/cnc01.htm

This guy made a homebrew bench top CNC mill from parts he found on
ebay.

While I admire his skill, and dedication, I cannot help but wonder if
he directed his efforts in the best direction possible.

Yes, with 80/20 and linear ball slides, the rigidity will be far below
even a crummy
Chinese benchtop mill. Ain't no Bridgeport.

Jon

Wes[_5_] July 29th 10 12:12 AM

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Ignoramus8984" wrote in message
m...

This guy made a homebrew bench top CNC mill from parts he found on
ebay.

While I admire his skill, and dedication, I cannot help but wonder if
he directed his efforts in the best direction possible.

Hey, it's a hobby, as he pointed out. You probably would scratch your head
over the filled-cork grips I make for my flyrods, too. I could buy them for
peanuts. Instead, making one takes me several hours of enjoyable, but
cost-ineffective work. g

I enjoy making things at work to get a work cell up and running. I don't care for making
a 2-4 dollar part that takes 40-80 dollars of my labor because I don't have it in stock.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller